Fat Shaming

Options

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Once a person finds their way out of a situation, they often see that it should have been done a long time ago. They forget that it was hard at first, they just know that they did it and others could do it too. It reminds me of smokers. Once they quit, some tend to consider it all so disgusting and urge others to quit when they just did it themselves. (Yes, its disgusting, but you weren't putting the smokers down when you were smoking too, were you?) I quit smoking two years ago and vowed to never be that way. Instead, only when asked, I share my story. How I did it and all of the benefits I reap every single day. Maybe tell your sister about that. Instead of putting people down, she can be the one who convinces someone else that they can do it too. In the meantime, don't let your feelings be hurt. This may just be her way of reminding herself not to return to where she started.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    iwkoqt.gif?1321057725
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    She sounds delightful.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Once someone has lost their weight, they realize how much all the excuses are worth.

(Hint: the excuses are worth nothing.)

I have had this kind of conversation with my brother who can often times say something that can be taken pretty harshly. I have then come to a few opinions.

Some folks who hate on fat people, care less about the fact that they are fat (because they know that medical conditions exist) and more on the fact that this person has little to no self control.

Folks who have to go through all the effort and training of both mind and body, tend to have a hard time when confronted by those that seem to not care and let theirs turn to obesity and laziness.

My brother doesn't love me any less but there is a strong sense of longing on his part for me to get my life in control, and my insouciant attitude towards my health and nutrition frustrated him for some time.

Just some things to consider. No one likes to be degraded, in any way. However, I am short by most standards and don't get angry when people say I am short. I have dark hair and eyes; these are all physical traits. I am also fat, and don't get upset when that is part of the description as it too is a physical fact. Again, let your brain hijack the instinctual emotional response and give it a think first before you get upset.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I think the fact that you call your sister your pride and joy is so sweet and goes to show that the two of you have a strong bond. Maybe you can approach it just by saying, look, I am struggling with my weight as you once were as well, and I can use all the positivity you can give me. And part of that is laying off the fat comments, even though they're about other people, when I'm around.

You obviously love and support your sis and I think it's totally possible she hasn't considered how her comments might make you feel. Family is forever and you certainly don't want something like this coming in between yall! Good luck :)

Edited to add: I was just thinking, when my sister and I are together we say things we would NEVER be caught dead saying to other people. It's like a no holds barred zone, because we can completely let our guards down around each other. Which just goes to reiterate my point that she may just be speaking mindlessly and not realizing the impact it's having on you. I would even go so far as to say, look, you don't have to stop insulting people if they're jerks. Can we just call them ***holes instead of fat? Cause the problem is their personality, not their appearance, right?

Ok I'll stop now. Good luck again!
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said it really... I was a 'chubby teen' but through my twenties I lost a lot of weight (not through the health and fitness way but through a bad lifestyle - drinking, drugs, partying, etc). I too came to hate 'fat' people but I realised later in life that this was because I was so scared of being fat again that subconsciously I had to hate it to stop myself from becoming it. I had no respect for people who let themselves get really big - I thought of them as lazy and ignorant and figured they had no respect for themselves so how could they expect me to respect them. This included members of my own family. Fast forward a few years and after quitting smoking and drugs, I put on about 40 lbs, which pushed me well in to the overweight bracket (probably bordering on obese). Now my outlook is different - I realised that we all have our struggles and demons and for some people, food is like cigarettes and drugs were to me. Addictive, comforting, social... Some people never beat those demons and some do. It's that simple.

To the O.P., try to speak to your sister and explain how you feel. You have nothing to lose and may even help her change her view.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about actual cruelty, I think that's just called being a ****ty person. Hold individuals accountable for their behavior, and stop turning everything into a societal problem by putting some psycho-babble label.on it.

If we're talking about merely stating an unpopular opinion that makes people uncomfortable, well, that's life. Suck it up.
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "Yeah but as YOU well know it's not always easy. And just like YOU did everyone has to find their own path towards being healthy if thats what THEY want."

From a person in long-term recovery, this is the same as an alcoholic /addict. Losing weight takes extreme will power. You have to "hit your bottom" in order to make it to the top.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think formerly fat people are the hardest on themselves. Sometimes it's so easy to look in the mirror and still see an obese person. I HATED myself when I was fat. I refused to put on a bathing suit, refused to have photos taken of me, declined requests such as bridesmaid, etc.

I had every excuse in the book why I was fat. No time for exercise, ****ty metabolism, thyroid disease, PCOS, you name it. But they were excuses.

And sometimes I'll say things negative about fat, but it's really a self-reflection, and not an insult to anyone else, at least I don't mean it that way. I still have huge self-esteem issues about my appearance. I still see myself as a fat person. And I hate it. I am, and always have been, my own worst critic (except maybe my ex husband, but that's a different topic).

