THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• kacilea2000
    kacilea2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with your myth about motivation but you say it is lack of discipline, what do you do when you go with out losing weight when you step on the scales even though you have been diciplined
  • 19amandac
    19amandac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you im so glad this was recomended for me to read thats basically what i do when i clean lol but i dont clean when i feel like it but i make the decision because who really wants to clean? am i right lol but for sure i must "JUST DO"
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Great stuff
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I agree with your myth about motivation but you say it is lack of discipline, what do you do when you go with out losing weight when you step on the scales even though you have been diciplined

work harder
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have actually put my experience in basic training and the airborne to start losing weight.. even though it was over 20 years ago...

I put the goal before me... and go for it... I run and march to cadances and imagine myself going back into time working out to build my body to a lean mean fighting machine... while it may seem crazy... it has helped me..

I'm up to 530 push-ups a day...^^ and 150 sit-ups a set... and walk (swinging my arms) for 2 hours a day... and actually running (airborne shuffle) for 1/2 a mile...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I have actually put my experience in basic training and the airborne to start losing weight.. even though it was over 20 years ago...

I put the goal before me... and go for it... I run and march to cadances and imagine myself going back into time working out to build my body to a lean mean fighting machine... while it may seem crazy... it has helped me..

I'm up to 530 push-ups a day...^^ and 150 sit-ups a set... and walk (swinging my arms) for 2 hours a day... and actually running (airborne shuffle) for 1/2 a mile...

photo-12.jpg
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This post is exactly what I needed, thanks!:happy:
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks; this post is perfect.
  • ally_land
    ally_land Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    "The bigger mystery is why we choose to ignore the need for proper diet and exercise in the face of obvious requirement."

Hmmm....some good points in the original post. I didn't read all of the 300+ responses but it seems the overall consensus is agreement with the 'try harder, do better' philosophy. I know this approach has failed me many times in the past. From reading many posts on the MFP message boards, it seems like that philosophy is not working for a lot of other people either.

It is no longer a mystery to me why we choose to ignore the need for proper diet and exercise in the face of obvious requirement. Human nature is to avoid pain and seek pleasure. It is basic evolutionary survival. When we restrict food and become hungry.....we create pain. (It doesn't feel good....does it?) When we exercise out of obligation or drudgery because we hate our body and the way we look....we create emotional pain. (Again, it doesn't feel good.) It then becomes our natural response to seek pleasure. Food becomes pleasure. Not forcing ourselves to exercise out of self-loathing relieves pain and feels much better. (For a time, anyway.) So binge eating and foregoing exercise is actually our body's natural response to these painful situations.

I can agree that decision has an important role in changing our health. But I would suggest that intention is the key. When the decision to eat foods that move us toward health and wellness comes from a positive intention of wanting to take care of the body and life we have been given.....and exercise comes from the same positive intention of wanting to feel healthy and energetic....it will be an easier and much more joyous process. If the decision comes from a "just do it" attitude....it will be harder, many times a struggle, and more often than not - unsustainable.

I don't mean any disrespect to the original poster. I only offer my opinion here to hopefully help others who are struggling with determination, will-power and motivation to see that there is a reason why they feel they keep failing and that there is another approach. It starts with a positive, loving attitude towards ourselves.

*Just a little side note - I used to eat and exercise from a place of self-loathing....wishing I had a better body. To the point of becoming a super lean, super strong bodybuilder training for competition. It wasn't very joyous and even after I achieved my perfect body....I was still not happy with it. So it is possible to be an extremely fit person but not achieve what it is that we're all truly after......self-worth, self-love, value and self-acceptance.
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I needed.
  • Trostlegirl
    Trostlegirl Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, love that this came up today. Love love love and should read daily until it sinks in if needed! Will keep repeating the sentence below!

"We do not need motivation. We need decision. "
  • Roxytudor
    Roxytudor Posts: 16
    Options
    This is so true! motivation is far too unreliable
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing.
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In relation to weight loss, I read somewhere that motivation gets you started, but habit keeps you going. I do recognize that it is hard because you have to make a constant effort to make the good choices like eating good food, exercising well....all that jazz. I also agree with the first post....it starts with the decision...and the rest will follow.

J:drinker:
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    *Bump* Don't want to lose this off my page
  • IzzyRoseDixon
    IzzyRoseDixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I have a feeling I will need to read this again at some point
  • stephxfit
    stephxfit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love this. Thank you!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to read to my mom later. She used to be an athlete, but has let her fitness go in her 60s. She complains about wanting to lose weight, but is nothing but excuses as to why she can't. She was also a military wife for 26 years, so I think the way this is presented will resonate with her.

If you're still checking on this thread after all this time, thank you Capt. Apollo.