Why have I not lost weight?

Options

Replies

• littlemsfattie
    Options
    I know exactly how much I'm eating because I track my calories. The numbers I told you that I am burning off are actually LOWER then what I am doing so I know that's not the problem. I am not eating as few calories as possible! I'm eating normally! I eat chips and brownies but I just manage to eat healthy stuff that is not high in calories so most of my calories are from junk food that I burn off anyway. I am only complaining because I have hit plateaus before like last year and earlier this year, I have for some reason lost 20 lbs last year without trying and now that I'm trying nothing is coming off! But I guess it could be my sodium. I will try weighing myself in a couple of weeks, I'm also measuring myself (hips, waist, neck, arms and thighs) so hopefully those numbers will go down!

sorry but netting 500 calories on some days is not "eating normally" ….

and if your lost 20 pounds without trying, why didn't you just keep doing what you were doing before…

I sense a troll...

What the ****? I'm not a troll. Yeah it is eating normally because I BURNED it all off in the gym. I'm serious about the gym that's why im netting so low. **** off

Ok, then you have an eating disorder…seek help, immediately…

there is nothing normal about your eating habits…

also, your burns are probably off if you are using gym equipment to measure them ...

For breakfast I had three apple pancakes, for lunch I had roasted vegetable lasagna, for lunch I had a fruit smoothie, I worked out and burned a little more then 600 calories. Another day I had scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and a pita bread for breakfast, for lunch I had a sandwich with soup, for dinner I had roast vegetable lasagna, for a snack I had chips. I burned 616 calories. Does that sound like an eating disorder to you? It's quite offensive that you would suggest that. My doctor is fine with what I'm doing. I eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner and I always snack throughout the day. so if you would please stop telling me what's normal and what's not that would be great :)

again, netting 300 calories for the day is not "normal" if a DR is telling you that then get a new DR…

but good luck with what you are doing …it seems to be working

I only netted 300 calories once because i slept in and skipped breakfast. Stop talking about it, my doctor is fine, one of the best in my province.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Have fun messing up your metabolism and burning away your muscles.
    This system is designed as such that you eat back your exercise calories.
    1200 calories is the bare minumum anyone should be netting to lose weight. Even those under 5 foot are eating more than you are.
    But since you seem to know it all, and have no wish to take on board the perfectly sensible advice of those who have been successful here, by eating enough to fuel themselves properly, I have no idea why you wasted time posting this topic.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Is that your stomach in your picture? I want a stomach like that!!!!
    Really? If that is you...you look fantastic and don't need to lose anything!!!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started working out last Thursday, March 13. I weighed myself this morning, Thursday march 20 and didn't lose any weight, not even 0.1lbs. I'll tell you what my remaining calories were everyday. (The first number is the number of calories I consumed that day, the second number I am subtracting if the calories I burned doing exercise and the last number total is the net.
    March 13: 1122 - 516 = 646
    March 14: 828 - 516 = 312
    March 15: 1830 - 646 = 1185
    March 16: 1315 - 688 =627
    March 17: 1807- 616 = 1191
    March 18: 1996-616 = 1380
    March 19: 1235 -673 = 562
    As you see, my net calories are very low, I don't starve myself or skip meals. I eat normally and work out at the gym (1 hour 5 min of AMT -advanced motion trainer- and then 15-20 minutes of strength). Today I was so pissed off that I didn't lose any weight I went and burned 913 just on the AMT (And probably more like 1000 when I was finished my entire workout) I am 18 years old, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 240lbs. My recommended calorie intake is 22, 113 cals a week to maintain my weight. Since last Thursday I had 5903 cals which means I should've lost at least 4.5lbs right? PLEASE HELP! I thought I would've lost 2lbs of water weight at least...thank you so so much :)
    Btw don't tell me to eat more. I already snack and pig out so much, I don't try and stay under my calorie goal of 1252 it just happens, that's just me on a regular day so I'm not going to eat more and stuff myself to lose weight. That doesn't make sense.

