gotta "crappy" problem.. warning, theres going to be details

Options
Let me say that I'm not shy about this kind of stuff and I will go into detail' I'm planning a scientific study on myself and would like some input. Depending how the next month goes, I'm already planning a trip to the Dr. But I want as much information gathered prior to going.

First and foremost, I used to be very regular actually I would have a b.m bowel movement 5/6 times a week. Up until about 6 months ago, then it dropped to around 4 times a week and know its dropped tremendously to where I'm struggling to go 2 times a week! I hate taking laxitives because I believe that they are a quick for the moment fix, and I was so "backed up" after not going for 4 days last week, I broke down and took a women's laxitive on Saturday and passed black fecal matter. Abnormal for me, that Sunday morning I passed another one of same color and visually the same texture. Today is Thursday and I managed to have a very small bm. I bought some culterelle pills today and have taken one. I know its not where I'm not eating enough fiber I usually go over by about 10 grams, and I drink already 4 bottles of water a day and coffee with very little sugar. Has any one else ran into this issue? If So, what worked for you?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Black stools are a sign of "old blood" coming from somewhere else in the digestive track. If the blood were near the rectum, then it would be new blood and reddish in color.

You really shouldn't wait a month to go to the Dr.

Also, if you were eating a lot more processed foods and now eating more real foods in the form of vegetables, fruits and meats then the decreased going can be from the body being able to utilize the food more, which means less excrement.

The bothering part of what you said is the "black stools".
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Today's fecal matter was brown. If it was a bloody and the sign of something bad, wouldn't it still be black
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    any kind of bleeding in the bowel or from the *kitten* needs to be checked by a doctor. In most cases it's nothing serious, but it's important to rule out more serious issues.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Today's fecal matter was brown. If it was a bloody and the sign of something bad, wouldn't it still be black

Not necessarily and it could be where you can't really see it either.

I would go to the Dr now, not wait 30 days.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-1369-1395315417-1.gif
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A picture's worth a thousand words...

But seriously, if you have a "back door" issue please go to a doctor!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    PaleoPath4Lyf is right about black stools but read your laxative container and find out if it darkens stool and try to determine if that is what you are seeing. I agree with everyone. Dr is best bet.
  • srankara2004
    srankara2004 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The big question if it is blood or not is that blood, in bowel movements in my own experience, has a really really strong sickly sweet smell...but I would get a doctor ASAP to make sure.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you've been taking iron supplements that may be the cause of black stools. If not, just keep an eye on it, if it keeps happening you should talk to your doctor.

Personally, I'll have a BM maybe 4x a week, sometimes more than that if I've had a lot of fiber. Any time I start feeling backed up I'll eat some sugar free candies, particularly sugar free jelly beans, those suckers will clean you out!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    FYI, Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate can do this.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Looked at your food diary---don't see any vegetables, and little fruit. You need fiber to go. You might want to change things.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-1369-1395315417-1.gif

Lol! Love the video
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Took a quick look at your diary. I agree with the above, no way are you getting enough fiber. Add fiber as one of your tracked nutrients and shoot for at least 40g a day.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    prune juice, sir. prune juice. its healthy, it makes you go, and i think its not like laxatives because its better at getting you going and keeping you there. and if these guys say you need you fiber and fruit... drink up!!
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you need more fiber. I'll trade ya I have loose b.m. everyday like 6x a day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Let me say that I'm not shy about this kind of stuff and I will go into detail' I'm planning a scientific study on myself and would like some input. Depending how the next month goes, I'm already planning a trip to the Dr. But I want as much information gathered prior to going.

First and foremost, I used to be very regular actually I would have a b.m bowel movement 5/6 times a week. Up until about 6 months ago, then it dropped to around 4 times a week and know its dropped tremendously to where I'm struggling to go 2 times a week! I hate taking laxitives because I believe that they are a quick for the moment fix, and I was so "backed up" after not going for 4 days last week, I broke down and took a women's laxitive on Saturday and passed black fecal matter. Abnormal for me, that Sunday morning I passed another one of same color and visually the same texture. Today is Thursday and I managed to have a very small bm. I bought some culterelle pills today and have taken one. I know its not where I'm not eating enough fiber I usually go over by about 10 grams, and I drink already 4 bottles of water a day and coffee with very little sugar. Has any one else ran into this issue? If So, what worked for you?

I suffer with Ibs and since starting this in January it has become so bad for me i was suffering about the same as you until my doctor gave me fybogel 2 weeks a go now I am going regular every morning but mine is still very black I am back at the doctors Friday fingers crossed not something bad didn't even think anything of it being black
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Black stools are a sign of "old blood" coming from somewhere else in the digestive track. If the blood were near the rectum, then it would be new blood and reddish in color.

You really shouldn't wait a month to go to the Dr.

Also, if you were eating a lot more processed foods and now eating more real foods in the form of vegetables, fruits and meats then the decreased going can be from the body being able to utilize the food more, which means less excrement.

The bothering part of what you said is the "black stools".

Me, too. Black, tarry stools are also a side effect of iron pills, so if you're not taking iron, don't wait a month to go to the doc.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003130.htm
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I broke down and took a women's laxitive on Saturday and passed black fecal matter.

You have internal bleeding somewhere. Since you're having difficulty with BM's, that blood could have originated either in your stomach or colon. If you didn't have BM difficulties, black stools usually originate in the stomach, meaning there's a bleeding ulcer. Even though you had a brown stool one day doesn't mean you may not produce a black stool the next.

You should see a doctor ASAP and run blood tests. Due to the internal bleeding, you could become anemic.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really? Is nothing sacred?