1200 calories is HARD...

Options
2»

Replies

• DOVE437
    DOVE437 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you Everyone who added positive feedback and suggestions :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Another one of these threads.. really?? 1200 calories is hard... ya ok..
  • tattooednurse01
    tattooednurse01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm really not trying to be snarky, but I don't understand these posts. If it's so hard to reach the measly sum of 1200 calories, how come you have weight to lose?

I'm at 1200 right now and I haven't had dinner yet.

I have hypothyroidism and am pre-diabetic. I've always struggled with my weight and my family has a lot of issues. My cholesterol is through the roof and has been since I was 21 so I've been conscious of food for a long time. Eating has never been a problem for me, and I've never been really excited about it. Quite frankly I don't care about food and until I started running 25 miles a week, did Insanity and WW with out loosing a lb, I started tracking EVERYTHING that went into my mouth. That is when I realized I was averaging 800 calories a day and had to add food to my diet. The stuggles go both ways. :wink:

so you were averaging 800 calories a day with running 25 miles a week and did insanity and didn't lose any weight ... are you sure? Is that net calories?

Hypothyroidism and prediabetes makes you less hungry and makes you not use the fuel you are having, it slows you metabolism down so you down burn the calories. Because of the slow metabolism the 1200 calories may be all her body requires for running like a maniac.
  • grainfreemama
    grainfreemama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is hard to believe that someone could exercise like a maniac and eat 800 calories and not lose weight, but untreated or UNDER-treated hypothyroidism will do just that! Before I got my levels sorted out I couldn't lose a LB! It is incredible frustrating! It is hard to believe if you haven't been there.

As far as not hitting 1200 calories-you obviously have to change up what you are eating. I find when you eat in a very regimented way (dieting) you can slowly go lower and lower calorie or crab-wise. I myself had to add fruit back into my diet because my carbs were creeping below 30g/day which is too low especially since I work out 5-6 times a week. PEANUT BUTTER! :)

Also I agree about cutting out diet food. If the food you like don't keep you as full-eat more...this should help if you are having trouble ingesting enough calories.
  • cheflisa1974
    cheflisa1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with getting the calorie intake right and getting a well balanced meal so I don't eat pavement as they say! I have been so thankful for Shakeology to help me get the nutrition I need no matter what else happens during the day! :drinker:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm really not trying to be snarky, but I don't understand these posts. If it's so hard to reach the measly sum of 1200 calories, how come you have weight to lose?

I'm at 1200 right now and I haven't had dinner yet.

I have hypothyroidism and am pre-diabetic. I've always struggled with my weight and my family has a lot of issues. My cholesterol is through the roof and has been since I was 21 so I've been conscious of food for a long time. Eating has never been a problem for me, and I've never been really excited about it. Quite frankly I don't care about food and until I started running 25 miles a week, did Insanity and WW with out loosing a lb, I started tracking EVERYTHING that went into my mouth. That is when I realized I was averaging 800 calories a day and had to add food to my diet. The stuggles go both ways. :wink:

so you were averaging 800 calories a day with running 25 miles a week and did insanity and didn't lose any weight ... are you sure? Is that net calories?

Hypothyroidism and prediabetes makes you less hungry and makes you not use the fuel you are having, it slows you metabolism down so you down burn the calories. Because of the slow metabolism the 1200 calories may be all her body requires for running like a maniac.

the thing is 800 calories is really very little and the reason I asked about net calories is because with all that running and other aerobic exercise that looks like at least 400 cals a day or maybe more.

I get that those conditions mentioned affect the metabolism, so you then have far less room for error. If she averaged 800 cals and did not count in exercise calories that would mean that her actual average after counting in exercise might have been as low as 400 - 500 cals, which seems really unlikely considering that she did not lose any weight, not even a little.

If she counted her exercise calories then it is quite possible that through an accumulation of little errors she actually consumed more and burnt less and because her metabolism is what it is she actually ate at maintenance. Yes her maintenance might be stupidly low for her stats, but 800 cals ???

As an example:
    she could log 1300 cals food and 500 cals exercise, bringing her net calories to 800. Now, if she was out by 200 cals with the food for whatever reason, and her exercise calories where out by 300 cals, because ultimately the estimates of calorie burns assumes a normal metabolism, she actually consumed 1500 cals and had 200 cals exercise thus bringing over all consumption to 1300 calories, which, whilst still low, is more realistic.

I personally would get the hypothyroidism treated and see whether adopting the diabetes diet and meticulous logging shows any change, but that's just my 0.2
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat...

have full fat dressing on your salad (or perhaps eat more than just salads for lunch), saute veggies or roast them in olive oil, nuts and nut butters, eat eggs and cheese and full fat dairy. fat is a very essential macro-nutrient and most dieters cut out way too much because they are under the impression that it is the devil and that fat makes you fat...it does not.

veg and fruit, etc are great, but you need far more than that to get proper nutrition.

this is great advice and also the other one about the added foods. avacados in your eggs or salads or sandwiches are yummy. oils on your vegies when cooking them and some butter on them when eating them, lol. , smart ones have so much sodium. try to make it on your own or at least add some stuff to the smart ones like cheese on the pasta or rices, or have a pc of bread with it. cream in your coffee is more calories. add in some protein to your salads or some croutons and cheese. there are ways to add in more calories without hardly adding more food. that is the reason most of us have the problem with eating too much calories. good luck.. remember your body needs carbs and protein and fats when doing a race. I am sure of that. maybe you need to check out your tdee and eat like that. it might be better for you. not sure.