From 1-10, how important are your measuring spoons & cups ?

Options

Replies

• EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    measuring spoons and cups = 4
    scale = 10
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever use measuring spoons and cups since getting my scale unless its to put my food in to weight it. I use a measuring cup for my almond milk and that's it, everything else gets put on the scale.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids!

Mine measures both. I think most do.

The only time my measuring cups and spoons make it out of the drawer is when I'm baking.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding-I think i need to start using my scale more!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    10!

I don't use a food scale and I've been losing ~.75-1 lb per week.

I use my measuring cups and spoons for everything.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Food scale - 10. Measuring spoons and cups - 8.

This.
  • ANGIE181062
    ANGIE181062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use digital scales and convert to grams online if needs be x
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options

The only time my measuring cups and spoons make it out of the drawer is when I'm baking.

Mine said to only weigh water because it wasn't calibrated for other liquids.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love MFP and all the weight loss "gadgets" like my fitbit my Polar HRM, Aria Scale, etc. As I was contemplating which one of my gadgets was the most important in my weight loss journey, I would have to say my old-fashioned, low-tech measuring spoons, cups, and scales have been the most helpful. For me, portion size is the key to watching my weight while being able to enjoy a variety of foods. I'm just curious about what other MFP'ers think.

I use them a lot. I would give them a seven. I am just really bad at keeping up with a low calorie diet.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My electronic scale died a few weeks ago and I was lost without it. I do use measuring cups for quick stuff like milk going into a smoothie or a recipe, but the scale doesn't lie. I still use my tablespoon and teaspoon though to measure out salad dressing or dips. Just easier to do that way.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I only trust my kitchen scale. Cups/spoons are for baking and that's it for me.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The scale is pretty important but measuring things like "cottage cheese" on the scale don't work very well :p

That said even with two full sets i still end up having to wash the 1/2 cup by hand; I need to get 5 or 6 of the 1/2 and 1/4 cup sizes and can ditch the rest.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The scale is pretty important but measuring things like "cottage cheese" on the scale don't work very well :p

What?! :huh: You put the bowl on the scale - hit the tare button, then add your cottage cheese. How does that not work well?

I'm also going scale over cups. Except for my almond milk every morning in my coffee - need a cup for that.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They were very important in the beginning, but I use them less now.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Why do you trust them for baking if you have *any* distrust otherwise? If you can't measure with them correctly, then maybe use your scale for baking too?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Why do you trust them for baking if you have *any* distrust otherwise? If you can't measure with them correctly, then maybe use your scale for baking too?

Actually once I weighed 1/4 cup of flour twice. Once it was 27g, the second time 48g or something... Needless to say, I weigh it now...
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1-10? 5,000,000. Ooops, the scale didn't go high enough. Speaking of scales... a nice digital one is priceless.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

An ounce is an ounce whether it's water or milk or baby food.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Never had any cups - they're not used nearly as much in the UK anyway
    Spoons - 8/10 - measuring out spices and herbs to make the healthy stuff tasty and making sure I know how much oil I add to a pan. No more Jamie Oliver 'lugs' of olive oil!
    Agree with everyone that gave scales a 10
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

An ounce is an ounce whether it's water or milk or baby food.

Sure, but most nutrition information for liquids is calculated per mL. For water, 1 mL=1g, but that is NOT true for other liquids; their density varies. Cream is less dense than water, for example, so 1mL does not equal 1g (in fact, density of cream actual varies with temperature as well; using a liquid measuring cup is actually more accurate).