What made you stop binge eating FOR GOOD?

Options

Replies

• faeriecake
    faeriecake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Identifying triggers and finding good coping mechanisms. I would binge eat whenever I was anxious or unhappy. I would also eat anything that was pre-prepared, such as chips, or microwave meals. Now I only keep around foods that I have to put an effort in to prepare, and also keep myself distracted if I am anxious. I have really bad anxiety, and also suffer from depression, so I have to keep myself motivated enough to find out WHY I am feeling that way and what I can do about it. If I am beating myself up and wallowing in self pity, I want to eat my feelings away, but now I try to clean or write or paint. It's definitely helped to keep myself accountable.
  • greslimvela
    Options
    I think you should look into If It Fits Your Macros. I'm not advising you to do it, I'm just saying look into it, because it's a pretty flexible way of eating every day and you don't really count calories, but instead you count macronutrients so it gives you the leniency to fit in treats pretty often throughout your meals as long as you hit your macros and don't go overboard on them. I think that's a good way to stop binging because you can pretty much teach your body and psychologically re-learn your relationship with food, and that you don't have to deprive of certain meals, just make them fit into your meal plan for the day. It's definitely helped me, because when I crave something I can make it fit into my meal plan, and I always have the idea in my head that this WON'T BE THE LAST TIME I EAT IT so I don't have to binge on it!! When I used to binge that was always what I had in mind, 'this is the last time I swear!!' Eventually it becomes a cycle that's pretty hard to break. With IIFYM I definitely let myself have treats such as Ferrero Rocher chocolates, pastas, pizza, and even pancakes, and not the wheat kind but the regular ones with regular syrup. I think this is about what works for you, trial and error, really, and that being said I repeat it's not advice, just what worked for me and if you think you could work with it you should try it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    OP posted this in July of 2012.
  • popcornplaya64
    Options
    If I keep unhealthy food in my place I eat it. I avoid buying anything unhealthy in bulk.
  • lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to read this. My husband doesn't understand.
  • bassaniobroke
    bassaniobroke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking plenty of water, specially when under binge spell, this will leave no space inside for food, water has killed my hunger as well.
  • cara_mellow
    Options
    So unfortunately after losing around 15kgs (not even purposely) I have now become obsessed with calories and my intake. I used to work in the middle of the day and would only get one meal a day. Now, in an attempt to eat healthy, I have 3 meals a day bit its the constant snacking I cant stop and it's only when i'm at home. I hate being there and I think that's why I eat. I'll have 'just 5' almonds, and then it turns into 2 finger scrapes of ice cream, a handful of dried fruit, a handful of cereal, 2 pieces of chocolate, a spoon of peanut butter and a spoon of Nutella.
    I need help.
    I'm 45 kgs and terrified of gaining weight because its too hard to lose, even though I know I'm unhealthy and don't have the funds to workout hours on end everyday :(
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    FORTY FIVE KILOS?

Sod finger-scraping ice cream, get a ladle in there.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    Ugh. I'm typing this from my bed and I feel like dying. I ate over 5000 calories yesterday and it's like I can't even look in the mirror without being disgusted.

To give a little background on me: I'm not overweight and never have been, but I've developed a ridiculously unhealthy relationship with food. I will eat MASSIVE amounts of food - and generally do, a few times a month - but I always feel like crap afterward. I always tell myself that I'm going to stop binging and that I will eat normally and healthfully but a few days or maybe a week down the road I'll always come back to those cookies and cakes. Of course, I eat below my calorie limit for several days in a row in attempt to "make up" for these binges, but that's just textbook yo-yoing. I feel so dumb, and I feel like I'll never learn.

I'm sick of this. I'm sick of my obsession with food. I'm sick of counting calories every single day as I've done for the past 5 months - literally, I've not missed ONE day. I want to go back to the old me who knew when to stop eating, who exercised and enjoyed it and didn't use it as punishment. But it seems like no matter what I do, I can't break free from my mind. When I get in that binge zone, I am in the zone, and I go at it, hard.

To all former bingers, what did it in for you? Was it therapy? Was it something someone said? Was it the feeling after a particular binge? I'm so desperate to stop binging for good...I appreciate the support. Thank you.

I'm looking at your pics, how can you eat 5000 calories lol.....you must be doing something right because you look beautiful.
    and even if you did, you must be doing pretty good on the rest of the days.....if you go nuts on calories every once in a while it won't hurt ya. all I can say is drink more water,eat more protein/protein shake and if you get the growls just go get some exercise to get your mind off of food. have a good day.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OP: I don't know whether there's a "for good". Maybe it's something like "recovering alcoholic". All I can say is that I haven't had more than 1-2 not-too-bad binges since I've started logging on MFP (about 3-4 months). Something about seeing the numbers works for me. I go over my calories sometimes, but normally not out of control. And now that I'm seeing results it's easier to keep working the numbers.
    That doesn't mean I don't struggle sometimes, but it's a revelation to me that I *can* choose and am strong enough to do it. For a long time I felt pretty desperate because I felt like I couldn't resist.

Good luck!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Trouble is, everyone binges for different reasons, so the best way to stop it is to find out why.

I’ve binged for years and I still suffer with it, but I’m trying not to worry about a cure and I’m trying to learn my triggers for now.

