Vegan Weight Loss (Not as Easy as You Think)!

Options
Are there any vegans out there who are still working on weight loss who would like to ban together in mutual support?

Replies

• MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    me :)
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    im newly vegan after 10 years vegetarian, are you ladies having any luck yet with weight loss?
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Drop potato, wheat and rice and you can make some amazing headway! Try it for 2 wks
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    Drop potato, wheat and rice and you can make some amazing headway! Try it for 2 wks

argh sounds like hell lol
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 15 since Jan. Following the happy herbivore weekly meal plans. And I still get rice and potatoes in there once and a while :)
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and eat rice. In the end you still need to keep calories in mind, we just get a lot more food for the calories! :) feel free to add me!
  • Tinkerbell1988
    Tinkerbell1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "true vegan" I still eat burgers and pizza and fish occasionally. Maybe 3 times a month but for the most part my daily food consist of lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I still eat rice, noodles, and I looooooove potatoes. So far I've lost about 40 lbs since January of this year so I think I'm doing pretty good :-)
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost a year now and yes! Losing weight is not as easy as people tend to think for us. I did drop about 10 pounds quickly after I switched to a vegan diet, and I've dropped about 15 since November, so… some progress, but slow progress. Anyway, to answer your question: yes, more vegan friends are always welcome in my book. :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "true vegan" I still eat burgers and pizza and fish occasionally. Maybe 3 times a month but for the most part my daily food consist of lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I still eat rice, noodles, and I looooooove potatoes. So far I've lost about 40 lbs since January of this year so I think I'm doing pretty good :-)

lol, this makes you not a vegan at all, but great job on the weight loss.
  • LessThnLaura
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I've been doing a lot of "accidentally vegan" meals. I'm trying to up my protein intake so I've been cooking with lots of beans and replacing rice with quinoa. A lot of people don't like quinoa, but think of it as tofu, it takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with. I usually throw together some or of sauce or seasoning mix and pour it in while it is cooking. You can also cook it in vegetable broth for more flavor.

I made my own hummus (soooo much better than the store bought crap I was eating before) and will eat that with veggies. Smoothies are good for a quick breakfast: I do cup of soy or coconut milk with frozen fruit, protein powder and chia seeds. Chilis and soups with a lot of beans that can cook in the crock pot are awesome. Stir fry with quinoa was my dinner tonight.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

lol
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I've been doing a lot of "accidentally vegan" meals. I'm trying to up my protein intake so I've been cooking with lots of beans and replacing rice with quinoa. A lot of people don't like quinoa, but think of it as tofu, it takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with. I usually throw together some or of sauce or seasoning mix and pour it in while it is cooking. You can also cook it in vegetable broth for more flavor.

I made my own hummus (soooo much better than the store bought crap I was eating before) and will eat that with veggies. Smoothies are good for a quick breakfast: I do cup of soy or coconut milk with frozen fruit, protein powder and chia seeds. Chilis and soups with a lot of beans that can cook in the crock pot are awesome. Stir fry with quinoa was my dinner tonight.

i LOVE quinoa and its great for protein!!! great ideas!
  • unisheep
    unisheep Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree: weight loss isn't guaranteed or easy as vegan ... you have to work on it just like "everybody else".

I am trying to eat many more vegetables and more fruit rather than filling up on carbs and fat. That has been working so far (although I did have a slip up involving French fries over the weekend)

Mooncow/Unisheep
    http://weightlossveganstyle.blogspot.it/

61623559.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Reduckie
    Reduckie Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of preexisting groups...one is called the Happy Herbivore.

I found dropping anything made with any kind of flour has helped me to stay at 138 to 142 (I'm 5 ft 8 inches.) Even as pretty much a vegan (and complete vegetarian) I've found that the easiest calories to overeat are the ones which are most processed.
  • Eastmont87
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, been vegan. And for me, I'm losing weight as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, just like with every other diet.
    It's just about finding the right amount of calories to eat everyday.
  • ardenewright
    ardenewright Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know you are right. I have to sacrifice more food to the fat gods LOL! Psychologically, that has been a challenge. I feel that I have given up so much. I live in Louisiana! Louisiana arguably has some of the best food, especially seafood and anything fried in the world. And I am a 2-year vegan! It has been quite a journey. Okay, now that I have finished whining, I have to get my head together for this one. Giving up rice is worse than giving up fried chicken But I will give it a try. Thank you!
  • ardenewright
    Options
    To remain in a calorie deficit, you track everything you eat on this site? Is that what you mean?
  • ardenewright
    Options
    Can you share your hummus recipe?
  • ardenewright
    Options
    Thank you!