Alcohol

Options
Can you actually get fat off Vodka?

Replies

• addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yep. There's a good amount of sugar that goes into making alcohol plus whatever you mix it with. There's a lot of diabetic alcoholics because of it.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    A lt bottle of vodka has 1,000 cals in it. A single measure has approx. 45 cals in it. Add in a non diet mixer & voila! Also zero nutritional empty cals.. But it is luverly! :drinker:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You can get fat from anything. You'll never take me booze!

There's no magic property in anything you ingest to cause true fat gain except if it makes you eat above your maintenance.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Alchol has twice as many calories than protein and carbs. So yes, you can get fat from vodka. I certainly did. Well, I was already fat, but when I started to drink heavily, I gained until I was morbidly obese. Then I cut back to a more normal amount, and dropped 22lbs within a few months, just like that, no other effort required.
  • sebkiwinaspensmama
    sebkiwinaspensmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Vodka, yes. But warning, beer will make you gain as well if you're not easy on it. I switched from vodka to beer for sanity's sake and found that out the hard way. Hello stomach pooch! Lol.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    All alcohol has calories.

A regular, 330ml/12oz beer has 150-200 calories and a comparable amount of alcohol in hard liquor (~40ml) has 90-110 calories. Subjectively, I've also found that liquor gives me far less munchies than beer does.

I've been drinking mostly liquor lately because of this. I do miss my beer though...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    By the time you drank enough to get fat, you would be in jail or the hospital.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Alchol has twice as many calories than protein and carbs. So yes, you can get fat from vodka. I certainly did. Well, I was already fat, but when I started to drink heavily, I gained until I was morbidly obese. Then I cut back to a more normal amount, and dropped 22lbs within a few months, just like that, no other effort required.

I'm confused, alcohol is its own macro? I need to add that one for tracking my macros...

Fat, carbs, protein, fiber, and alcohol....
  • amblight
    Options

I'm confused, alcohol is its own macro? I need to add that one for tracking my macros...

Fat, carbs, protein, fiber, and alcohol....

Yes, alcohol is a macro - just not one that's included in the official macro distributions :) (as putting a percentage on how much of your intake should be booze is pretty silly!)
  • rezrighter
    Options
    Alcohol calories are "Ethanol" measured in grams, 7 cal a gram. considered a form of carb, but will burn slower then average carbs. you can calculate the amount of calories in any drink based on its proof. I created a formula to do that a while back but have since lost it or I would post it. Alcohol is like any other cal, so you can get fat, or not, its all in drinking responsibly... to your diet ;)

I have not heard of a separate macro for Alcohol due to it falling under carbs, but I guess you could.

BTW:
    Carb = 4.1 calories (though 4 is the accepted norm)
    -Ethanol (the stuff that makes you drunk) = 6.9 calories (7 being the norm)
    Protein = 4.1 calories (though again 4 is the accepted norm)
    Fat = 8.8 calories (9 is the normal value used)

Just FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
    "When in doubt... wiki it."
  • amblight
    Options
    Alcohol calories are "Ethanol" measured in grams, 7 cal a gram. considered a form of carb, but will burn slower then average carbs. you can calculate the amount of calories in any drink based on its proof. I created a formula to do that a while back but have since lost it or I would post it. Alcohol is like any other cal, so you can get fat, or not, its all in drinking responsibly... to your diet ;)

I have not heard of a separate macro for Alcohol due to it falling under carbs, but I guess you could.

BTW:

Just FYI

Ethanol is not a carb. Especially in a biological sense, carbs need to have more than two carbon atoms. Also, carbs have aldehyde or ketone groups.

Since it has it's own calorie density as well, it makes sense that it is its own macro as well.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

BTW:

Just FYI

Ethanol is not a carb. Especially in a biological sense, carbs need to have more than two carbon atoms. Also, carbs have aldehyde or ketone groups.

Since it has it's own calorie density as well, it makes sense that it is its own macro as well.

That is awesomely fascinating - but how do I make sure I'm meeting my alcohol macros............:drinker:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Alcohol helped make me fat.
    And moderate, occasional portions of alcohol are helping me stay happy (along with occasional desserts) as I reverse the process.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Can you actually get fat off Vodka?

