Grocery Shopping trouble. Help Please.

Options
Ok so every month i go shopping at the beginning of the month. I need some help. I always get junk food :frown: . Could someone give me some good ideas for a subsitute and some good snack ideas that are low calorie and filling please :smile: . I'm always hungry so i need something to kinda stop it cuz sometimes water doesnt even help. Here are some of the junk food i get:
Cookies, soda, salami, chips (like cheetoos), crackers, pasta, oreo cakesters, bagels and cream cheese, sandwhiches (salami, ham, cheese).
Oh also i have trouble excersicing or atleast keeping to it everyday anyone have any fun ideas i can do for excersie? I have a 7 month old son so its hard cuz he is clingy.
If you could help I would really appriceat it. Thank you so much :happy:

Replies

23435 Posts: 3
    Options
    First don't go shopping on an empty stomach. You can try the one hundred calories Pringles, yogart covered apples pieces and pineapple pieces, nuts of all kinds (wtch out how many you eat) and try Crystal Light for the drink or Diet Rite (it is sweetened with Splendia):smile: most of the chips now come in 100calorie packs along with alot of the snack foods just eat one pack a day and not the whole box.
  • katerinab
    Options
    Mini Babybel light cheese (I LOVE these things), string cheese sticks (I usually get the ones made from 2% milk), 100 cal packs of almond or other nuts (the cocoa ones are great), mini carrots, turkey pepperoni slices, beef jerky sticks (REAL beef jerky, not Slim Jims), pretzels, grapes, celery sticks with peanut butter.

Just some of the things I can think of.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Get this instead:

quick oats, whole wheat flour, apple sauce, baking soda, semi sweet chocolate chips, craisins, raisins, carrots, bananas, nuts, butter, enriched baking flour (nutri blend by Robin Hood for example), and baking powder. Also throw in some light cheeses, hummus, apples and all natural peanut butter.

Make your own crackers, make your own muffins, make your own cookies, YOU can control the fat/sugar/sodium levels for your family.

Carrot cake muffins (Jane Brody's recipe is FAB)
    Mini Banana Breads (http://jaabeemom.blogspot.com/2008/02/paint-and-bananas.html)
    Whole wheat crackers or breads (lots of bloggers have recipes but I can get you links if you have trouble finding them).

Think outside of the box. GL
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For me sugar and carbs are issues because of Diabetes...Lately I have been LOVING the Sugar Free Jello cups...If you are looking for something sweet...Salty lately I have been getting pistachios salted in the shell, and making sure that I HAVE to shell them...it makes me eat them slower and they are a good source of filling protein.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't snack in the first place. Plan out 4 - 6 meals for the day, a day ahead of time. If you much snack, stick to lettuce or broccoli.
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ok so every month i go shopping at the beginning of the month. I need some help. I always get junk food :frown: . Could someone give me some good ideas for a subsitute and some good snack ideas that are low calorie and filling please :smile: . I'm always hungry so i need something to kinda stop it cuz sometimes water doesnt even help. Here are some of the junk food i get:
    Cookies, soda, salami, chips (like cheetoos), crackers, pasta, oreo cakesters, bagels and cream cheese, sandwhiches (salami, ham, cheese).
    Oh also i have trouble excersicing or atleast keeping to it everyday anyone have any fun ideas i can do for excersie? I have a 7 month old son so its hard cuz he is clingy.
    If you could help I would really appriceat it. Thank you so much :happy:

Instead of Soda get flavored carbonated water, i get light fudge pops that are 35 calories instead of other sweets, you can try lettuce wraps with turkey instead of sandwiches...I get pita chips instead of chips or crackers...hope this helps!
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    Can't help with the grocery shopping, other than to say stop buying junk food. as for the exercise. put your son in a stroller/buggy, and go for walk with him. you might even find other moms in the area with kids close to your sons age, that do the same thing. which can help with the motivation, give you someone to talk to. and might help your son get un-clingy.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I say just don't buy them. I'm a sugar addict and I know it's hard not to give in to the temptation. I still have issues (hence the Ben&Jerry's sitting at the back of my freezer - hidden from my eyes). I try to stick to fruit when I want sweet.

