Nursing

Anyone know how many calories over my recommended amount I should have since I am nursing?

Replies

• Anyone know how many calories over my recommended amount I should have since I am nursing?
  • mshunk
    mshunk Posts: 21 Member
    About 900 calories per day depending on the frequency - every 2 hours 900, as the baby feeds less often I usually cut back a bit, but you should always add in a minimum of 600 calories to the recommended caloric intake that any site advises for nursing.
  • thank you!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Check with your obgyn. Mine had me do 250 with my son and 500 with my daughter.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    The standard answer is 500 cal per baby. Do be mindful that as your baby starts weaning that calories used will decrease. There is @ 20 cal/ oz in term human milk plus some more used in making it. I don't count anything for my twins now since they are 4 LOL!
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Yes, the standard seems to be between 300-500 extra calories.
  • sue70
    sue70 Posts: 6
    This is good to know as I'm nursing as well. I was under the impression it's 300 extra calories. But I'm sure nursing more often requires more. I just finished a 2 hour cluster feed and I'm in need of a snack. :smile:
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Increasing intake by 300 cal/day is usually recommended during pregnancy.