Heel pain? Runners advice?

Options
Admittedly, I haven't been running very long, and really just started to be able to go for longer distances, but recently I've had to stop running due to a "pain" in my heal/Achilles tendon area, mostly on my right side. It doesn't really bother me when I'm actually running/walking, but if i'm stationary for a while, sitting, when I start to move again it bothers me. I usually warm up on an elliptical for about 25-30 minutes then stretch, then start my treadmill work. I don't get to the gym on a "regular" basis but I do alternate my work outs between barbell classes on one trip and cardio on the next. Funny thing is the lifting seems to have helped my shin splints problem now there's this! I'm planning on getting to the new balance store this weekend and have my feet fitted correctly in some good shoes, do you think that will alleviate the issue?

Replies

• wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue and I was diagnosed with tendonitis so it is hard for me to run outside on concrete but it hasn't stopped me, I just do it indoors on machines or jog in place for 2 miles.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the dreaded plantar fasciitis. There are a few things you can do:

Daily stretches, like the "towel stretch".
    Daily strengthening exercises. Google "plantar fasciitis" for which stretches and exercises to do.
    Run on the grass whenever possible, as opposed to hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt.
    Avoid carrying anything heavy
    Get arch supports in your shoes. (<
    Can't emphasize this enough!)

I had it really bad for years, but that is what i did to find relieve. It takes time, but it works.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Look up exercises for Achilles tendonitis. You need to do heel raises to help strengthen the Achilles. Take it seriously - an Achilles injury is a real pain. I had a partial tear a few years ago and it was no fun!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Daily strengthening exercises. Google "plantar fasciitis" for which stretches and exercises to do.
    Run on the grass whenever possible, as opposed to hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt.

I had it really bad for years, but that is what i did to find relieve. It takes time, but it works.

can i just buy those "off the rack"? or do i need to go to a podiatrist?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I had it really bad for several years as well - almost ended up in surgery - I used SuperFeet orthotics (they have several colors, which are different levels of support; for plantar fasciitis you most likely need the green ones), which run $40 a pair at Sports Chalet which is the closest local store to me that carries them.
  • mrsfyredude
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into all the advice! Appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I used cheap ol' Dr. Scholl's for my work shoes. It worked and was less than $10.
  • Phrick
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into all the advice! Appreciate it! :flowerforyou:

This is a great illustrated list of PF exercises/stretches, the same ones I got from my physical therapist. Should help.

edit: oh hell, it's too big. Here's the link
    http://i500.photobucket.com/albums/e403/junipernw/PF-Stretches_zps2458992e.jpg
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I had it really bad for several years as well - almost ended up in surgery - I used SuperFeet orthotics (they have several colors, which are different levels of support; for plantar fasciitis you most likely need the green ones), which run $40 a pair at Sports Chalet which is the closest local store to me that carries them.

Signs of plantar fasciatis: not so painful when up and moving but after sitting or first thing in the am really painful sole of foot in heel area…. as all the fibers that have come together while you were off your feet are pulled apart again when you stand. People who are on their feet all day are more likely to experience or new walkers/runners with less than adequate foot support. Also as we get older our bones don't support as much. Kids don't get this.

There is a store called "The Good Foot Store" where you can get semi custom orthotics. They are like $100. If its plantar fasciatis you need to rest and stretch (Roll over a tennis ball.). And wear the arches all the time in all your shoes!
    You can got to PT for ultrasound and iontophoresis but try the arches first.

You also need supportive running or cross training shoes (not the real flexible ones).

I'm a PT and successfully got rid of my foot pain.
  • mrsfyredude
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Foam roller! Or in the case of feet, try a firm rubber ball.

I've been running (getting back to it after a long lay off) for 6 weeks. At about 3 weeks in my feet were really sore and the peroneal tendons in my left leg were killing me ( 1 year old ankle fracture causing issues). I first got a ball and rolled my feet. No kidding, within a couple days the pain was gone. Then got a larger roller for the rest of my body. My feet remind me to roll when I increase run time, but all pain has been reduced to mild soreness you'd expect with starting a new activity. I'm amazed at how well rolling works. There are many how to videos on you tube. The ball would be a cheap trial. The one I both was $2 at the dollar store. Sadly, I have to go get another one. In a house with 4 dogs balls disappear. :)

Also, make sure you have the right shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. Nothing will compensate for running in the wrong shoes.

Lastly, watch your form. Are you heel striking when running? There are pros and cons to landing heel/mid/fore foot. Knowing how you are landing can help you diagnose and remedy some running pains.

Best of luck!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know this is older but so glad I found this. I had no idea what was causing my heel pain when I started running. Do any of you have a brand of shoes? I think I'll replace my running shoes but I've no idea what to buy.
  • Phrick
    Options
    I know this is older but so glad I found this. I had no idea what was causing my heel pain when I started running. Do any of you have a brand of shoes? I think I'll replace my running shoes but I've no idea what to buy.

It's best to go to a running store (not a sporting goods store but a store dedicated to running) and get your stride looked at. What type of shoe is best for you depends on if you pronate, supinate, or have a neutral foot/stride. Mine is pretty neutral and I wear Nike Air Pegasus but my husband wears Brooks Beast shoes because he's a major supinator (and non-runner lol).
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist and get a proper diagnosis. The last thing you want to do is treat something you don't have based on symptoms and what the interweb told you you have and end up treating the wrong thing.

I injured my foot last year, the ball area right below my next to the last toe. I couldn't run and I was in excruciating pain. Based on a Google search and what I was told I diagnosed myself with Mortons Neuroma. I did everything that the interweb told me to do: iced it, stayed off it wore flip flops (because that was supposedly the best remedy for this injury). Needless to say it didn't get better so I sucked it up and went to the podiatrist. Turns out that wasn't what I had at all and wearing flip flops was the worst possible thing that I could have done for the injury (hence the reason I was in excruciating pain all. the. time). What I have has to do with the fact that I have very high arches and I am mostly a ball-of-foot runner.

The point is that yeah, you can Google your symptoms, ask around and get tons of advice on what it "might" be but unless you go to a doctor you won't know for sure and therefor you could be doing yourself more harm than good.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm new to running and dieting so all the info on this site is awesome and somewhat confusing at times!
    Who knew there was so much to a good diet and exercise.

I'm going to get new shoes this weekend. I streched and streched before running yesterday and I have very little pain today. Also I had to run a little slower and drop the incline.

Thanks again. This newbie is ready to be fit!
  • dscampbell1979
    dscampbell1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am very new to running so take this for what it's worth. I have gotten rid of heel pain, knee pain, and ankle pain by simply consistently stretching my calves. After lots of googling I came to the conclusion that the calf muscles being tight can really pull on a lot of other muscles causing pain. My calves have been tight ever since having my first baby 7 years ago, I get Charlie horse all the time in my calves that started during pregnancy and just kinda stuck around since then. When my calves are loose and stretched I rarely get pain in my lower legs.