Buying clothes in your goal size.

Options

Replies

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have bought the next size smaller when there was a massive sale on, but I tried on the current size for fit and then selected only one size smaller since I knew that I should be needing them soon. I just limited myself to pants since I need dress pants for work and I did not already have anything in that size range in the back of my closet. Tops and dresses will fit for a lot longer.

I think your shape can change a lot as you lose weight so the goal size may fit eventually but that doesnt mean it will be flattering. I would wait to buy much smaller clothes until you can try them on for fit.
  • JeanMachine41
    Options
    From my experience it depends on what parts of your body will change if you lose weight. Some items will just never look good on some people and its important to know the difference. I now only buy things that are too small or not flattering if I know I can return them. Some stores have a year return policy - like Nordstrom, Athletica, zappos, for example. This way you are not out the money. I know this from having wasted a ton of money on clothes and shoes never worn.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am planning on buying this 2 piece swimsuit I saw online today. I am determined to get into it by 30th birthday in November. I am going to Puerto Rico for a month.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    I have! I have a pair of size 13 pants that are cut to be a 10. That and all the size 12 pants I cant fit right now that are in my closet. It is perfectly normal and motivating to have goal clothes. Remember that a scale doesnt always tell the whole story but a pair of pants will give you the lowdown in a minute.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a little black dress that I spent a whole paycheck on because I'm so determined to fit into it lol. It's a size 6 and I'm currently a size 16. I've never been a size 6, the smallest I've been was a size 10, but I wanted that extra motivation.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    When they're on sale for $1 at the Goodwill.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a little black dress that I spent a whole paycheck on because I'm so determined to fit into it lol. It's a size 6 and I'm currently a size 16. I've never been a size 6, the smallest I've been was a size 10, but I wanted that extra motivation.

That was a great investment of your whole paycheck.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have 2 shirts and a skort that are one size below what I wear. I'm using it as motivation and a reward for loosing weight. I am a sale shopper too so everything I get is on sale or from a discount store.

Even though I just started I have seen a change in my shirts and pants with the little amount I lost. I might be trying on those pieces sooner then I thought.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yup. And just like that commercial for the yogurt, I hung it up where I would see it every day. Reminded me when I didn't feel like going to the gym or felt like eating mac and cheese that there was a reason I was doing all this. To feel better, to fit into a size I wanted to be in. To find me again.

Me too, although I didn't buy it--my mom kept my prom dress (from over 20 years ago!) I just hung it in my closet. I can currently get it on, but no where near zipping. I started at a size 18, currently at a 12--pretty sure the dress is a small 10, so I am getting closer!
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've recently started my weight loss journey (7 days in, really recent lol!) and I was wondering if anyone uses clothes in smaller sizes to help motivate them to loose weight?

I do! I find something I just LOVE and buy it a couple of sizes smaller so I can work my way down into it :smile:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

That was a great investment of your whole paycheck.

Lol I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not. I don't do things like that often.... I didn't hurt me to do it once, and it'll motivate me. To each their own I guess :)
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nope but to be honest i'm not much of a clothes person :) i have some smaller jeans from a few years ago that when I can fit into them (or hopefully smaller!) i'll see that as a victory.

also i'm cheap, lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of a cool idea...BUT there are so many unforeseen circumstances that can get in the way of enjoying those "goal" clothes! And I'm not talking about screwing up and failing at weight loss...that is not an option.

But me for example...I started at a 22 and lost tons of weight before I could change sizes, skipped over size 20 and into an 18. Then I only fit into 16 for a couple of months before I needed my current size of 14. When I first started all of this, I would have guessed that my end goal would be around 180 lb and a size 16-18...at this rate I'll be 12-14 at 180 lb, and have no intention of stopping there. I will go to at least 170 if not lower, and have no clue if I will be a size 10, 12, or what.

Just another thought on the matter!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It would stress me out too much.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I haven't...only because I have an entire closet full of size 6 jeans/dresses/etc waiting for me to lose this weight already!!

Same boat as her. I have a beautiful wardrobe that I no longer fit into. I know which of my 12s are cut bigger and which are smaller. If I fit into my smaller 12s, it's a good day. I'm determined to get back into my 10s. :)
  • sebkiwinaspensmama
    sebkiwinaspensmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I have a bit of a hoarding tendency and still have all of my clothes from when I was thin about 6 years ago. People have told me to get rid of them but I just couldn't do it. The good thing is when I get to my goal weight, I will practically have a brand new wardrobe waiting for me!

I am in the same situation. Just went through old clothes from before I had my kids. Decided I would keep them and work hard to get back into them!
  • curvyin2014
    Options
    I have one pair of size 11 ripped up arizona jeans I lived in while in high school. If i get in those I will be happy
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When they're on sale for $1 at the Goodwill.

haha yes. I love this and for me it is totally true.

Although this backfired as well. Last summer when I was wearing an 18, I bought a size 14 dress that was my "goal dress", it fit me like a sausage casing and looked terrible in the belly/hips but great in the other areas. Now it fits, but hangs like a sack around my shoulders and looks awful. I'm so glad it only cost $1.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have bought too small is a bikini I have never worn a real one and I bought in a size 10. I'm also using it for before during and after photos and slowly but surely its looking better.
  • pikaboooo
    pikaboooo Posts: 54
    Options
    :(
    i totally agree with u
    My goal for now is to first get into the 1 digits sizes instead of double digits.
    Im always so jealous when i shop wiht my friend who wears a double zero... or just a 0,
    one day im going to fit into the XS category instead of XL

x.x