NO TIME to excercise HELP!

Options
Hello,

I work and go to school fulltime. I wake at 6am leave my house at 7am commute for 2 hours to work, and go straight to school after until 10pm. I usually don’t reach home until 11pm. I set my alarm EVERY morning for the gym, but with the late nights it seems impossible to get up before 6am. I’m usually studying on my lunch breaks and any other free time I may have. I can barely seem to find enough time in the day to sleep let alone workout.

I need help! I’ve been eating better and watching my calorie intake, but I am the biggest I've ever been in my life.

What can I do to jump start my weight loss without the gym every day?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to workout to lose weight.

Focus on caloric intake.

Find your TDEE. How old are you? What is your height? Weight?

What are your goals? How much weight do you want to lose?
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You could try to incorporate some extra walking throughout the day... Do you drive to work? To school? If you do, park as far away as possible and walk a bit more. I am sure others will chime in with what works for them but there are plenty of ways of adding some exercise to the things you do everyday without the gym.. Good luck!

**definitely THIS ^^ above (fatfreefrolic's post)... caloric deficit is key!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do you drive for your commute? Do you ride a train, bus? I'd suggest getting in some arm lifts, leg lifts, squats, etc.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good news! Diet is for weight-loss, exercise is for fitness. Exercise can also give you more wiggle room with your diet, but your diet is the primary factor in determining if you lose.

You need to be weighing and measuring everything you eat, logging it and being consistent with creating a deficit. If you consistently create a deficit, you will lose weight. Exercise helps your cardiac fitness, your overall body function and can give you more calories to eat, but it's not actually that effective for losing weight by itself.

Now, that said, if you can work a little bit more into your various areas (even just taking a 5 minute walk a couple of times a day), that may help a bit. But diet is where it's at.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before I stepped one foot into the gym. Work out at home. Search the Internet for exercises you can do at home. I usually only have time for half-hour workouts. Even 10, 15 or 20 minutes helps. But, be sure you also spend time planning your meals. That's the best way to stay inside your calorie goals. Good luck!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    "commute for 2 hours to work"

Seriously? The only reason to do this is if you make a TON in which case you should just move close to your job since you make so much. If you don't make a ton then why not find a job that pays the same or even slightly less close to home. When you're 70 you'd probably kill to have those 4 hours a day back.
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "commute for 2 hours to work"

Seriously? The only reason to do this is if you make a TON in which case you should just move close to your job since you make so much. If you don't make a ton then why not find a job that pays the same or even slightly less close to home. When you're 70 you'd probably kill to have those 4 hours a day back.

yeah that's a bit of a brutal commute to say the least
  • thesaraaah
    thesaraaah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just continue eating within your daily limits and you should still lose weight. I've lost 24lbs since late December by just watching how much I eat and I will have a cheat meal on my days off (or else I'd go crazy). I'm positive I would have lost a lot more weight if I ate within my calories on those days. Maybe at home videos will suit you better and save you the trip of going out? Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I work and go to school fulltime. I wake at 6am leave my house at 7am commute for 2 hours to work, and go straight to school after until 10pm. I usually don’t reach home until 11pm. I set my alarm EVERY morning for the gym, but with the late nights it seems impossible to get up before 6am. I’m usually studying on my lunch breaks and any other free time I may have. I can barely seem to find enough time in the day to sleep let alone workout.

I need help! I’ve been eating better and watching my calorie intake, but I am the biggest I've ever been in my life.

Eating in a deficit and stop making excuses would be a good start
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate something into your day. Go for a walk at lunch. run stairs on your break - park farther away.

there are studies (Mayo Clinic and I can't find the link at the moment) that show people who move more during the day can burn an extra 350 calories a day just by fidgeting. Now I am not saying that will get you a workout, but bouncing your leg, walking to the farthest bathroom or breakroom, etc. can help you increase your calorie burn throughout a normal day and if you are trying to lose weight, anything is better than nothing. Add in a little something extra and you can get even farther ahead.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your school has a gym, use it.. then go home and go to sleep.. or workout on the weekends.
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say what you did (in the title of your post) but sounds like you really don't... Just remember though, weight loss is 85% what you put in your mouth and 15% exercise. Don't get discouraged, if you are eating right, it WILL come off. Getting some exercise does make you feel awesome though, so it sounds like you need to be creative. Getting to the gym on only seven hours sleep would be daunting for anyone. Could you get up 10 minutes earlier? I have an app on my phone called the 'Seven minute workout"--no, it's not equivilant, but it's something. If you can't get the app there are lots of 10 minute workouts on Youtube. Maybe a short walk at lunch? You'd lose some study time but would feel so much better. Just my .02 :flowerforyou:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Also, is there any way you could move closer to work? 2 hr commute is a bit extreme.

I would suggest looking into online school to finish your degree. This will allow you to complete schoolwork on your own time which will ultimately allot more time for exercise.

For workouts you can do at home:

Slim in 6 DVDs
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

I would recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves programs for weight training but I don't think you'll have much time to follow a weight training program unfortunately as they are quite involved and require a decent amount of time.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Park far away. Take stairs unstead of elevators. Try Tabata. Only 4 minutes a day! http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything---Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to-Gain&id=348486
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to figure out how to squeeze in my workouts with working full time and attending school. If you absolutely can't cut an hour out of your day, try doing little spurts of exercise during study breaks or commercial breaks if you're watching tv. You can absolutely squeeze 20 or 30 minutes in there. walk up stairs instead of taking an elevator, watch your diet carefully, and just make an effort to move more.
  • raevyn07
    raevyn07 Posts: 8
    Options
    I try to incorporate some walking into my workday, especially on the days that I'm not going to my water exercise class. I spend about 10 minutes each morning & afternoon walking laps around the building, either inside or outside. I started out doing about 3 minutes (basically one lap around the inside of the building) every hour or 90 minutes, and worked my way up adding a minute or so each week until I'm comfortably doing about 3 laps in 10 minutes.
    On the days I don't go to water class, I go home (admittedly before dark, now that we're back on daylight savings) and do a strength & flexibility program I downloaded (for free) from the NHS (UK) website, called 5 weeks to strength and flexibility. I'm still in the first week, but it takes about 30 minutes. I am noticing a difference in how I feel, and I'm actually looking forward to starting the 2nd week next week.

The calorie deficit is also important, but equally important is the quality of those calories. An apple with peanut butter keeps me full from breakfast until lunchtime infinitely better than the donuts. Even before I started walking, I'd already made the switch to fresher, less processed foods. I cook up enough meat and brown rice or whole grain pasta to get me through the week on Saturday or Sunday, then have it for lunch, and sometimes dinner through the week.

It's possible, even with a busy schedule, but you have to make the choice to actively apply yourself to a change in lifestyle, and incorporating small changes that will lead to bigger changes later.
  • mb1127
    mb1127 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have the same lifestyle. I work 7-3:30 Then go straight to class 5-10 most nights and clinicals every other weekend. I am exhausted! It's extremely hard to balance everything out. I understand exactly how you feel. The key is packing healthy snacks throughout the day. It's easy to eat junk when you're constantly on the go and stressed. I know it's unrealistic for me to hit the gym. I have a few workout DVD's that only take about a half hour. I walk everywhere I can think of, even the grocery store and to work. I live in a city so it may be a little different for me. But take a stroll. It'll clear your head. If I can do it, you can too!
  • zoemcquaid
    zoemcquaid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Eating in a deficit and stop making excuses would be a good start

That's a bit rude isn't it?