Slimfast

Options
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had success with slim fast? I keep falling off the wagon and need to try something different. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Slimfast successfully made my poop smell like coffee. Otherwise, not really.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    NO!

Rigger
  • sewwy
    sewwy Posts: 21
    Options
    I did have some luck on a similar program, and ended up dropping 10kg over the course of 2, possibly 3 years. However, I was eating so little because of the caloric limitations on the program that I ended up gaining a substantial amount back.

I wouldn't recommend it, personally. i'm having to work much harder now to lose the weight and keep it off, and it has taken a long time for my body to get used to eating a 'normal' amount of food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wondered if anyone had success with slim fast? I keep falling off the wagon and need to try something different. Thanks in advance.

Yes - I lost some weight & No - I didn't keep it off

I'm betting Slim Fast does a lot of repeat business. That's the problem with "meal replacements," it teaches you nothing about maintaining the weight you lost.

Also, high in sugar and not terribly filling. If you want a shake get some good quality protein powder, spinach, fruit & milk/yogurt or whatever & make your own (healthy) shake.
  • 1horselover
    1horselover Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you, It looks like a no no then. I will have to try something else!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Nope. Slim fast is what I consider the trigger point for my current health state. I am now allergic to wheat, milk, eggs and a host of other foods, and its been several years of trying to get back to my good health days. Almost there 5.5 years later. I used it for about 5 weeks in 2008 because my life was in chaos, I had complete lack of appetite and I knew I needed calories so I added it to my diet. It was not a weightloss solution, it was to keep from losing more weight.

Its essentially a sugar program disguised as a meal replacement shake or bar. You are probably better off on Jenny Craig or another program that sells you your complete meals and snacks than Slim Fast. At least they will train your body on portion sizes even if they dont teach you anything about eating a healthy diet.
  • this **** is still around? That's so Ace of Base...
  • Thank you, It looks like a no no then. I will have to try something else!

Intake and burns, intake and burns, eat what you want, what you want, in portion control, get moving and you'll see results
  • 1horselover
    1horselover Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you, It looks like a no no then. I will have to try something else!

Intake and burns, intake and burns, eat what you want, what you want, in portion control, get moving and you'll see results

Hi, i managed over the last couple of years to lose about 3 1/2 stone but have now hit a wall. The last stone is so hard to shift:(
  • _tigerblood_
    _tigerblood_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    this **** is still around? That's so Ace of Base...
    says the person who takes Advocare
  • this **** is still around? That's so Ace of Base...
    says the person who takes Advocare

Used to take...past tense.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You won't find much support for 'meal replacement' here on the boards. I was using Slimfast, still using it some. I wasn't really following the Slimfast Diet 3-2-1 though. I used them as a replacement for breakfast and sometimes lunch. For me I sometimes don't have time to make me something...and I'll admit that sometimes I don't want to make me something. I just want to grab something and go.

Recently I switched to a lower carb diet (something else you won't find much support here on) and switched to Atkins shakes. They are no where near as good as Slimfast. Neither are their bars. I was very disappointed. I think I'll try the Quest bars next.

I think dieting is a lot like religion. Everyone has their own opinion, and everyone thinks their right. Which is why I don't talk about my lower carb diet/Slimfast usage much, but I wanted to say something positive about Slimfast among all the negatives. I think if you like them it can be a really good tool.

My main advice is not to give up! Nothing will work if you give up. And if I calculated correctly what a stone is, you only have 14 pounds to go. Weight loss slows down the closer you get to your goal. Good luck!
  • ashleymk2012
    Options
    I lost a fair amount on slimfast, I'm a 24 year old male, I was 22 when I started it. I had always been overweight and obese growing up and finally decided I needed to shift it. I went from 252lbs to 168lbs in 8 months, was it worth it? Yes and No, of course loosing that much weight has really given me so much more energy, and made me a lot more happier and confident. Being able to buy Medium sizes instead of XL in the shops does wonders for self esteem.

The only flavour I could bare of slimfast was vanilla, the rest tasted awful. The first few months were incredibly tough, as I cut right down, and my stomach still wasn't full, I felt like it was screaming at me at times to feed it more, lol. However as my stomach started to shrink it become better and I would always feel full after a slimfast shake.

However when I moved off of it, I did slowly start to regain weight, so I made sure I was eating healthily and exercising to ensure I was burning more calories than consuming. As we all know a diet like this is not sustainable and crash diets are very dangerous, I wouldn't overly recommend it to anyone, but if you need it like I did to be able to shift some weight fast then maybe it is worth a go. I'll say this now though to anyone who is considering a 'crash' type diet, don't do it. It plays havoc with your body and there are no end of health issues that could pop up.

I wanted results fast, and that is exactly what I got. However I am a lot more happier now with my current healthy eating plan, of 3 meals a day and at least 60 mins of exercise per week, whether that be at the gym or going for a run around my local field.

Yes - I lost some weight & No - I didn't keep it off

I'm betting Slim Fast does a lot of repeat business. That's the problem with "meal replacements," it teaches you nothing about maintaining the weight you lost.

Also, high in sugar and not terribly filling. If you want a shake get some good quality protein powder, spinach, fruit & milk/yogurt or whatever & make your own (healthy) shake.

this is 100% spot on. Slimfast no way teaches you about maintaining healthy weights after you lose weight, as I said its ok if you want to just lose a bit of weight quickly, like before a holiday of something, but you can't stay on slimfast forever...

Good idea for making your own shakes, at least you will have a better idea of EVERYTHING that goes in to it. That's what I do now on occasion, just make my own.