Allowing myself to get too hungry, or feeling down makes me binge. Even not having the food in the house doesn’t help; I’ll quite happily take the time to drive to the supermarket, spend £15 on cakes and sweets and crisps, come home and eat the lot, then hide the wrappers because I’m ashamed.

Try and establish why you do it, keep a diary as such, write down your feelings before and after the binge, as well as what you’ve eaten. See a doctor, it could help
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Like others, therapy, because binges were part of a larger problem for me. Learning intuitive eating helped me a great deal too.

I think there's more to it than choice, it's not a case of overeating tasty food you like. I would consume boxes of doughnuts, multipacks of crisps or whatever was in the cupboard at the time, including tins of beans, dried fruit or rice pudding and things, until I felt really unwell. It's not like Christmas full, it's not like feeling queasy. Why would you make yourself feel that way if it was a simple case of choice?

And not keeping the food in the house didn't work because I'd just walk to the shop and buy it. We have 3 corner shops within 5 mins walking distance and I'd visit all 3 so it didn't look like I was buying so much at the till.

It rarely happens anymore, but if I am feeling low whilst being stressed or angry, it starts to creep back in. Though being out of the habit these days, the horrible physical sensation comes on much earlier than in the past.
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and over eating have nothing to do with will power or control. It has to do with Choice.

I have spoken at length about binge eating and over eating in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656765-bingers

Give it a quick read :-)

I have to say I disagree with that. Choice isn't everything. Binge eating can come from a place that you don't even know about. Choice, control and willpower are not the same thing. They're all psychological and as such are all complicated but it's not as simple as just choosing not to do something when you don't know why you're choosing to do it.

I agree that Choice isnt the issue here, and it is glib to say it is. Like telling a smoker, "Oh you should just quit!"
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It's not black or white. I agree that TELLING someone to "just quit" is usually not the answer. But discovering (and most importantly feeling) that you have a choice YOURSELF is something different. Believe me, I've experienced this myself. And I don't have the magic button to press to get that realization/feeling. If I did, I would have lost weight years ago (and I'd be rich).
    Therapy can be involved. Also have experience with that.
    What I want to say is, you *can* take control, but it can definitely be very hard to get to the point where you do.
  • _pinkskies
    _pinkskies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm glad you're seeking help. Even if it's on a forum it's a big step to recovery.
    I've had an eating disorder since 2 years ago. I was anorexic. I would eat almost nothing, the bare, bare minimum to survive. But that didn't bother me, it was like I lost interest in food completely. But that didn't last very long. About a year later I started having these cravings for food I have been avoiding. They were so bad I would feel sick for the whole day unless I let myself eat it. The problem was the moment I had the first bite, a binge episode would start. I would clear all the junk food in the house. I guess you could say I saved myself through my binging... I was able to gain 30 pounds and got back to a healthy weight. Yeah I was severely underweight. Okay enough about me ^^
    The way I stopped binging was by eating carbs and fat. Healthy carbs and fat. Fat deprivation actually causes depression and stress and in turn leads to seeking food as a relief. So don't avoid those two food groups completely like I did in the past.
    Never eat in front of the TV. You won't realize what you're doing until it's too late. Eat slow, with water in between. You'll feel satisfied sooner.
    Eat with others and share your food. You'll be less likely to binge in group settings.
    Differentiate between hunger and cravings. Cravings involve wanting sweets and junk food. If you open the fridge and your eyes land on cookies or cake instead of eggs and steak then you're experiencing a craving. Allow yourself to have a piece but don't take the whole box with you. Eat slowly and actually enjoy the food then finish up with some water or tea. You'll realize your craving has been satisfied and you're not actually hungry for more.

Wow I write a lot... But I hope it helps!
  • britasticx
    Options
    You literally wrote exactly what I am experiencing.
  • AidaLott
    AidaLott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I feel a binge coming on I need the "POWER" to resist it. POWER is an acronym for 5 different tools I personally use to divert my attention away from compulsive eating.

P- is for Prayer I ask my Higher Power to help take away the temptation to eat right now.

O- is for Outreach I call a friend, a sponsoror, a family member, etc. to have a chat.

W- is for Willpower No it's NOT a myth. Sometimes, I simply need to say no to foods that are counterintuitive to my recovery from food addiction.

E- is for Exercise I can go the gym or go out for a walk or drive to the mall and walk there.

R- is for Rest Sometimes, I'll just take a short nap or if I get a craving late at night, I'll just go to bed and forget about it.
  • davidleewilson
    davidleewilson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    God does this sound familiar. I do it on a nightly basis but mine is chips, bananas and milk. My seems to go hand in hand with insomnia. I will be following your thread. Thanks for posting.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Think about WHY you binge eat. Do you do it because you're hungry? Because you're sad? Lonely? Bored. Figuring out what triggers that binge is more important than finding motivation not to binge. If it's because you're hungry, then take a look at your food diaries to find out what you're lacking. If it's because you're bored, go take a walk instead. Sad, lonely, or depressed: my best advice would be to find a professional to help or enlist some close friends to talk with.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this since I was twelve years old. Im 23... I just started to get control of this in February so it has not been long at all. Therapy did not work well for me but im sure its helpful for many! Thinking of how much my stomach hurt after a binge helpedme. Also watching videos and looking up certain foods or restaurants. Learning how truly awful fast food is for you sometimes helps me stay away from it. Feel free to send me a message sometime :)