Definitely. Log it and see how many calories it is, you'll be surprised. I know I was. I now try to allow a little for alcohol if I know I am going out or just accept that it will take me over. If I could just resist all alcohol my life would be so much easier!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I drink. Malibu with water and a slice of lemon
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    *Source- Scoobyworkshop.com*

'Alcohol and Bodybuilding Don’t Mix
    If you are serious about adding muscle and getting 8-pack abs, alcohol is enemy #1. Alcohol and bodybuilding do NOT mix. There are two great reasons to avoid alcohol if you are a bodybuilder: 1) because it inhibits gaining muscle mass and 2) because it makes you fat. Having A beer or glass of wine once or twice a month is not a problem, what I am talking about is daily drinking or weekend binge drinking.

Quick quiz: Drinking one beer a day will add how much fat in one year?

a) 3 pounds of fat
    b) 7 pounds of fat
    c) 12 pounds of fat
    d) 15 pounds of fat
    Choice D. Pretty unbelievable isn’t it. Drink just one beer a day and you add 15lbs of fat in a year. Small changes in diet can have huge effect over time! So just cut out that one beer you have with dinner every night and you can lose 15lbs of fat without running a single mile!!! How easy is that?

People who like to drink cling to the report published a few years ago that drinking red wine might be good for your heart. First of all, the study suggested but not proved this correlation. Second, bodybuilders (at least my audience) are very health conscious and they are at very low risk of heart disease anyway. They are not overweight, get lots of cardio, eat lots of vegetables, fruits and have a lowfat diet. The lowered risk of heart disease seems to be related to the anti-oxidants found in red wine but there are many healthier, and lower calorie, ways to get antioxidants. Another sobering statistic for those clinging to the reports that “Alcohol is good for the heart” is that a 24 year old is FOUR times as likely to die from alcohol related causes than they are to die from heart problems.

Now some of you are thinking that you already have 6-pack abs and that drinking 2-3 beers every day and partying every weekend hasn’t hurt YOUR bodybuilding – WRONG! Drinking HAS hurt you dearly in your ability to add muscle. The quality of every calorie counts when you are a bodybuilder. Those 450 calories in those three beers at dinnertime have zero nutritional value. Instead you could have eaten three broiled chicken breasts and got some quality, low fat protein or with those 450 calories you could have eaten a huge pile of steamed vegetables packed with vitamins. Many people accuse me of being a Nutritional-Nazi and tell me to lighten up but nutrition is critically imporant to bodybuilding. If you have “just one beer’ with dinner and “just one donut” at breakfast and “just one double cheeseburger” at lunch and “just one peanut butter sandwich” for a snack, then suddenly your diet looks remarkably like the average American and you will be fat and weak like the average American! Many people dont believe my claim that you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time and its usually the same people who tell me to “lighten up” about nutrition!!!

Another big problem with alcohol is that it prevents the body from being able to absorb fat soluble vitamins like A, D, K, &E. When you drink daily you are neutralizing the healthy things you have eaten which can leave you malnourished and malnourished bodybuilders cant add muscle. With 3 or more drinks your strength and endurance are lowered for up to 48hrs and you cant add muscle if you are too weak to push your maxes. Drinking so much that you get a hangover can set you back an entire weeks worth of bodybuilding progress between the wasted calories, the lack of sleep, the dehydration, vitamin mal-absorption, and the lack of motivation that follows a drinking binge.

Now lets talk about alcohol, supplements and your liver. Your liver is a big filter that gets all the toxic crap out of your blood and like any filter, it has a limited capacity. If you drink too much you can die from alcohol poisoning because your liver cant filter it out fast enough. Supplements can also be very, very hard on the liver. Liver problems due to creatine and other supplements are very common, its the supplement industries dirty little secret. If you INSIST on taking supplements (which I don’t recommend) then its a bad idea to drink any alcohol at all – not even a single drink. Leave your liver at 100% capacity to filter out the toxic crud found in supplements.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    *Source- Scoobyworkshop.com*

'Alcohol and Bodybuilding Don’t Mix
    If you are serious about adding muscle and getting 8-pack abs, alcohol is enemy #1. Alcohol and bodybuilding do NOT mix. There are two great reasons to avoid alcohol if you are a bodybuilder: 1) because it inhibits gaining muscle mass and 2) because it makes you fat. Having A beer or glass of wine once or twice a month is not a problem, what I am talking about is daily drinking or weekend binge drinking.

