Kale Recipes?

Options
monicaP413
monicaP413 Posts: 165
Anyone have any good kale recipes? I got a bunch of kale and want to do something different. Thanks! =)

Replies

• melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You can absolutely stuff kale or spinach into a fruit smoothie without being able to taste it much. It makes the colour go a bit vile, but if you put enough in, it will go chocolate brown. Try
    20g kale
    3-4 strawberries or other fruit
    almond milk and water
  • AnyankaSigrun
    Options
    I like to make kale chips by taking out the thick stems and spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake for 10-15 mins. at 325. Yummy to snack on and very low calorie.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my sister in law made this incredible recipe with kale she roasted chicken with kale, peppercinis and garlic............................TO DIE FOR
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    kale chips

toast kale chips with sea salt in oven until crisp. They are so delicious!
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Kale Chips!

Oven at 325
    10-15 minutes

I tear the kale into small chunks, spray with cooking spray. Garlic salt and 1tbsp of NUTRITIONAL YEAST!
  • yukifer
    yukifer Posts: 41
    Options
    I love Kale!

Kale (Steamed Lightly) - 1-2 Cups
    A protein (buffalo, chicken, smoked tofu) - 100g
    Beans (Adzuki or Black eyed peas) - 100g

and two tablespoons of this dressing...

Blend together
    -1/2 C. Olive Oil
    -1/3 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
    -1 clove or garlic
    -1 Tbsp. Bragg's Aminos (or soy sauce)
    -1 Tsp Sri Racha (optional)
    -1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast Flakes

I make a variation of this dressing all the time, sometimes I'll put in peanut butter or an avocado or add a little lime juice and leave out the yeast flakes.

Just put about 2 tbsp of dressing on your food and refrigerate the rest.

This will fill you up and you'll want to swap out/experiment with different combinations of protein, vegetables and beans.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto and triple kale chips! Nom. Nom. Nom. I use olive oil spray to coat them evenly.
  • CumberlandGrammy
    CumberlandGrammy Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am kale obsessed! I often just sautee' it in a little olive oil with a little garlic and then sprinkle a little toasted sesame oil and sea salt on it. We eat this often for dinner. Here is a recipe for a raw kale salad that I made for a potluck for a very conventional group of folks. I was stunned at how popular my dish was. I happened to have a little fresh parsley that I tossed in it as well. It was quick and so tasty! I hope you enjoy it!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/04/5-step-raw-kale-salad.html
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I am kale obsessed! I often just sautee' it in a little olive oil with a little garlic and then sprinkle a little toasted sesame oil and sea salt on it. We eat this often for dinner. Here is a recipe for a raw kale salad that I made for a potluck for a very conventional group of folks. I was stunned at how popular my dish was. I happened to have a little fresh parsley that I tossed in it as well. It was quick and so tasty! I hope you enjoy it!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/04/5-step-raw-kale-salad.html

This sounds goooood!
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I am excited to try these!! :smile:
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made a kale and polenta pie last week. It's sort of like a quiche except without rich ingredients, and I thought it was very good. If you follow the recipe exactly it's a little bland, but adjusting the salt and splurging on a little more cheese perks it up. Here it is:

1/2 lb kale, washed and finely chopped (pull the leafy green parts off the tough center of each leaf and discard the centers)
    1 cup instant polenta
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 Tbls plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt

Boil 3.5 cups water. Add the chopped kale, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 Tbls oil. Cover and cook about 6 minutes, until kale is tender.
    Reduce heat to low and gradually add the polenta. Stir it in over the course of about a minute. Partially cover and cook until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
    Take the pot off the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning (add a little more salt if needed).
    Grease a 9" round cake pan with the remaining 2 tsp of oil. Scrape the kale- polenta mixture into the pan.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
    Cool until barely warm, at least 30 minutes. Don't rush this - the polenta firms up as it cools. Cut into wedges and serve.
    1/6 of the pie is about 160 calories.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have found you can put it in ANYTHING and it's good--I started out putting it in my chicken noodle soup (whole boiled chicken, boned: add can cream of chicken soup, packet of dried veggie soup mix, bunch of celery chopped, carrots chopped, KALE kinda chopped into ribbons and pasta or frozen noodles) and now I even add it to chili! Anything you'd add onions to, just put the kale in at the same time--it takes about the same time to cook. Only thing is--when you grab that leftover chili and first look in that dish, you think THERE'S GREEN STUFF IN MY CHILI DIDN'T I JUST MAKE THAT YESTERDAY????
  • Tinkerbell1988
    Tinkerbell1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to make a kind of stir fry with it. Kale, spinach, onion, mushrooms, garlic, a little sesame oil with rice noodles. Sooo good.