How can I force myself to like cardio?

Options

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Who said you had to like cardio? I don't always like to do things but the benefits are great, usually. You get to like it or miss it when you don't do eventually but until then I count down how much longer I have until I can go do other things.
    Sidenote: Shopping counts as cardio right? Just kidding :)
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing and run stairs in burst up, much slower down
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just walking/hiking outside? If you live in an area where that isn't really safe, perhaps an audio book or TV program while on the treadmill? I know that might not be ideal but I would think walking would be easier to control in regards to asthma. I don't have asthma, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A good inhaler and finding the right cardio. I can't run even with my inhaler because my asthma is so bad. But I can do the elliptical and I can do wii Just Dance.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Heavy bag? Hill sprints? I find doing these interval style much more fun than traditional cardio.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If its not enjoyable, then stop. Only cardio I do is more reps and heavier weight. Maybe some occasional seasonal hikes and walks.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you if you don't like it, don't do it.

My personal experience was that I hated any form of exercise. So I popped on my favorite movie (any of the fast and furious movies) and got on the treadmill and just ran. About a month of watching movies and tv shows like FRIENDS, I love it now. That hour or so on the treadmill is my ME time. Sometimes I just walk even.. I also have an elliptical and a bike, but I get to watch something and get some cardio in at the same time. It's perfect for me. And now I love my cardio time. :)
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    I do HIIT because it makes the time go by faster. Steady state cardio makes me a sad panda.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The best way to enjoy cardio is to do it outside! Running for very long on a treadmill can be excruciating. I actually do intervals when I'm on the treadmill just to break up the monotony. But I could run outside all day without getting bored.

So much this. Treadmills are pure torture. Running outside is a breeze by comparison.

Some thoughts -

Audiobook
    Zombies, Run!
    Good cardio music mix.
    Trails and/or hills for built in intervals.
    Just intervals.
    Train FOR something, like a race or tri.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting (which I LOVE) and only doing cardio about once or twice a week (which I absolutely HATE!) Asthma is what makes it hard for me :/ Any tips for making it enjoyable?

The best advice when it comes to cardio is to do something recreational that you love and do that for your cardio. Like playing soccer, rollerblading, walking, bike riding, basketball, anything that gets you moving and your not thinking that your doing cardio is probably the best cardio
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Great tunes and great scenery. Maybe get a supportive buddy to join you and encourage each other. Dancing and hiking are great. Signing up for a fun 5k gets me pumped.

That being said, dont force yourself to try to like something you hate. It sounds like torture. :tongue:
  • melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Swim is good. When I was forcing myself onto the treadmill (there's some in my apartment building, as opposed to going to the gym) I would put some videos on my tablet and watch them while working out. Anything to distract me from the monotony of staring at a brick wall!! I always prefer to get cardio from riding my bike, swimming or hiking if possible. Treadmill is a last resort on rainy days when I don't feel like driving to the gym.

Added bonus of swimming for cardio, you're already wet so you might as well get in the hot tub for a few minutes at the end :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can force yourself to like it. You might find some things you can tolerate better than others. I prefer to walk or dance, instead of run.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Do something you like doing!

Softball
    Soccer
    Hiking
    Snow Shoeing
    Swimming
    Climbing trees

Basically anything you find fun and don't think of as cardio.

Yep, yep, this.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would say if you can get some scenery and good tunes, running outside is the way to go, or a good group exercise class.

From someone who has severe ankle issues, I am limited to doing cardio on an elliptical trainer or a bike (and I hate biking, it's just not for me) so cardio sucks for me right now, so I just crank some good music and do intervals on the elliptical a couple times a week to get it done. It's not fun, but at least if I have good music I can tolerate it. Hope that helps.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Do you use Advair for your asthma? That has really helped me. If you start doing more cardio and less lifting for 2 weeks, you will see how much better your clothes fit. That is the true test .

Basil
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Why are you forcing yourself to do cardio if you hate it?

Are you trying to get a higher burn so you can eat more food?

I looked at your diary a bit. At a calorie goal of 1270, are you at least eating your BMR? Height? weight? What is your weekly weight loss goal? If you have less than 20 pounds to lose, I'd say a half pound a week would be a more appropriate goal.

Just my two cents.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hate it too but force myself on the treadmill 5 days of the week. Only b/c I feel like I get a good workout while I'm on it and I have kids and a big kid (husband) at home so I don't have a lot of options after working 8am-5pm. I have found that the only way I can remotely deal with it before boring myself to death is by watching Netflix on my phone....! I only watch that one particular show (Scandal...obsessed with it) when I run...its an amazing show so it helps pass the time. Just keep your eye on the prize, you'll get it done. Good luck!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Find some cardio you do like and go do it! There has to be at least one thing you enjoy doing that is cardio in nature. Biking? Hiking? Walking? Running? Playing with children at the park? Swimming? I discovered I absolutely LOVE cardio tennis. I can't wait to go tonight!
  • Imonajourney
    Imonajourney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try something different. The arc machine is my new favorite. So many different workouts to target specific areas and the results are amazing.