My point is that it's likely any comments your sister is making are far more about herself, than they are about you, or any other overweight person. It's very hard to let go of that mentality.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and admit that I went through a brief period of this, even made negative comments about old pictures of myself and it took my husband calling me out on it to snap out of it. I just flat out didn't realize how much I was projecting my frustration at my former self on to folks who are in the same place I once was. I stil get frustrated about some loved ones who get stuck in the yo-yo/fad dieting trap but I just have to remind myself that I was there once too and approach them with compassion, patience and empathy.

As far as your sister goes, I'd call her out on it. Be nice and tactful of course, but let her know that just a short time ago she was in the same exact place and wouldn't want to hear those same comments coming from someone else. And let her know it's hurtful to you too as you're still technically obese. It might not stop her but she might at least refrain from saying those things around you.
  • LisaFlag
    LisaFlag Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find people the most obsessed over weight are the ones who fat shame the most. People who were big and was fat shamed felt less-than to other people and felt like they were socially below others. Now that they are thin, they feel socially above fat people because that is what was dug into them when fat. It doesn't help that scientific findings show fatter people get less jobs, less recalls after interviews, less promotions, less romantic interest and etc. This reinforces the idea that thin people are better than fat people, so she is just jumping on the band wagon.

Plus a lot of self-loathing. If someone was 200 pounds and loves it, they wouldn't change what they are. So I find the most critical people are fat people who lose weight, they knew they had to change from bad to good. They associate bad with fat and good with thin so they feel entitled to call out the bad, fat people.

Yes, this is fat shaming. You live and let live. Fat is not your thing, that is good. But others may like being chubby, its just her being vocally judg-y on one type of person...which is fat people. Maybe just sit herself down and say everyone is going through their path in life at their own speed. Your sister lost her weight at her time, the others are trying in life. Let them live their lives without her prejudice. They might be good people who volunteer at shelters, or are giving people who are fat. They can also be complete *kitten* too, but they are more than their size. Stop projecting her own self-hate onto others.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Some people are just not nice people. Talk to her and decide if she can be the person who can decide to be nice and learn from her own experiences. My MIL was quite obese, lost a lot of weight, and started being one of those people who said horrible, derogatory things about overweight people. The worst thing about it is that she's put about half of her weight back on and still says the same horrible things about other overweight people. She has a mean side to her. We've talked to her about it, and I think she just likes to make herself feel better by saying mean things about other people.
    Give your sister the option of being a better person than she's choosing to be right now. She's been the obese person before and should remember how it felt to be shamed.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I just hate people in general.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You're exactly right, and having lost about 60lb recently, I can totally feel where she's coming from.

I see a total fat person and hate the way I used to look like that.

I hate that I can't believe how gross and sloppy I looked.

I hate the way I thought I was so curvy and empowered but it was making me sick (like your sister.)

I hate that society told me it was OK to be completely unhealthy because "curvy" (which is code-word for fat) is good.

I hate hearing people say being fat won't make you sick when I know first hand through personal experience, by seeing friends, and by working in the medical field that being fat does, in fact, make most people ill in one form or another. Maybe not immediately, maybe not with clear and visible to the public symptoms, but it does.

I hate seeing other people suffer with a false sense of empowerment.

I reflect how I felt about my very fat self in the past every time I see someone that looks, sounds, and acts like I used too.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think ex smokers feel the same way about current smokers.

All kinds of former addicts (even former food addicts) feel the same way toward people who now carry their former addiction.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

All kinds of former addicts (even former food addicts) feel the same way toward people who now carry their former addiction.

No. This could not be further from the truth. I do not feel sorry for them. I do not hate them or look down on them. If anything, I feel compassion for them, or even slight indifference.

I am a former smoker, and my qualifier is a recovering alcoholic.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No. This could not be further from the truth.

As an ex-smoker who knows how very hard it is to quit, I am pretty sympathetic toward those who are still addicted.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have been hesitant to remind her that just a few months ago, she needed one of those extra large chairs. I will never be so cruel as to bring that up, but a little empathy from her would be nice!

That's not called cruel, that's called a reality check IMO. And even if she wasn't fat before, name calling and hating people for their size of all things, is uncalled for.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    In the scenario you describe, I'm the little sister who lost weight but I was never obese. My older sister is morbidly obese. While I am alarmed when I see large folks. I don't understand having a hateful attitude toward them, or anyone else for that matter. If I were to make snide remarks about "fat people" around my sister, it would so hurt her feelings. I would hold my tongue no matter what.

Your sister needs to get a size 8 planted on her backside when she starts ranting lilke that. It's simply not OK. Can she find overweight people distasteful, sure. But she needs to learn to shut her mouth if she can find any compassion or encouragement. It's like all our moms should've taught us: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

No. This could not be further from the truth.

As an ex-smoker who knows how very hard it is to quit, I am pretty sympathetic toward those who are still addicted.

Quitting smoking was one of the easiest things I have ever done so I do shame smokers and I know I shouldn't but there it is. I guess I just feel that if it was so easy for me, everyone else must just be lazy or using excuses. I know that's not true but that's how I feel when I see someone smoking.