This bolded part makes me very concerned (among other things). That is not a healthy relationship with food or exercise, and may be something that needs attention. I can understand where ndj1979 is coming from.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I started working out last Thursday, March 13. I weighed myself this morning, Thursday march 20 and didn't lose any weight, not even 0.1lbs. I'll tell you what my remaining calories were everyday. (The first number is the number of calories I consumed that day, the second number I am subtracting if the calories I burned doing exercise and the last number total is the net.
    As you see, my net calories are very low, I don't starve myself or skip meals. I eat normally and work out at the gym (1 hour 5 min of AMT -advanced motion trainer- and then 15-20 minutes of strength). Today I was so pissed off that I didn't lose any weight I went and burned 913 just on the AMT (And probably more like 1000 when I was finished my entire workout) I am 18 years old, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 240lbs. My recommended calorie intake is 22, 113 cals a week to maintain my weight. Since last Thursday I had 5903 cals which means I should've lost at least 4.5lbs right? PLEASE HELP! I thought I would've lost 2lbs of water weight at least...thank you so so much :)
    Btw don't tell me to eat more. I already snack and pig out so much, I don't try and stay under my calorie goal of 1252 it just happens, that's just me on a regular day so I'm not going to eat more and stuff myself to lose weight. That doesn't make sense.

So you ate 16,219 calories less than recommended for the week... That is a large deficit if that isn't even including what you worked off exercising.

I can see the concern. If your goal is 1252 a day but 22,113 is what is recommended for a week then why the drastic difference?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how much I'm eating because I track my calories. The numbers I told you that I am burning off are actually LOWER then what I am doing so I know that's not the problem. I am not eating as few calories as possible! I'm eating normally! I eat chips and brownies but I just manage to eat healthy stuff that is not high in calories so most of my calories are from junk food that I burn off anyway. I am only complaining because I have hit plateaus before like last year and earlier this year, I have for some reason lost 20 lbs last year without trying and now that I'm trying nothing is coming off! But I guess it could be my sodium. I will try weighing myself in a couple of weeks, I'm also measuring myself (hips, waist, neck, arms and thighs) so hopefully those numbers will go down!

sorry but netting 500 calories on some days is not "eating normally" ….

and if your lost 20 pounds without trying, why didn't you just keep doing what you were doing before…

I sense a troll...

What the ****? I'm not a troll. Yeah it is eating normally because I BURNED it all off in the gym. I'm serious about the gym that's why im netting so low. **** off

Okay, now I'm in...

...to tell OP that she should listen to the very people who seem to have rustled her jimmies. They might just be right.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I started strength training and cardio about a month ago. I didnt see a loss all month until today. You will gain water weight the first couple weeks. Dont get discouraged. Keep doing your thing. Sooner than later youll see the scale move. Another thing might be that you lost inches instead of weight. Have you checked that?

Seriously? "Keep at it"? What part should she keep at? Netting as low as 300 some days? Punishing herself with additional exercise? Lashing out at those trying to help her fix/understand her problem?

Nah, forget it. Great advice.

Keep at it, OP. You got this! :flowerforyou:
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    I think the OP is massively overestimating calories burnt! I suspect its half what was posted as 600 cals a day burnt off most days seems like torture
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is massively overestimating calories burnt! I suspect its half what was posted as 600 cals a day burnt off most days seems like torture

Op weighs over 240 Ibs.
    A 240 Ib body burns a lot of calories.
    I am under 140Ibs.
    I often have 1100 calorie burns. Because I workout hard.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would check out my blog. I address the scale issue. I hope it helps
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AwesomeGuy37/view/answers-to-why-am-i-not-losing-weight-639657
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i never lost weight eating 1200 or fewer calories
    When someone told me to eat more,i thought they were crazy!!!
    but i tried it and BAM first week 3lbs gone then every week after that i was losing 1-2lbs per week!
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options

Op weighs over 240 Ibs.
    A 240 Ib body burns a lot of calories.
    I am under 140Ibs.
    I often have 1100 calorie burns. Because I workout hard.

ofcourse yeh I forgot about that, I was just thinking that at 125lbs I would need to run 6 miles a day to knock off that many calories
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options

If you'd like a sincere reply with constructive suggestions, would you open your food diary, please?
  • jenuwefa
    jenuwefa Posts: 1
    Options
    You do understand that your body needs some calories in order to function? If you're burning them all off at the gym, your body goes into "starvation mode" and hangs on to every bit of spare body fat it can. Your calorie goal is just that - it's not something to be beaten. If you are "snacking and pigging out" and still eating less than 1200 calories, what are you eating??? Styrofoam peanuts?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    success2.jpg

Same goes for fat loss.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You do understand that your body needs some calories in order to function? If you're burning them all off at the gym, your body goes into "starvation mode" and hangs on to every bit of spare body fat it can. Your calorie goal is just that - it's not something to be beaten. If you are "snacking and pigging out" and still eating less than 1200 calories, what are you eating??? Styrofoam peanuts?