As far as exercise, start with 10 minutes and work your way up to 30 - 40. Jumping jacks, squats, anything to get your heart rate up. And you don't have to do it everyday. I have to force myself to pop in a DVD or jump on the treadmill but when I'm done I feel so much better. Jillian Michaels has some great DVD's (30Day Shred is only 20 minutes of exercise and you don't have to do it everyday). Her DVD's run about $9-$10

I like the stroller idea.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    60 calorie pack dried plums(actually prunes), California cuties(clementines), small red apples and a little sharp white cheddar, almonds, Activia light yogurt
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Some of my staples for snacking (I only snack if I absolutely am hungry): fruit, yogurt, Fiber One bars, tuna (in water).
    Others that posted above me have great ideas too. For exercise, put him in a stroller and walk if nothing else. I used to exercise either b4 my son got up in the a.m. or after he went to sleep in the evening. That was awhile ago :smile: Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do ok with the healthy som times but not always. for your chips substitue crunchy things (carrots, celery, cucumber etc or try triscuits with sliced reduced fat cheese)
    get healthy tortillas and reduced fat cheese for quesodillas when in a rush. pre plan your meals.
    if you want pasta go for a whole grain. turkey sasuage is great.
    read the nutrition facts and portion before you plate.
    could your less healthy things be ok if you watched the portion size or ate half a portion?
    I shop at food for less and the prices are hard to beat but low fat/low cal are non existant so i try to find the best i can or eat less of it.
    I bought grasshopper mint cookies this last trip. I just make sure i only eat one instead of the recomended 3-4. it is cheaper then then 100 calorie packs. on stressful days i pre pack my servings in a bag so that i don't just blindly reach into the cookie jar (again and again and again...)
    anyways that's how i work my balance between budget, still needing tasty things in the house for the hubby and his friends and attempting to stay on tract. it's not perfect but it works.
    OH and make a list before you go so you stay focused vs wandering the store and seeing all the yummy stuff you could have
  • meg811
    meg811 Posts: 49
    Options
    I looooove to have a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast... every day... and you can still have it! Buy Bagel Thins (I know Thomas' makes them and I'm sure other companies do too), and then weight watchers has cream cheese that tastes just like regular cream cheese, but a lot less calories. I tried doing the fat free Philadelphia cream cheese, but it was just plain awful. Yes, WW's is a few more calories than the Philadelphia CC, but the taste doesn't even compare and it's just worth the few extra calories. A bagel thin and the cream cheese is less than 200 calories, and I think it's just as filling as a full size bagel. You can also get mini bagels if you can't find bagel thins, but the best "deal" for your calories is bagel thins.

You can also buy thins for sandwiches (or low cal bread) , which cuts out a lot of calories.And buy the fat free cheese singles. I can make a ham and cheese sandwich with light mayo for around 250 calories.

I like to eat popcorn as a snack. I buy the Orville Redenbacher 100 calorie mini bags. It's the perfect amount, and pretty filling for a snack. I also like the Laughing Cow cheese wedges. They have tons of flavors, and each wedge is just 35 calories. So I use 8 reduced fat Wheat Thins and have a 100 calorie snack. Carrots, and apple with caramel... all good snacks.

If you're going to buy cookies and whatever else you listed, just try to buy them in 100 calorie packs or smaller versions anyway. My husband and my's problem is portion control, so if you buy the 100 calorie packs, there isn't the chance of sitting there eating the entire bag of whatever. Don't deprive yourself of the "junk"... just eat it in moderation instead.
  • joleanrook
    Options
    If you like SALTY foods:
    Try the 100 calorie popcorn, even without adding butter or salt you will feel like you had something salty.
    Pringles makes some 100 calorie packs too, but idk about the nutritional value.
    Switch to Mortons lite salt, reduced sodium and added potassium.
    Buy some crumbled goat cheese only 80 cals 1/4 cup and adds rich salty cheesiness to all kinds of dishes.
    Soup... Olive Garden's Minestrone soup is low cal, packed with veggies, and it's salty without being too high in sodium.
    Basalmic vinegar, almost no calories, use it to thin out your favorite dressing, it packs a punch and will reduce water retention.

If you like SAVORY foods:
    Frigo cheese heads lite string cheese is a must, so are lite laughing cow cheese wedges.
    Buy some dry beans and cook them up, put in fridge and snack on when needed, also add to salads. Great protein and fiber.
    Find some low cal dip (ranch or make your own) and stock up on veggies to dip.
    Baked sweet potato, lower in cal and high fiber. Add a tiny bit of mortons lite salt, garlic powder, paprika and cheese for a meal!
    - or cut the potato french fry style, spritz pan with Pam, lightly salt and bake for awesome fries.
    Buy some fiber one original cereal, it can be put in the blender and used to "bread" stuff like onions (google "Lord of the onion rings) or chicken. It's very versatile and yummy.
    Ragu makes a lite spaghetti sauce that's only 50 cals per serving!

