carb free diet?

Options
So today I tried a carb free diet for the first time, not following Atkins or anything just doing it on my own. It went great. I wasn't tired and I felt full. Any tips or advice for starting a diet like this? I really think it's what I need to get my weight loss going, I've been at a stand still for so long and this is with working out 6x a week.

Thanks y'all. :smile:

Replies

• Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well are you eating any carbs? Im eating 30 grms a day and feel pretty lethargic and not much energy to do anything, but thats just me. Usually takes a few days to get your body into ketosis.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what a carb free diet is? You only eat unprocessed meat?
    That's the only way anyone could do carb free.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not eating breads, etc...Just meat, veggies, fruit and nuts?
    I have done the South Beach diet. Not the frozen food stuff, just the eating plan. It's no grains at all for the first 2 weeks. I was really hungry the first few days but then I was fine. I did learn that you have to add healthy fats like avocado and nuts. If you don't, you get cranky. Also, add more protein because it will keep you fuller longer.
    This kind of diet really works well but it's hard to sustain for a long time. But, It will kick start your weight loss efforts.
    Good luck!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    That's the only way anyone could so carb free.

Same thoughts as me. I'm trying to think of something other than meat that has no carbs. Even iceburg lettuce has carbohydrates in it.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    Be careful adding more protein.... Yes you do need more but I wouldn't recommend going over board with it because it can have adverse effects.

I still don't even eat a pound of meat a day and I upped mine quite a bit..
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do a low carb diet (about 25 gram a day tops), this is a great resource: reddit.com/r/keto

Feel free to add me if you'd like to look at my diary.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    That's the only way anyone could so carb free.

Same thoughts as me. I'm trying to think of something other than meat that has no carbs. Even iceburg lettuce has carbohydrates in it.

Exactly :) any veggies and eggs and cheeses or nuts or berries or fruits have carbs... So zero would be hard to sustain long term...

I do low carb and get 25 actual carbs a day.. Not net... But I couldn't imagine ever eating zero.
  • storky46
    storky46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet right after it first became popular, about 10 years ago, and my cholesterol dropped 100 points in 6 months. I dropped 35 pounds in that length of time, and I lived on the maintenance version for 3 years. Then bread became my staple again...sigh. Alas, I gained all that back and more after going to work full time, sitting at a computer all day, and no exercise except a round of golf on the weekend. The diet really works. But it needs to be a permanent lifestyle change to be successful. To maintain, I found that if I ate something with carbs, I tried to eat something that had 10 grams maximum carbs to a serving. That helped me keep true to the low carb healthy eating. I was amazed at the connection of high cholesterol to a high carb diet! If you struggle with cholesterol, this is a great way to stay off the statins! But beware that going back to a high to normal carb diet is risky, in that it is easy to be back in the carb trap....and your cholesterol going back up where it was. If you are a carb addict like I am, you just cannot cheat very much and have it work!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, so I eat relatively low carb (approx 100g ) normally.Wouldn't working out require more carbs? I've noticed since I've been pushing it hard at the gym, I've been getting 150-200g of carbs a day, and even taking less insulin and losing more weight. I don't know, I think a balanced diet works best and extremes just make you cranky lol.