Quick quiz: Drinking one beer a day will add how much fat in one year?

a) 3 pounds of fat
    b) 7 pounds of fat
    c) 12 pounds of fat
    d) 15 pounds of fat
    Choice D. Pretty unbelievable isn’t it. Drink just one beer a day and you add 15lbs of fat in a year. Small changes in diet can have huge effect over time! So just cut out that one beer you have with dinner every night and you can lose 15lbs of fat without running a single mile!!! How easy is that?

People who like to drink cling to the report published a few years ago that drinking red wine might be good for your heart. First of all, the study suggested but not proved this correlation. Second, bodybuilders (at least my audience) are very health conscious and they are at very low risk of heart disease anyway. They are not overweight, get lots of cardio, eat lots of vegetables, fruits and have a lowfat diet. The lowered risk of heart disease seems to be related to the anti-oxidants found in red wine but there are many healthier, and lower calorie, ways to get antioxidants. Another sobering statistic for those clinging to the reports that “Alcohol is good for the heart” is that a 24 year old is FOUR times as likely to die from alcohol related causes than they are to die from heart problems.

Now some of you are thinking that you already have 6-pack abs and that drinking 2-3 beers every day and partying every weekend hasn’t hurt YOUR bodybuilding – WRONG! Drinking HAS hurt you dearly in your ability to add muscle. The quality of every calorie counts when you are a bodybuilder. Those 450 calories in those three beers at dinnertime have zero nutritional value. Instead you could have eaten three broiled chicken breasts and got some quality, low fat protein or with those 450 calories you could have eaten a huge pile of steamed vegetables packed with vitamins. Many people accuse me of being a Nutritional-Nazi and tell me to lighten up but nutrition is critically imporant to bodybuilding. If you have “just one beer’ with dinner and “just one donut” at breakfast and “just one double cheeseburger” at lunch and “just one peanut butter sandwich” for a snack, then suddenly your diet looks remarkably like the average American and you will be fat and weak like the average American! Many people dont believe my claim that you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time and its usually the same people who tell me to “lighten up” about nutrition!!!

Another big problem with alcohol is that it prevents the body from being able to absorb fat soluble vitamins like A, D, K, &E. When you drink daily you are neutralizing the healthy things you have eaten which can leave you malnourished and malnourished bodybuilders cant add muscle. With 3 or more drinks your strength and endurance are lowered for up to 48hrs and you cant add muscle if you are too weak to push your maxes. Drinking so much that you get a hangover can set you back an entire weeks worth of bodybuilding progress between the wasted calories, the lack of sleep, the dehydration, vitamin mal-absorption, and the lack of motivation that follows a drinking binge.

Now lets talk about alcohol, supplements and your liver. Your liver is a big filter that gets all the toxic crap out of your blood and like any filter, it has a limited capacity. If you drink too much you can die from alcohol poisoning because your liver cant filter it out fast enough. Supplements can also be very, very hard on the liver. Liver problems due to creatine and other supplements are very common, its the supplement industries dirty little secret. If you INSIST on taking supplements (which I don’t recommend) then its a bad idea to drink any alcohol at all – not even a single drink. Leave your liver at 100% capacity to filter out the toxic crud found in supplements.

Useless fear mongering - if you fit it in to your daily TDEE you'll be fine. Beer contains the very vitamins of which you say it will stop absorption as well as vitamin B. Why do you assume that a beer a day is extra to the TDEE? You could make the same statement about ice cream or two medium oranges. "Just cut out two oranges a day and you will cut out 58,240 cal/ year!!!!! What a silly statement.

I drink beer daily - I'm down 5 lbs and lifting and feeling quite virtuous. As with all things - moderation. Which of course means different things to different people.

cheers.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can get fat off of any foodstuff, provided you eat more calories than your burning. Alcohol is no different.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yep it can.

It can also make for a really good night.

Moderation, my friend.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you metabolize alcohol first, does that mean if I eat while drinking alcohol what I ate turns straight to stored fat?