If you have a SWEET tooth:
    I like to take Gogurt and freeze it, makes a great ice-creamy treat later.
    Vitalicious brand vitatops and brownies are awesome and only 100 cals. I've only been able to find them online & at Target.
    Fresh fruit, of course, is great - you can top it with lite cool whip, it's surprisingly low cal! (they have sugar free too.)
    Bakers coconut flakes, if you like coconut this stuff is great. 2 Tbsp sweeten up some greek yogurt and add fiber too. Try it in cereal or baked goods.

Never shop on an empty stomach, make a list and don't deviate from it, and plan out small meals instead of just snacks.
    HOPE THAT HELPS! :)
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i don't go grocery shopping, unless i'm full and i'have just eaten. if i go and i'm hungry, i tend to just get too excited about things i shouldn't! :laugh:

if you don't take it home, you won't eat it. plain and simple. it might take some time, but you need to experiment with other snacks and make them into meals. like it was noted 4-6 meals a day. that is about what i eat. it's like between a meal and snack, but NO grazing. this way i stay full all day long.

some snacks i enjoy are:
    granola and yogurt, string cheese, laughing cow cheese, with veggies, almonds, multi-grain waffle with peanut butter, apples and peanut butter, low cal popcorn, fruit salad, luna bar, hummus, lowfat cottage cheese

make a list of things you enjoy that are healthy. start there and add things to them. like if you like apples....put some laughing cow with it. or if you like cottage cheese ad some pineapple.

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • susandm
    susandm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you increase the protein and the fiber in your diet, it will help you to feel full longer. I like to take some vanilla proetin (you can get a big tub of it at Walmart for like $16) and mix it with a small strawberry or blueberry greek yogurt, then dip an apple in it. Apples are also a great source of energy, and with your little one, we all know how emportant that energy is! As far as fun exercising, I go to Zumba classes 3 nights a week. Zumba is so much fun! I have lost 131 lbs so far and have done every exercise known to man (including several Biggest Loser DVDs, Richard Simmons DVD, and a couple of the P90X DVD). Zumba is the most fun I have ever had exercising. Even with it being so much fun, it really takes determination to keep going. I always feel great AFTER it is overwith, but I continuously have to talk myself into going. It is NOT necessary to work out and lose weight, but it helps. If you cannot work out, just really watch your calorie intake. Play with your foods. Decide on the kinds of foods you like, and look at their calories. See if there is a similar food that you can substitute for the ones that have too high of calories. Anyway, it's a start. Hope this helps!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Vitatops!!! they are sooo tasty if you have a sweet tooth like I do
  • crissi66
    Options
    Hey there. i had serious diet issues as well when i first started. i dont know if your just shopping for yourself or a family but for me, i only use a basket and try and go once a week to the grocery store. if your doing a bulk shopping then a cart is definetly necessary.

I love:
    laughing cow cheese and reduced fat wheat thins- that might help you cut the cheetos and chips out of the shopping mix.
    jolly time 100 calorie popcorn
    100 calorie oreo cakesters
    crystal light/anykind of reduced calorie adder for water.
    hillshire farms cold cuts-98% fat free ham and turkey 6 slices for 70 calories makes a nice sandwhich
    thomas bagel thins- with a schmear of low fat cream cheese still way under 200 calories
    jello cups with fruit
    jello chocolate indulgence mousse. so damn good!!!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You can buy the 100 calorie packs of a lot of those things, and as long as you only stick to one package when you want a snack, that will be great for you (one ounce of Cheetos has 10g of fat- ouch!). And you'll still be getting to each what you love, whether it is chips or cookies or popcorn or whatever! Snackwell's devil's food cookies are good (though expensive) and might be a good substitution for the Oreo's! Laughing Cow cheese- for a snack with reduced fat Wheat Thins or on a sandwich instead of cheese and/or mayo. Instead of salami, maybe switch to ham. Turkey would be even better but ham is way better than salami (I love salami, but I rarely eat it anymore because it is so bad for you).
  • CatherinaD
    Options
    what are those?
  • CatherinaD
    Options
    what are those?
    Vitatops?