Heavy lifting NSV-- goodbye scale, you sneaky liar!

Options

Replies

• hellzak
    hellzak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I see alot of you talk about heavy lifting! Can you please share what weights and exercises you are using/doing??
  • hellzak
    hellzak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nevermind....just saw the answer to my question a few comments up :)
  • countrylovinmn
    Options
    AWESOME! I love to lift but I am frustrated because I am not losing any pounds... but my body is changing... getting curves and muscle definition is now becoming the way to see change:)

I can actually out lift some guys in my gym. I kick *kitten* now :)

Keep it up girl!
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I love to lift but I am frustrated because I am not losing any pounds... but my body is changing... getting curves and muscle definition is now becoming the way to see change:)

I can actually out lift some guys in my gym. I kick *kitten* now :)

Keep it up girl!

Yahoo! Way to show those gents that girls can be fierce in the weight room too.

If you want, I can throw your scale in the basement with mine. ;) If you can see that your body is changing, you know you're doing something right.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress thank you ve recently started lifting and get frustrated with the scale, I also need to get rid of mine for awhile.
  • wendyk673
    wendyk673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great story. Could you, or others, point me to resources to begin lifting? I've taken Body Pump classes, and I like it, but I wouldn't say that was heavy. What , exactly, does heavy mean? Do machines count?

I've been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program, and I love it. It's only 5 exercises, so easy to remember. Also, I like Strong Lifts because it doesn't use machines. I have weights, plates, a bench and barbell at home, so I'm ready to go whenever I want. Of course your local gym also likely has these things. :)

From what I understand, machines tend to focus on just one muscle, while free weights target a few at once. For example, as I'm doing a squat I'm not just using my thighs, I'm using my butt, and I'm using my core to stabilize, keep good form, etc. Using a few muscle groups at once means your work out is more efficient.

As to what is heavy-- I think that's relative. :) To me, the 65lb bench press I did earlier today was certainly heavy. To my boyfriend, that's a walk in the park. I think of heavy lifting as weights that I can't lift for endless reps in a row, and ones where I am increasing the amount of weight each week.

Hope that helps annathelu!
    Thanks for this info! I just started on my path to fitness a couple of months ago, down 17 pounds but at least 55 to go! I do body pump twice a week, and just started with machines in the weight room. You look amazing by the way!
  • jodiegator
    Options
    Hi I'm a little late with this thread but really wanted to reply.

I've just started lifting 2 weeks a go, in my garage! I also, after just 2 weeks can see a change in my bottom! Your post has totally encouraged me. I'm 5 7" too and currently 142 lbs.. I've been toying with the idea of ditching the scale and you've helped make up my mind!

Well done you look amazing and thanks for sharing :)
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Hi I'm a little late with this thread but really wanted to reply.

I've just started lifting 2 weeks a go, in my garage! I also, after just 2 weeks can see a change in my bottom! Your post has totally encouraged me. I'm 5 7" too and currently 142 lbs.. I've been toying with the idea of ditching the scale and you've helped make up my mind!

Well done you look amazing and thanks for sharing :)

Wow, you and I could practically be body twins! Thanks for posting, I'm so thrilled to hear that this encouraged you. I'm 7 weeks in now, and I've got a whole new butt-- I'm starting to feel a bit vain, turning around to check it out every time I'm near a mirror. :P

Are you doing any particular program with your weight training?
  • Iron_Stephanie
    Iron_Stephanie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You look great! I also Lift heavy and my scale is not my friend. But who cares what it says, its all about muscle gains;)
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lol loved your write up. Way to go woman!!
  • samvuetibau
    samvuetibau Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed this today, the scales haven't moved for while and I was feeling very disheartened! Goodbye Scales!!!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I needed this today. I am depressed that after working out hard, the scale hasnt changed other than going up 2 lbs in the last two weeks. BUT, my clothes are tighter as well. So that really hacked me off this morning. I needed your success story so I could see I havent done this long enough to see change.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Haha! Written with truth and humor. Congratulations on your breakup. Fitness is sweet revenge. Take that scale ba$tard!
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You look awesome and much more fit!!! I was this exact way no too long ago as well! I am bulky in general and while I run, I enjoy strength training a lot. I've upped my calories to 1800-2300 and started using the measuring tape more than my scale, though I do enjoy seeing my numbers lower EVER so slowly while I'm eating more and strength training. I just wish my thighs would thin down, but that's always the last place to lose for me. Maybe some day I'll get my dream body like yours :)
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Awesome - both the text and the pics!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Love this post, fabulous pics!! Needed to see this today after the scale ruined my morning and I was considering about cutting back on the weights. Nope, not gonna happen! Gonna run, lift, eat, repeat!
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    I needed this today. I am depressed that after working out hard, the scale hasnt changed other than going up 2 lbs in the last two weeks. BUT, my clothes are tighter as well. So that really hacked me off this morning. I needed your success story so I could see I havent done this long enough to see change.

Hang in there-- I know it can be SUPER frustrating sometimes, but changes are happening. You know what? My thighs are a half-inch larger than when I started the weight lifting so yes, my pants are a bit tighter. However! I now have these gorgeous lines of muscle starting to poke through, and my thighs are getting this new and previously undreamt of shape. I'd rather buy bigger pants and look like a goddess naked than have skinnier pants and look average.

I'm a big fan of "right now, right away, now now now!" so slow results can be hard to wait for. That said, with weight lifting you do get that instant gratification of "I lifted more than last week!". Are you lifting weights?

Cheer up-- you may not be seeing the results you want, but I guarantee if you're working hard, SOMETHING good is bound to be happening, whether you can see it now or not.
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Love this post, fabulous pics!! Needed to see this today after the scale ruined my morning and I was considering about cutting back on the weights. Nope, not gonna happen! Gonna run, lift, eat, repeat!

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has had a perfectly good "I feel slimmer" morning ruined by a scale.

The only people who know my weight are me and my doctor, but the whole world will be able to see my sexy toned physique. Scale be damned. I'm going for the sexy physique! :P
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    You look awesome and much more fit!!! I was this exact way no too long ago as well! I am bulky in general and while I run, I enjoy strength training a lot. I've upped my calories to 1800-2300 and started using the measuring tape more than my scale, though I do enjoy seeing my numbers lower EVER so slowly while I'm eating more and strength training. I just wish my thighs would thin down, but that's always the last place to lose for me. Maybe some day I'll get my dream body like yours :)

Funny how everyone has that one spot, eh? For me, it's my waist. I'm quite certain that if I had a 26 inch waist, my life would be flawless. Ha! Not exactly that dramatic, but that's my stubborn spot.

Maybe one day we'll BOTH get our dream bodies, but until then, I think we're doing pretty darn well already. I checked out your profile and you sound a bit like me! I like taking on fitness challenges (30 day yoga challenge, 5ks, back country hiking) and used to train Muay Thai as well!
  • ColeAXE
    ColeAXE Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Inspiring :D . Well done
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!