Weight training making me bulky? What else do I do?

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I could try to write something smart but people have already beat me to it.
    I'm a big fan of this article about Staci from Nerd Fitness. I think I've posted this link at least a dozen times.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

There's a lot of personal failure and success that went into her journey. I hope you find it useful and write an awesome article like this some day. Best of luck.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hello

I've been weight training for a year and a half now. I am naturally toned and I build muscle quite easily. I want to look slim, but weight training makes me look bulky. Yes I know everyone is going to say that muscle looks good on women but I do not like the look of big legs. My quad muscles stick out and because I have very tiny calves, it looks out of proportion.

I have tried a full body circuit 3 times a week, with 40mins cardio a day in the days between, and I have also tried a 5 day split with some cardio after. It all makes my muscles bulgy. I want to look skinny and slim.

Should I just stop weight training altogether? If so, what other cardio should I do? Normally I either power walk for 40-60 minutes, or do a 45 min circuit with 15 mins on each (treadmill, bike and elliptical)

If you want to try something different try adding more protein and lowering your carbs. You'll get more benefits from your weight training and will probably loose that bulkyness.. Strive for at least .8g to 1.2g/lbs
    Good Luck

dyel
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    ... dafuq? :indifferent: :huh:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have tried a full body circuit 3 times a week, with 40mins cardio a day in the days between, and I have also tried a 5 day split with some cardio after. It all makes my muscles bulgy. I want to look skinny and slim.

I have a really hard time believing that a full body circuit 3x per week combined with cardio is causing you to get bulky legs. Generally circuit training is considered great for burning fat, but not for maximum bulking Don't think that you're getting bulky just because your muscles get pumped up with blood flow right after weight training.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OP I see two possibilities here.

Either you're not really at 18% body fat and what you're seeing on your legs is fat (you say it's fat in another post). What method did you use to find your body fat %?

or

You're not seeing yourself as you truly are. Given the history of extreme low calories and the fact that you're thinking of taking phentermine despite being at a healthy weight, this is the option toward which I'm leaning.

The weights routine you're doing is already low weight, high reps, which is unlikely to result in a lot of muscle growth when paired with a severe deficit (1000 calorie days).

However, you also haven't been tracking. It's possible you've unintentionally been bulking. In which case see option 1.

All of this.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It might be fat? lol. Sorry but you have no pics in your profile!
  • nastasyk
    nastasyk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://i62.tinypic.com/r0vxx2.jpg

That is a photo. To me it looks bulky because I have very slim calves. My calf muscles don't build muscle though, I already train them and my job requires me to work 40 hours a week in heels so they definitely get a workout -_-
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for posting a picture.

Honestly it is very hard to tell due to the angle of the snap in that picture one thigh looks big BUT the other does not. I suspect it's just a very bad pic.

Do you have a pic of your legs straight on?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hi

Honestly it is very hard to tell due to the angle of the snap in that picture one thigh looks big BUT the other does not. I suspect it's just a very bad pic.

This.

But based on just that picture I'd say keep eating at a calorie deficit and keep lifting and over time your legs will lean out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi

This.

But based on just that picture I'd say keep eating at a calorie deficit and keep lifting and over time your legs will lean out.

Yeah I'd agree

Also what do you do for your calves? Maybe add some extra assistance work for them so they balance over time.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    your legs are beautiful.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hi

Even better, could you post a pic of what you want your legs to look like? A goal pic, using the model, actress, athlete, or whoever has the legs that you think you should have. I find that the cause of a lot of disappoint is unrealistic expectations, and if you can identify what you're hoping to see in the mirror, we can get a better idea of what you should be doing
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    your legs are beautiful.

Always this. :flowerforyou:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    your legs are beautiful.

This. Your leg doesn't look big, just looks flexed. Plus you look pretty lean (based on the look of your upper body and legs, 1 pic) that I disagree with continuing eating at a deficit.

Far from bulky, whatever that even means.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    your legs are beautiful.

This.

I'm guessing you are comparing your legs to model's legs or something you see on T.V. I don't think your body type is the same as those ladies. That look isn't realistic or healthy for everyone. I think the first step will be some body acceptance. Some of us have big legs. I do. Bigger legs are beautiful as well.

However I do think you could lose a bit more (5-10lbs) weight if you want (although you look lovely as is) and you might be more happy with your legs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Your legs are not "bulky" whatever the hell that means. Smdh.

tumblr_lwg5pmGVcS1qzjix8.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That is a photo. To me it looks bulky because I have very slim calves. My calf muscles don't build muscle though, I already train them and my job requires me to work 40 hours a week in heels so they definitely get a workout -_-

r0vxx2.jpg

Just putting the picture up for you.

Also...how did you figure 18%? And although the angle is a bit hard to tell, your legs don't look "bulky".
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Walking in heels isn't a workout that builds muscle in calves
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Walking in heels isn't a workout that builds muscle in calves

I assume Dave has tried this method? :-)