Biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeves?

Options

Replies

• kanstulpants
    kanstulpants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pet peeves...

Co-workers pushing products that claim to "reset your metabolism" and "balance your horomones" etc. (Only $250.00 a month!)

People who are still stuck on eating low fat and fat free everything.

The assumption that anyone who is overweight is automatically unhealthy and destined to die of a heart attack at age 40, and the only reason a fat person could possibly live longer is because of modern medicine keeping them alive with 5000 medications a day. I've been varying degrees of overweight my whole life, and yet, I don't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes/pre-diabetes, etc. I even have a picture of my great-great-great-great-great grandmother, born in 1823, died in 1922. She was fat. Yet somehow managed to live to be 99 years old. I think genetics plays a bigger role than a lot of people like to admit.
  • kennapaxton
    Options
    When people ask me "How'd you do it?" (I've lost around 70lbs before joining MFP). It's like they expect something like "I ate three coffee beans before every meal!" No. I eat right and exercised. There's no magic pill.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When people ask me "How'd you do it?" (I've lost around 70lbs before joining MFP). It's like they expect something like "I ate three coffee beans before every meal!" No. I eat right and exercised. There's no magic pill.

Ohhh this! I'm starting to get that question now and I'm wondering what people think they're going to hear lol. It's not a secret.

Also, people thinking just because I'm fat, I don't know anything about nutrition or exercising.

As well as people who tell me it's my own fault I'm diabetic. No, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 2 years old. Oh and on that note, people who tell me I won't need insulin anymore when I lose the weight...ha I wish!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a new one..."A calorie is not just a calorie"...the quality of the food matters more than how much you eat...

REally so I can eat 3000 calories of "good" food and not gain...yah...
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1. People asking questions like, "how did you lose weight?" "how do you stay slim?" etc. I feel like they don't want the real answer.

2. People saying..."You're only 'skinny' because..." I've heard "you're only skinny b/c you don't work" (I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 kids) "You are only 'skinny' because you don't eat" (I eat about 1800 cals a day...and sometimes more).

3. The MOST annoying thing: a former friend (who is in her 30s) kept talking about joining the Navy. When I finally asked her why she wanted to do this...she said, "Well, I need to lose weight, and I figured that would be a good way." Ummmm....no words...just no words.

Oh AND loose vs lose.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Dang! You guys brought my attention to the term "journey" and now I'm noticing how often it's used here. Now I'M annoyed by it. Add that onto the list. :)

Just saw this..2nd word in a thread burst out laughing....all I could think of was this ....:drinker: and I got annoyed...haha
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hate when people try to compare a pound of muscle to a pound of fat. Hate to break it to you but a pound is a pound is a pound. Quit saying a pound of muscle weighs more than fat. A pound of feathers weighs as much as a pound of fat!!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hate that food has calories in it.
    /Thread

:flowerforyou: Sooo true
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    People who claim they could lose weight if they tried, they just [insert x lame excuse].

If you really wanted to, you'd get off your bottom and do something about it. So please, stop complaining about your weight.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thigh gap = the one when you're between my legs *ha* (Sorry couldn't resist)

pet peeve:

thinking that when you arrive to boot camp and haven't worked out in a while, that you will do better then me (I am a bigger girl) = me inwardly laughing when you try to keep up! I will kick your *kitten* especially with prowlers! ; ) However, the roles do get reversed sometimes... life's a *****.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    oy, i was just thinking i wanted to complain but didn't want to start a thread about it so thank you!!!

Two things,

(1) people who want to lose weight for vacations and lose it fast, and

(2) people who put off getting married or start doing crash dieting for their weddings

I've known people in both situations and in both, they gained it all back + more within a year. People should be concerned about their health not how good they look in a bikini, especially when they're doing really stupid things like 800 calorie diets + laxatives to get there. #EndRant.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Smaller servings or healthier options costing the dame or more when they cost less for the company.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I hate when people hate on low carb but they don't know that SOME people have to do it for medical reasons.....

Also hate when people claim they are doing low carb as a quick fix (you'll never get anywhere doing that) or say I ate way under my carbs today I only had a cupcake or some other random not low carb foods ... Those people aren't doing it for medical reasons OR correctly and they need to be doing IIFYM instead so they can eat cupcakes.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I get a flat on the bike 30miles out in the middle of nowhere....:grumble:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    -Paleo
    -Low carb
    -Cleanses
    -Dr. Oz

Edited to add:

-Clean eating

Dr Oz has come up twice now. I sort of knew of him but had never seen his show so I checked it out yesterday and again today. Quite frankly, he had a few good things to say. I'm not really sure what the controversy with him is but like all of those types of shows, I would take it with a grain of salt and do further research without following blindly. The little exercise routine he had could be useful for something a bit different. He is doing a special on the problem with caramel colouring with representatives from Consumer's Report so that could be interesting. I don't see him as the monster folks here seem to.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People who tell others that they're not losing weight because they are eating too many carbs (just because they eat bread, basically).
    When someone tells someone who's eating 1200 calories or less that they are building muscle. Argh.
  • linzspence
    linzspence Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get really annoyed when my friends get annoyed at me for not eating before I track all my food. I've told them before they don't have to wait for me to start eating before they do. Believe me, I'll catch up to them.
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. Nuff said.