Where do I go from here?

Options
I think the first step toward becoming a better person is admitting that you have a problem, and wanting to take action to fix it. The second is not becoming paralyzed by the daunting realization that, sometimes, you can't do that alone.

Weight has always been the ugly skeleton in my closet, since I was young. It fluctuated a lot, and, more often than not, I'd do my best to avoid that there was an issue, binge diet and do whatever hard-core exercise I could to lose a bit of weight to satiate the hollow feeling of loathing for the woman that stared back at me in the mirror every morning and every night. I was in an on-again off-again relationship with the scale--some days we were great friends, others we refused to talk to each other (or, more accurately, I would hide it under the bathroom sink until I felt willing to pull it out again). My beloved sweets were often shuttled away for more healthy things, but still teased in the background, somehow finding ways into my life when I was most vulnerable--after my father's heart attack, for example, when, in a single year, I gained 20 pounds out of total emotional eating; partially because I was upset that something like that would happen, and part because, after he did make a miraculous recovery, he took the time to point out how portly I was.

Fast forward a few years, give or take a few more.

My life isn't bad. In a lot of regards, I actually have it pretty nice. An amazing, supportive husband who I love more than life itself; the opportunity to go back to school; two wonderful cats. I am happy with those things. My appearance, well. After taking off a large amount of weight for our wedding, through health issues (I struggle with insomnia and severe headaches, as well as bouts of depression--surprise, surprise), the stress of being out of work and going back to school as an almost thirty-something, I gained back much of what I lost. And I was pissed.

So, I tried to have another go at losing, this time without the bingeing. I began doing heavy cardio and strength training three days a week and brisk, uphill walking (I live in Seattle, everything is uphill) two. I purged the house of salty snacks or anything with an over-abundance of sodium. I cut back on carbs. I eat three meals; cereals in the morning, a light lunch, and lean proteins, veggies and rice (my husband is Asian, it's a staple for both of us). No sodas, just water, 1% milk and a small cup of coffee a few mornings every week. And, looking in the mirror, I felt like there were changes. My face didn't look as plump, and what was this, was there a figure under those rolls? I was even entertaining the idea of getting a cute swimsuit for our honeymoon in July. Going in for my physical today, I was confident that I had at least lost something.

And yet, somehow, in six months, I had gained almost twenty pounds, despite all of this.

I've been crying all day. I'm sure there are people who can relate. It's more than a one-step-forward two-steps-back feeling. It's a sucker punch to the jaw and, just as you stagger back to your feet, dazed and confused on what just hit you, you're knocked down again. My doctor had no guidance for me other than "Stop being fat." I've done everything they told me to, so to say that I'm mystified is a misnomer. I'm floored. I have blood work to check my thyroid, as hypothyroidism runs in the family, and in some ways I do hope that that might be the cause for this.

So, in so many words, that's why I find myself here, in the middle of the night, laying myself far more bare than I had anticipated I would when I first started writing this. I feel lost. Helpless. Hopeless. I haven't the slightest inkling as of what to do, so I'm doing the one thing that was suggested to me that I haven't tried: Reaching out.

I've always struggled with my weight and, more than that, personal image problems. The two seem to go hand-in-hand for me. That's why I'm here; superficially, at least. I want to stop hating how I look, and how I feel. To be healthy, both physically and emotionally. That's what I want from this. Numbers are irrelevant to me, because I have no real guideline, no way of knowing where I should or want to be. I can assume.

My question, in so many words, is where do I go from here?

Thank you, and I apologize for the giant wall of text.

Replies

• X_littlemiss_X
    Options
    Hey :) I do I can relate, but instead of posting it on the thread ill send you a pm.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a huge hug..

I've no advice. I think we all struggle in our own way..

The only thing I can think of saying is - don't put so much reliance on the scale number. Look in the mirror and use your clothes as a measure. Measure inches - not weight..

I started with training 3 times a week with a trainer on a strict low carb diet. I thought I was going to be sorted after 6 weeks.. I lost 5lbs.. Was devestated.. But then I realised that my "3rd boob" (the roll of fat under my bra) was gone! And the rolls of fat behind my shoulder blades were gone! Still have plenty to loose. But even though the scales gave me crap results, I did have an inches result.

