Has anyone roasted Chick Peas?

Options

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Did it a few years ago. Did something wrong. Half were burnt and the other half didn't get crispy...
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    yoink
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes, they tasted exactly like corn nuts to me.
  • Jazz_Hands
    Jazz_Hands Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make them ALL the time! 2 cans, rinsed and patted dry in my oven at 375 for about an hour....then *WHILE STILL HOT* tossed with 2 T EVOO, 1/4c parmesan, 1 t garlic powder, and a touch of salt and pepper.

Amazing.

Protip: DON'T add any spices prior to roasting. They will burn.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    sounds lovely, will have to try this!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's like eating candy....highly recommend it. Very easy also, and as noted, since it's an "in" thing now, tons of recipes. I used to get mine before that from random blogs and Food Network.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I make roasted chickpea tacos and my family loves them so much they don't want regular tacos anymore.

2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 tablespoons water
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice and water. Stir in chickpeas that have been well-drained and patted dry with a paper towel. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Place seasoned chickpeas on a baking sheet or roasting pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring a couple of times until chickpeas are slightly crispy.

Put in taco shells and add toppings as desired. We keep it simple - lettuce, tomato, avocado and shredded cheese.

They're messy and the chickpeas roll out but omg, yum :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I burn them every single time. I've also tried to roast cauliflower to the same avail. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've done it. They were pretty tasty, but the caramelised almonds were more popular (but less healthy)
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love chickpeas and really, really love hummus but sometimes I want my hummus in crunchy form so I make roasted chickpeas with tahini dressing. It's pretty amazing.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I made these the other night and they were horrible. I dont really know how I could do anything wrong, I followed the recipe exactly (it's 3 ingredients and a spoon for godsake)... I won't try them again
  • Darrenlewis68
    Darrenlewis68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are delicious and if you get them crunchy, another level is achieved in flavor!!
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am really surprised that this is the new thing!

My mum has given me soo many packs bought back from India that I didn't just eat! I have a whole container that I will slowly get through.

I have found them to be pretty plain, but the usual Indian snack is to mix peanuts with them. I think it has a sprinkling of salt, but thats about it!
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I eat roasted chickpeas everyday! I use this receipe but change up the seasoning. I usually season with McCormick's Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon, or just with garlic and a little salt. I tried a receipe for salt and vinegar once but it was too much vinegar for me (wasn't like the salt and vinegar potato chips I used to eat). The great thing about roasted chickpeas is that you can add any seasoning you want and you get the crunch like eating junk food.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/07/crunchy-cinnamon-sugar-roasted-chick-peas/

ETA: If you taste once and they are still a slightly mushy texture then just leave them in the oven for a little while longer until they are crunchy. I usually put them in for 15 minutes, then take them out and drizzle/spray with olive oil and season and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes. Then let them coolin the oven with the door open for a little longer. Just taste test them a few times. You don't want them soft or too crunchy or they really dry out.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I make them ALL the time! 2 cans, rinsed and patted dry in my oven at 375 for about an hour....then *WHILE STILL HOT* tossed with 2 T EVOO, 1/4c parmesan, 1 t garlic powder, and a touch of salt and pepper.

Amazing.

Protip: DON'T add any spices prior to roasting. They will burn.

Bump to save instructions, they sound yummy...thanks for sharing
  • macey333
    macey333 Posts: 42
    Options
    I love roasted chickpeas! They taste really good and they're a great healthy alternative to crisps/ other unhealthy savoury snacks.
    I use Cassey Ho's recipe from blogalites! http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2011/03/02/roasted-chickpeas/
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can I rost it in a T-fal Actifry pan?
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM! I add my spices prior to roasting w/o burning problems.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    They are delicious and if you get them crunchy, another level is achieved in flavor!!

I have made them a few times but can't seem to get them to the right crunch level. Any tips would be appreciated. Chickpeas in any form is one of my favorite things to eat.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    They aren't too shabby depending on how you season them. I swear the seasoning makes or breaks them.