Asparagus

Options

Replies

• bmkxox
    bmkxox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everything tastes better when you throw em on a girl :devil:

Edit: asparagus soup is delightful, and a good way to make use of the woody ends!

ha ha ha ha!!!
  • bmkxox
    bmkxox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    when the season starts and i can get local picked that morning stuff i will just eat it raw it's too good to do anything to it. otherwise the Oil grill thing, or lightly steamed with a flavoured butter

i've never had it raw! I've always cooked it. Interesting!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Steamed (to tender crisp) with a little salt. Perfect.

This is always how I eat mine, with other steamed green veg too.

Alternatively you can very gently steam/blanch them before sautéing - I then put them with sautéed chestnut mushrooms and a pesto-greek yoghurt sauce on tagliatelle (if I can afford it, this stuff: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/326537_Biona_Organic_Spelt_Spinach_Tagliatelle_250g.html). Damn good.
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just made some last night. Put in a 13x9 baking dish, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb, then sprinkle with parmesan. Bake in oven at 350 for about 20 mins.
    Super Yummy!

I'm going to have to try some of these others too!
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Grilled or oven roasted brushed with a mixture of olive oil, soya sauce, balsamic vinegar, and italian spices. Best ever.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Steam or grill it and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. YUM
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Right out of the ground is probably the best tasting account of asparagus. Blanched and then drizzled with evoo and lemon a little sea salt and fresh pepper works for me too.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I grill it, roast it, steam it, I adore asparagus, definitely making that quinoa salad posted above.

Quick question though, does anyone else notice that your pee smells funny after eating asparagus? Is it just me?
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Snap off ends of asparagus, chop up lots of fresh garlic, pour olive oil over it, and then salt and make sure they're mixed up well before I bake them until they're crispy on the ends...omg...it's like eating the best french fry EVER!

If you don't like crispy you can cook them less. They're great that way too!
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Quick question though, does anyone else notice that your pee smells funny after eating asparagus? Is it just me?

Yup. Mine does every time. I recently started feeding it to my 10 month old...her too!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My quick and lazy method is to drizzle on a little vinegrette dressing and pop it into the microwave to cook until tender crisp. I've tossed it into soups, stir frys, on the grill, and all sorts of ways. In bite sized pieces, it even makes a great pizza topping.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bump! I tried asparagus recently and was surprised to find I liked it, but I've never cooked it myself. Some awesome ideas here!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just made some last night. Put in a 13x9 baking dish, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb, then sprinkle with parmesan. Bake in oven at 350 for about 20 mins.
    Super Yummy!

I'm going to have to try some of these others too!

That's pretty close to how I do mine: sauteed with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, Mrs. Dash (whichever one we have), and then top it off with parmesan or asiago.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cut the tips off and shave the stalk thin, toss with lemon and olive oil great raw like that in a salad or mixed with crab.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Lay flat on cookie sheet - spray with butter - lightly season with garlic powder & salt..broil till tender..then slap on a piece of either Sargento 40 Calorie Swiss or a slice of Fat free american - broil a second or two longer to melt cheese YUM!!! My kids love this too!!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Its very calorie and fat laden but the best thing I make with it is asparagus cream pasta. Its literally the best thing ever! As soon as asparagus season starts we'll be having it!

Heres the recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3928/asparagus-cream-pasta

The only thing I change is to add more parmesan to the sauce and to crush the garlic into the sauce too as I love garlic!

Damn it. Now I really want some!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just steam it.

Sometimes I get nutty and grill it.

Occasionally I get crazy and pan sear it with olive oil and garlic.

Once in a blue moon I add fresh parmesan cheese to it.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    Everything tastes better when you throw em on a girl :devil:

Edit: asparagus soup is delightful, and a good way to make use of the woody ends!

LOL
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My absolute fave way is a quick sautee in a little olive oil with lemon pepper, and it's pretty much the only way I eat them. But I recently made this Crustless Asparagus Quiche with regular feta, and it was sooo good.

http://skinnyms.com/crustless-asparagus-quiche/

Crustless Asparagus Quiche

Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice | Calories: 53 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Previous Points: 1 | Points Plus: 1 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 56 mg | Sodium: 108 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 6 g
    Ingredients

•2 cups sliced asparagus
    •6 egg whites
    •2 whole eggs
    •1/3 cup diced onion
    •1/2 cup (low-fat) feta cheese, optional parmesan cheese
    •1/2 cup diced tomatoes
    •1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    •Kosher or sea salt to taste
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and pour into a quiche pan or 9-inch glass pie plate.

Bake at 350° for approximately 45 minutes or until filling is set.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Love it, look at my diary. 1x-2x a day or more. Steamed, salted.