So rather than obsess on the negative crap weight loss result, I'm trying to focus on the positive inches lost result. Now, its hard. I feel I'm crawling forward, not bounding like I imagined. But its going forward.. And thats the important thing

Put away the scales. Push yourself to sweat. If you can walk uphill for 1 mile in 15 mins, see can you do it in 10 mins.. Keep pushing to get fitter. Stop thinking about the weight. Thinking about it won't shift it. I know, I've obsessed long enough and its still there. And when you think you see a fitter body - celebrate. Even if you only see it on one day!!

You will get there. Concentrate on the positives. Don't let the negatives drag you down. When you hear that little voice going "but you didn't..." sing a happy song or quote a happy poem - just push the negatives away. And smile.. Smile, smile, smile.. You'd be amazed how smiling actually makes you feel happier. Even when you don't feel good, smile. Honestly, it works. Makes you look like a *kitten* driving round with a big smile on your face, but you know, who cares. You feel happy and smiling is contagious.. So you're spreading it around..

Big hugs.. I hope you find your answers. I hope someone here can guide you on your weight loss journey. And mostly I hope you find your smile and you hang onto it!!

:happy:
  • gzoesch
    gzoesch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mrs.Void

I feel the pain of your post, I've often been there myself. Is it possible though, through the strength training and other exercise that you gained muscle weight instead of fat or bloat weight? It sounds like you're doing everything right, and that you're seeing changes in the mirror. Keep it up, your chin and the healthy habbits. It will happen if you stay on your current path. Keeping the faith for you =)
  • Ellie23R
    Ellie23R Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello there,

I am so sorry to see you say this because I have felt and feel the same way sometimes, and I know how much that hurts.

The advice I could give is two fold: numbers don't matter & no excuses. I think I weigh 160+ but I haven't been on a scale in over a year. I am 5' 9". I have seen pictures of other people with the same metrics and I do not look like all of them, and they don't look like me. I am a size 6/8 and 28/29 jeans. While I'm not comfortable with my body, I know that I look "better" than a # may make me think. I know my muscle tone, my bones, my hips, my chest etc. I don't want to be this weight for long, but I am not in crisis mode due to the numbers. It is ALL what the mirror says & sometimes the mirror says crisis but that leads me to the next point.

My no excuses thing has really helped me. I am "on" a NET 800-1000 calorie diet (so like mfp subtracts workouts etc). That diet is not flexible during most of the week, but I DO NOT let it get in the way of my social life and family, which very low calorie diets often time do. I do not go out for dinner or drinks and say "oh no I will not log this," or have "cheat meals"... I make healthy choices and don't obsess that that meal and 3 glasses of wine will probably mean that I'm "in the red," Its not a cheat meal, its normal and if you're eating right and working out most of the time, its okay! I log all meals, discretely, and not obsessively. It all is about where your head is at. I find that this diet gets me the nutrition I need, provides me enough energy to keep moving forward and because of my positive attitude and my desire to control it rather than for it to control me I think It will work.

Everything about dieting and losing weight is mental. When you let it consume you (and trust me I struggle with this every day!!!!) you can't win. Take time to work on a happier YOU- yoga, a new hair cut, spruced up wardrobe, and a positive attitude and the confidence you will gain will carry you through your weight loss goals. Plus, you'll have a lot more fun doing it.

I am new to this site and I hope this is appropriate. It comes from the heart!

Best wishes and Best of luck,

E
  • PearlSheep
    PearlSheep Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful comments and support here as well as through PM. I wasn't expecting to get any sort of response after writing that last night--in many ways, I wrote it more for myself than anything else. It really does mean a lot.

Solly123: Thank you so much, I've already started reaching out to a few members for advice, guidance and general cheer-leading. I can't tell if it's helped or not, since it's far too early to see if things have stuck, but I certainly feel a bit better. My numbers hang-ups are more perpetuated by doctors, to be quite honest. I've shuffled between four different physicians over the last year due to numerous issues, and most focus more on shaming than on helping and giving advice. I'm hoping that the one I'm trying to move toward being my PCP, who has actually been fairly supportive through my fight with insomnia, will fare better.

gzoesch: I'm not entirely sure if things are simply settling (maybe my gut is descending, which is a terrifying thought) or if it's added muscle mass, but the numbers I was told were terrifying. I'm still not sure how so much could have changed over that amount of time.

Ellie23R: Doing these little things to make me feel better has been hard for a number of reasons--finances, the feeling that if I go out and spend $X on a new outfit, it will just be too small in a few months anyway, so why bother--so right now, I'm trying to work on getting those external factors taken care of before I try to pamper myself.