Coke Zero?

Options
So I'm kind of soda obsessed and when I decided to lose weight I started drinking Coke Zeros. My aunt mentioned that they're bad for you to drink while losing weight because something in it makes you hungry, but I don't feel hungry at all! I eat and I'm good. Are there any other reasons why they're bad to drink when losing weight?

Replies

• juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally try to avoid soda and drink only water and home brewed tea, but I think a can (not bottle) a day wouldn't hurt. I have heard that more than 2 or 3 cans is where people run into problems.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of diet soda and it hasn't effected my weight loss at all. I know it's probably not the best thing ever but it will not stop you from losing weight in any way.
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do it. Have a look at the sodium content it is sky high. Salt adds to fluid retention and slows down weight loss.
    It wont make you fat, but it wont make you skinny either.
    Water, the elixir of life, the best thing for your body, if you want a healthy drink, try a Kale smoothie. Sounds gross. But you will be feeling awesome in a weeks time. Your body will be giving you a bid high five. The only thing you will get from a Zero coke is zero results.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have one can of Coke Zero with lunch every single day! Love it! I want to lose weight and change my lifestyle and be strong and fit .... but I also want to live and not feel like I'm depriving myself all the time. Everything in moderation, in my opinion!
  • tendzz
    tendzz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It gives you massive cravings, you just gotta not act on then.
  • meganmarie1992
    meganmarie1992 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sure artificial sweeteners are probably bad for you in some way, just like all processed, chemical-loaded foods. Here's my justification... if it results in an overall healthier you, then I think it's worth it!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do it. Have a look at the sodium content it is sky high. Salt adds to fluid retention and slows down weight loss.
    Water, the elixir of life, the best thing for your body, if you want a healthy drink, try a Kale smoothie. Sounds gross. But you will be feeling awesome in a weeks time. Your body will be giving you a bid high five. The only thing you will get from a Zero coke is zero results.

Coke Zero has less salt than cheese. It's actually very very very little sodium at all. Look at how much weight I've lost & I drink heaps of it. Zero results you say?
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The sodium is not sky high at all. A 12oz can has 40mg. That's actually very low. Diet soda helped me lose 50 lbs. I prefer to eat my vegetables not drink them. Kale smoothie is no substitute for a soda craving I'm sorry!
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    kale or spinach smoothies 50% green and 50% in season fruit- delicious. I actually consider it my 'treat' these days. Makes me feel amazing.
  • DebbieBiff
    Options
    Im not a health expert...I just know what suits me....I eat and drink things that I like so I can keep on track..including coke zero. I have lost 57lb in almost 4 months..so I guess it cant be that bad
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't drink calories and so I typically try to only drink water and various types of teas (green mostly) but I do have soda occasionally and it's always diet. (Diet Dr Pepper is my fave) It hasn't affected my weight loss in any way...but I do think drinking them in excess is bad, due to the Aspertame in it and other things. I've heard it can affect the brain but I'm no expert on it. I think as long as you have it in moderation, it won't hurt. A can of diet soda every now and then....
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options

How is 70mg of sodium "sky high"? (The site I used said 70 mg but it may be less) Seriously...you are mistaken. I've lost over 70 lbs and I occasionally do have diet soda.
  • Naseer787
    Naseer787 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bad habit to drink in daiting schudule
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you're just a calorie-in/calorie-out kind of person, then it might work for you. But I wouldn't necessarily drink a ton of the stuff just because it's not the best thing for you to drink (same with Splenda, the stuff in Coke Zero). Making the switch from regular to diet pop helped me drop four pounds when I first did it.

My suggestion is you grab yourself some anti-flatulence pills if you're going to drink it. Same with anything else that's so-called sugar free.
  • billbrendan
    Options
    I don't understand why alarmist people are always bring up sodium content. It is only a serious concern for people with hypertension...

Also as tarrylioness pointed out, 70mg is hardly 'sky high'. If you are drinking enough water, it should not affect fluid retention whatsoever.

More concerning are the potential side affects of aspartame, but as long as you are not drinking too much, it's probably fine. Otherwise, there are some diet sodas which are sweetened with sucralose, which I personally find to be a better tasting alternative anyway.
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of Coke Zero when I was starting with my weight loss journey. It was part of the transition I planned to start eating healthy and curb my addiction to it high calorie counterpart. I was drinking a liter a day of Coke Zero back then. Eventually, as the habit of eating healthy developed I find myself little by little taking the Coke Zero out of my diet. From a liter a day, I was down to 500mL a week and now I don't even know why I drank a lot of soda back then.
  • EvanElric
    EvanElric Posts: 34
    Options
    I drink litres of the stuff per day.. :/ probably not good for tooth enamel but I haven't noticed it causing any cravings and am losing weight just fine.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink coke zero.

If I have too much in one week I notice an impact on my asthma, but otherwise have noticed no impact (apart from the effects of caffeine).
  • rachie25half
    rachie25half Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There has been research that shows that using too much artificial sweetener can cause overeating and lead to diabetes. However, I suspect if you drink in moderation, there won't be a problem. Moderation is the key to any diet.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

What happens if you are in a caloric deficit and have habitually high sodium intake? (and low potassium)

Aspartame is not metabolized by people who suffer phenylketonuria. If you don't experience any side affects like headaches then you likely don't have that.

I'd drink water for the majority of they time however.

And before anyone brings up the carcinogenic studies, they were done on rats and is the equivalent of around 20L of diet soda a day. If you are drinking that much, then you have other issues :laugh: