Drinking a lot + eating almost no salt

Options
amblight
amblight Posts: 350 Member
I was worried if the combination of very little salt + drinking loads could have a negative effect, mess up the salt balance or something? Or does it take more than that?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It can. It all depends on amounts. How low-sodium are you going and how much increased liquids are you thinking?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a normal diet, odds are good that you're getting the salt you need from the foods you are eating. There is a danger if you drink way too much water, that you could suffer from water toxicity, You really have to drink an excessive amount of water to do that, though.
  • amblight
    Options
    I'm averageing sodium a good bit below 1000mg, and I drink 4-5L and more a day. Drinking a lot is new, I used to have to force myself to get up to 1L/day. I've never eaten much salt, but I'm probably lower now, since there are a couple of salty foods that I almost don't eat anymore.
  • Othelie24601
    Options
    I was worried if the combination of very little salt + drinking loads could have a negative effect, mess up the salt balance or something? Or does it take more than that?

Depends on your definition of 'very little'.

But yes, drinking to much could have a negative effect on fluid balance and cardiovascular function.
  • Othelie24601
    Options
    I'm averageing sodium a good bit below 1000mg, and I drink 4-5L and more a day. Drinking a lot is new, I used to have to force myself to get up to 1L/day. I've never eaten much salt, but I'm probably lower now, since there are a couple of salty foods that I almost don't eat anymore.

Why are you drinking so much water? You really don't need it. 1.5-2 liter of liquid a day is enough, and that includes the liquid you get from the food you eat.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Not if you eat your greens. Sodium is found in a lot of green leafy vegetables. Kale has almost 1mg/calorie, celery has about 7mg/calorie
  • amblight
    Options

Why are you drinking so much water? You really don't need it. 1.5-2 liter of liquid a day is enough, and that includes the liquid you get from the food you eat.

Because I like it :) So unless there are some real negatives that I need to consider, I would very much like to continue drinking this amount
  • persaud87
    Options
    your muscles will cramp during workouts without adequate levels of sodium. sodium is like calories. you don't want to be over, but you also don't want to be under. so yes, it is not advisable to restrict sodium to extreme levels. if you are not experiencing odd symptoms then you probably have enough. i keep my sodium around 1000-1500 mg a day. if i go any lower than 1000 my triceps, abs, forearms and rear delts cramp at spontaneous moments during workouts.
  • Othelie24601
    Options

Because I like it :) So unless there are some real negatives that I need to consider, I would very much like to continue drinking this amount

Then it's good. As long as you don't feel like you have to. Most likely you are getting enough sodium in the food you eat. If you are really worried then either add a sprinkle of salt on one of your meals, you really don't need that much.