Making up for a cheat day

Options
I'm new here, thanks for hearing me out and providing guidance. I am working toward 1780 net calories. If I happen to go over by 1000 calories one day, is it better to be near my 1780 net calories the other days of the week, or try to be below by a couple hundred per day to make up for the cheat day?

By the way, this site is great. I've lost 6 pounds in a month and my clothes are feeling too big! Thank you!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't make up for my days off. I take the weekends off from exercise and a strict calorie goal. If I go over, I go over and I don't worry about it.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree, If 1780 is working for you, then just get back on the 1780 wagon after each over eat. Simple, hunh? :drinker: (water)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hiya! glad the site is working for you - mfp is great! i would suggest eating a couple hundred less calories for a few days and drink *lots* of water! are you working out? hypothetically, you could eat your 1780 calories and workout to burn a couple of hundred instead of reducing your calorie intake if you'd rather. so long as you don't go below 1200 calories (the generally agreed on average magic number for the *minimum* amount of calories to eat per day), shaving some extra calories won't hurt a bit. best of luck to you!
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do not make up for days that I either messed up on, or cheated on. Once the day is over, it is a new day, no stressing over the previous day.

For cheat days, I just aim for a certain day, like for instance, Saturday. Gotta have a cheat day. Dieting shouldn't be punishment. Have fun with it!

Even during my normal days, I've found I can sometimes eat a personal Digiorno pizza and not go over my calories. It is important to enjoy your diet.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    What you can also do is check to see what your maintenance calorie goal is for the day (so, instead of aiming for a 1 - 2 pound / week loss you would choose maintenance). If you are under than no worries as it won't / shouldn't cause any changes. Of course, opting to reduce or really exercise vigorously the rest of the week is an option as well ... and remember... always drink your water!
    :drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker::drinker:
  • cgrezlak
    Options
    Thanks all, great input!
  • Mrsbostwick
    Mrsbostwick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try not to have a "cheat" day. I mean, I overindulge sometimes, but I also do not tell myself that I cant have something. I just have the thing I want but a smaller portion of it. That way I am still getting some of the treats I want, just in smaller, healthier moderation. Like tonight, I had cheesecake bites....200 calories for 20 of them!! Granted, I had to give them to the husband to put away so I wouldnt eat the whole thing!! But you should allow yourself a treat, but in moderation!! For me the more strict I am on myself, the more I want something bad to eat, so if I just eat a little, then I am good!! :)

But on my bad days where I overindulge, I just get right back on track the next day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with skittlebug. Cheat "day" is a bit excessive. If you want to have a treat then do so. Can make up for it with exercise that day or the next.

If you have mega cravings and eat a heap of **** and go way over, then personally I would make up for it the next day with exercise not reduced cals.

Also, remember this isn't a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.