No... she doesn't understand. She's 18 years old, asking for advice from a community of people that have experience, and yelling at them that they're wrong when they give her sound advice.
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    I'm 18, I do what a hywant! I been there too, we all have but if you're serious about losing the weight then... Well, actually... It sounds like you should be losing weight if all of that is true. I was just 190lbs when I decided to try Medifast for a month and I lost 15lbs. I was doing cardio and having about 1,500 calories a day. It was crazy weight loss for not being that "fat", I lost a lot of muscle too so I'm not entirely condoning it.

You may want to look into "ketosis". It's a diet (like Medifast) that limits carb consumption. Basically your body runs on either carb or fat for energy, if you restrict the limit on carbs then your body will run on your fat source for energy (burns it like fuel). Some people live by this method entirely but I would only do it when I had a lot of fat to lose. Plus I too enjoy living a life where I'm not worried about what I eat as much but if you have a long way to go then you're going to have to make some sacrifices.

I don't want to call you a liar if you've put in good work but see where you're at in a month. If it's all true and you've lost nothing then what do you want people to say, you're different than everyone else? You're a failure and should give up? Hell no. If you want, you can try to limit your carb consumption. It's really hard though, try to limit your carbs under 150g or up to 100g if you can. There are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate so that's only 400-600 calories a day from carbs alone (means you have to eat lots of protein or <gasp> fats!).

Don't be too hard on yourself and just don't quit. People do that all the time or relapse back into poor eating patterns or lose consistency with their exercise routine, in fact everyone does that. It's all about learning the process of a new healthy you. There are people who could take over your body and drop 70lbs in 6 months but it's just not how it works. You simply just get better at figuring yourself out (your body) as you gain more knowledge about diet and exercise and figuring out whatever goal you may have.

TLDR; Something doesn't sound right, try keto, don't quit, you get better along the way.

Peeeeeace
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Keep up your program, and you can get ready for this down the road, sooner or later depending on how you deal with this oh so awful week of no weight loss.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

And a life time of yo-yo dieting. Each time gaining more fat, each time harder to lose.
    And what's your body going to do as it keeps going up in weight each time?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

You probably aren't even aware that you yourself can mess up your hormones that control feelings of hunger.

You feeling full and your body being fully fed for your level of activity are 2 entirely separate things.

You can also mess up your thyroid, requiring meds at some point just for normal metabolism.

Life can get really interesting then. If you think this week is a bummer - get ready to be depressed, or get really pissed.
  • littlemsfattie
    Options
    Honestly all of you were almost no help except a couple of you. You were basically yelling at me, and saying I'm wrong and to do this and do that and to stop complaining. Obviously it's aggravating, I came here for support and got that from almost none of you. I have experience with this and as I said I lost 20lbs last year which is why I'm confused to why I can't lose weight now. I eat salads and snack on carrots and dip, all low low low calories. All I put into my body is nutrients so that's why it's low. Most of my calories come from my breakfast which is eggs and bacon and toast. That has a lot of salt so I think I didn't lose weight because of water retention. Thanks anyways.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think the point is you need to eat at least 1200 calories and half your exercise calories back as you body needs a certain amount of calories in general to function properly.

So just eat at least the 1200, preferably more, and half your estimated exercise calories back and you will loose weight.

Give it a try. I understand you lost weight a certain way before but now its not working. So again, give what I said a try and I'm sure you will see results.

If you are open to another suggestion go to this link and put in your information and it will give you the correct calories you need to loose weight..and the cool thing is it counters in your exercise calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck and I hope that you are open to my suggestions. I think they would really help you. :flowerforyou: