Exercising harder, or more often?

Options
I do about 30-60 minutes of exercising every day. My question is, since I'm just starting out and I'm not doing anything crazy hard like insanity, can I workout everyday, or does my body really need rest days? I burn around 200 cals each day, and I do mostly bodyweight exercising.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I would still take one full rest day at this point. I mean go for a walk or do something light if you like, but it's important to give your body a chance to recover.
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks. I've been told to go longer and harder each workout, and rest every other day. The thing is, I'm a beginner and going harder than what I'm doing already isn't really a choice right now.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I would definitely strive for improvement every workout, but that improvement is going to be conducive to your current abilities. If you feel fine exercising 6 days/week and your nutrition is in line, then you're fine. Ultimately your success will be mostly due to your diet, the activity is icing on the cake and required for overall health :smile:
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks a bunch! :flowerforyou:
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with exercising everyday, even as a beginner. An argument can be made that daily training for beginners is a better way to go. It's all about how you train. As long as you're keeping the intensity level down and you aren't trying to kill yourself with a workout, you should be good. I'm nearing 60 and workout daily. Isometric strength training every day, which supplements my sessions where I alternate between bodyweight isotonic exercise and jogging.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You will soon find out after a month or so your work load per workout is gonna increase a lot. Once you get into the workout groove month after month you will be able to push yourself harder and you will need the rest more. For now just keep it light but slowly continue to do more and more. The main thing is to always try to do a little more each week until you are kicking your own butt 90% of the time you are doing your thing. If you are there, might as well right? For rest I would never just sit down all day and lounge. Go to a park and walk or do some chores around the house that you been meaning to do (my wifes favorite part of this new change for me).

As always eat right and get your sleep.