Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• AfterDarkMike
    AfterDarkMike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make oat flour for baking. Turn it to dust in a food processor, then use it instead of regular flour. Use about 15-20% less oat flour than you would white flour.

That's kinda what I do.. I grind them and mix the oat flower into my liquid egg white and make, basically a pancake. A decent ratio is 1/2 a cup of egg white to 1/3 of a cup of pre ground flakes.

Funny, flakes are always cheaper than oat flower.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I make a 4 serving batch of steel cut oats on sunday and then bring a portion to work M-Th. I add a drizzle of maple syrup and about 2 tsp of homemade (not by me) strawberry jam. I know it adds some sugar, but I like it sweet. Keeps me full til lunch.

I do the same thing, but I usually just top off a serving with a little sugar and blueberries or raspberries. OR, if I'm craving chocolate, I put 2 Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups in the center, after I've heated up my oatmeal. I mix in the chocolate and peanut butter and it tastes like a huge treat!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm going to Trader Joe's today to buy some of these ingredients. I didn't know you can do so much. No more instant for me!! Thanks guys!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I go really plain. I take 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water, zap in the microwave for 2 minutes on high and top with a little artificial sweetener.

ETA: if you ever get sunburned or heat rash, or even poison ivy, take 1/2 cup oats and tie into the toe (with room to expand) of an old knee-high stocking or cut a length including the toe from a pair of pantyhose. Take a bath and let the oatmeal soak a little, then squeeze the milky water over the effected area, letting the bathwater get milkier. Soak in the bathwater, Very soothing.

Both of my kids have eczema(sp?) So sometimes I put oatmeal in their bath water, when they are itchy. It helps alot.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats - but I'm not sure if they work as well if you use something other than quick oats...

my go to is:
    1/3 cup of oats
    1/3 cup vanilla almond or soy milkl
    1/3 vanilla fat free greek yogurt
    1 tbs nut butter of choice (been chocolate dreams pb co lately)
    1 tbs mini chocolate chips
    1/2 banana sliced

I mix it up in a mason jar and let it sit over night... usually make 2 or 3 at a time and then its just grab and go in the morning. Just have to make sure you mix it up well... delish and keeps me full for 4-5 hours easy...

there's a ton of other recipes for overnight oats online if you do a google search... kath eats blog alone had enough for a month!
  • hstnljean
    hstnljean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of variations, but my favorites include adding in bananas and nutella, and another one is cocoa powder, sugar (or other sweetener of choice) and peanut butter.
    This sounds good I will have to try nutella what I do is 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup oats 1/4 cup blue berrys (or any other fresh frozen or caned) 1tabblespoon peanut butter with 1/4 cup plain (flavored yogurt is good too) fat free greek yogurt little sweetener if needed
    This morning I had apple cinnamon and pancake syrup
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Make oat flour for baking. Turn it to dust in a food processor, then use it instead of regular flour. Use about 15-20% less oat flour than you would white flour.

I do this, also I'll throw in some frozen berries than cook it up and add a hefty amount of cinnamon, some raw unsalted pumpkin/sun flower seeds, walnuts and half a cup of unsweetened almond milk!
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I do my oatmeal in the microwave, I add peanut butter mixes in well after heated. I also put blackberries on top.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    tagging.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I make home made granola
  • chocoholic106
    Options
    apples, raisins, stevia, low cal/sugar free syrup, fresh fruit or I buy Oatfit 100 calories and has stuff in it.
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch every weekend that includes 4 servings of oats, unsweetened almond milk, water, lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger (don't measure, just shake until there's a layer of each on top) along with 2 diced Granny Smith apples (cored but skin left on), a sweet potato (par cooked, peeled and diced) and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
    That sounds Amazing! Normally I just sprinkle on a little brown sugar, some apples or blueberries with pecans or walnuts. For a sweet treat I use peaches. But I'm going to have to give that one a try!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Every 3-4 weeks, I make a big batch of my own homemade oatmeal "packets" that I can take with me to work for breakfast all week. I'm not willing to wake up earlier to cook oatmeal on the stove, so this works best for me. I LOVE those Quaker flavored oatmeal packets, so my goal was to make a healthier (read: less sugar) alternative. Here's the recipe:

10 cups quick oats
    1-2 cups brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
    1 cup sugar free french vanilla creamer (powder, not liquid)

Instructions: Put 7 cups of quick oats in a bowl. Blend the remaining 3 cups until they're powdery, and add that to the bowl (this is to achieve the texture of the oatmeal in the packets. Add brown sugar and creamer and stir until mixed well. Separate into 1/2 cup servings using individual plastic baggies. Yields about 24 servings.

When I'm ready to eat, I empty one of the packets into a bowl, add 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and enjoy. The packets when the recipe is made with 2 cups of brown sugar is 208 calories. With the milk and cinnamon, it's about 229 calories. You can add any toppings you want - fruit, nuts, etc.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    You can make protein pancakes with them, you can mix up the ingredients that you add, different fruits both fresh and dried, I put any of the following spices and sometimes all of them; cinnamon, paprika, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin. If I’m not using fruit I use honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup to sweeting it and I have also put nutella and peanut butter in it.
    Just get as wild as you want with it, if you like the flavor of something just try it.
  • gosustu
    gosustu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal + Peanut Butter. Breakfast of the Gods!
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    Having not read the thread yet, have a recipe for an oatmeal smoothie:

Recipe makes one serving.

In blender, start with one cup of boiling water.
    add 1/4 cup oats

Let this sit for five minutes or so...

Then add 1/2 cup milk
    1 and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar (brown or white, basically sugar to taste)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Then blend until oats are fine and smoothie is creamy.

This is great in a togo cup. You can also add fresh fruit. Banana, blueberries or peaches would be nice.

Becky
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    These all sound great!
  • descobosa
    descobosa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I take 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, add about 3/4 cups water throw in microwave for 2 minutes. then i add 4 or 5 walnuts, ( broken up into small pieces, and a handful of raisins...delicious..i sometime drizzle a little honey on top... simple, quick, & delicious
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    My two favourite oatmeal mix ins are: 1 tbsp of peanut butter or two tbsp of PB2 or half a tablespoon of shredded coconut, half a tablespoon of coconut oil and a dash of vanilla essence. I add sweetener of choice to both and use no milk.