BIGGEST thing you have learned since tracking calories?

Options

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's unprepared. If you mix with water,
    should be about 2 1/2 cups. (Actually, 2 11/16 prepared...)
    There's only 10 3/4 ounces in a can so you can count
    on a serving (like with most soups) as being a cup. If
    you use milk, yes you'd have to add the extra calories, etc..

yes it's unprepared. I only use it in recipes and even then try to use a home-prepared mix instead but I was out of mix and in a hurry the other day when I noticed this difference (too much hurry to mix together a new batch; obviously not too much to read the labels still :laugh:)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I learned that I was just clueless when it came to portion size, calories, servings per container/package - esp small packages. It never occurred to be there would be say 3 servings in a small bag of nuts.

I also finally learned that there are no "bad" foods. I can enjoy all sorts of foods and drop weight
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I've learned portion control, and I've learned that it's really really easy to deceive myself, unless I measure all my food. No guesstimates -- they don't work.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale is an eye opener and I can still eat whatever I want but with portion control.
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    If the label says half a cup or tbsp how do you measure on the scale ?
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    Oh and I have learned to think before I eat ! What could I eat that's a better choice or will fill me up? I've learned that when I gain weight it doesn't mean it's all over and to give up but to work harder.
    I've learned MFP is awesome!
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    - I learned how many calories I was DRINKING before (I was never big on soda, but Starbucks coffees etc) on a regular basis
    - I learned that I can still eat what I want, and still lose weight
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've learned that although I thought I was mostly eating healthy that the occasional fast food/alcohol binge were doing way more dammge then I had ever imagined...talk about the horror 8o
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1. I like to snack...a lot.
    2. I like to snack a lot right before I go to sleep.
    3. I should stop snacking before I go to sleep.
    4. I still haven't stopped snacking before I go to sleep.
    5. When food is healthy, it's less calories, therefore I can eat more.

*sigh* By bedtime, I usually have maybe 100 calories left and I almost always use it up for a midnight snack. I still have yet to control this eating habit.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I hate calories.

The best little things are the things with usually the most calories!
  • Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I binge a lot so tracking my calories helped me control that.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I learned that there are a lot of foods I like that I just never knew I did because I wouldn't give them a chance when I was younger, like sweet peppers, avocado, & green onions. I never knew I liked veggies in general - & now I voluntarily snack on veggies with greek yogurt ranch or hummus - that never would have happened a year ago!
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I exercise I CAN EAT MORE !!!!!

This!

I've also learned that there ARE exercise s that I enjoy... turns out I love Zumba and step aerobics. I NEVER thought I would look forward to working out, but that has started happening in the last week or so. (Before MFP, my slogan was, "The only time you'll ever see me run is if there is a bear behind me.")
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I learned that I eat a lot more salt than I thought I did. Still working on that one, but it's been an eye opener.
  • Choc46
    Choc46 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was very sad the day I learned what 40g of cheese looked like
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A cup in a cup is not the same as a a cup I "think" is a cup.

Portion control is key.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I used to think that a standard serving was a lot bigger than it actually is. Once I started counting calories and weighing my foods I didn't think a standard serving would not be enough to satisfy me.... and it didn't when I first started out, but it does now. :smile:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If the label says half a cup or tbsp how do you measure on the scale ?

The label will also say, in (parentheses) next to where it says 1/2 cup or 1 tbsp, how many grams the item is (so on oatmeal it says Serving Size: 1/2 cup (40g) ). 40g is the weight.
  • rachellleanne
    Options
    - To distinguish between hunger and cravings

- To control my portion sizes and bulk out my meals with vegetables

- That I used to use way too much cooking oil! Just logging those calories at the beginning made me use way less

- That I probably wasn't getting enough protein. I now eat a lot more beans/lentils etc (I'm a vegan)

- That I used to deny myself snacks which led to binging on high carb/unhealthy foods. Now I snack on fruit/vegetable sticks etc and don't let myself get too hungry

- Knowing that I have to log my food makes me 'think before I eat' and makes me less likely to graze

- Also, to not just to look at the calorie content but the nutritional make up overall
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Look it up BEFORE I eat it. It only takes a couple of Oh ****! log entries to learn that one. I can pass on a lot of things now that just aren't worth the calorie hit.