CURE FOR DIABETES ????

Options
October 2013 Newcastle universities biomedicine research facillity England, published this...

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

After the recent news i had i thought i might give it a go, i was told im pre diabetic and can try to keep it at bay by changing my diet and exercising as if i have already got full blown type 2, but that i will no doubt have diabetes type 2 in the near future because of family history, im still producing some insulin but because i gained weight in my waist area the insulin im producing wont be working anyway :P

It makes interesting reading and could change lives of many people, i would like your thoughts on this too though.

Replies

• 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Type 2 can generally be reversed....I wish the same could be said for my type 1 though...
  • yelloforever
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing, I have hypertension, insulin resistance, and extremely high testosterone. My doctor informed me of my odds of developing diabetes if I don't lose the weight and eat healthier,due to both of my parents being diabetic. My mother is on dialysis now and has really pushed the importance to me of listening to my doctor and my body. She said that she always felt that she was still young and being healthy was not a priority. When she finally decided to change she had severe diabetes and her kidneys shut down. I see the struggle she goes through daily and I am glad I am doing something about it. I do know that sometimes situations will happen to your body no matter what you do but if I can in some way redirect the course, I say why not give it a shot.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was not diabetic, but I was was pre-diabetic and insulin resistant. When I lost the weight it went away. (That was also my initial reason for wanting to gain muscle, because it helps with insulin sensitivity.)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 in December, which is what brought me here. With diet, exercise and metformin my blood work is back to non-diabetic levels. I'm eating a reduced carb ( not low carb ) diet and exercising 5-6 days a week.

You can definitely alter the path to diabetes by making these lifestyle changes.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes too. 2 of my sisters have developed type 2 diabetes and my mom died from complications from type 2 diabetes. I have made many changes over the past 2 months as I take this diagnosis very seriously. Hoping my efforts will pay off. Scary disease.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The success stories forum has lots of posts from people who have successfully reversed their pre-diabetic status, by losing weight and exercising. It's doable - go get it OP!
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Live, Super Immunity by Dr.Joel Fuhrman... He will also be on Dr. Oz this Monday to discuss a new way of eating for life. I am doing Eat to Live and am loving it! Good luck in reversing or keeping your diabetes at bay!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Things to know about type 2 diabetes - and diabetes in general!

1) it is a genetic disease that makes you insulin resistant and predisposed to abnormal glucose metabolism and weight gain.

2) Decreasing your carb intake and increasing your activity can help decrease the effects BUT it will not change your genetic make up.

3) You are NEVER CURED - but you can decrease the long term health conequences with diet and increased activity.

4)You did not get type 2 diabetes because you are a lazy fat slob- it is your genetic heratage.

5) Weight gain is caused by geneticly altered carbohydrate metaboism which leads to the symptoms.

6) if you know you are geneticaly at risk, then limiting carbs of all kinds and staying active can help keep long term consequences from developing. Constant BG moitering before and after meals is esential to good managment.

7) Each person with a type 2 needs to test their blood glucose levels to see how each type of food effects them personally. If your BG reaading runs too high following a meal then you need to adjust the number and kinds of carbs in the meal in the future.

6) There is no such thing as prediabetets. Its like being a little bit pregnant. --- Your diabetic or your not - if you have the genetic heratage for T2 then lifestyle changes now will save you health. You are not predestined to loose you sight, limbs, kidney funtion etc.

Also and the is HUGE just because you are NOT a child does NOT mean you can not be an Antibody positive type 1 diabetic. The therapies are VERY DIFFERENT and can be the difference between life/death and major preventable comlications.

I was misdiagnosed as a T2 by age only at 60 years. Was in diabetic ketoacidosis with a BG of 485, was fit, active and normal weiight. Was in fact an adult onset antibody positive type 1 diabetic who needed insulin to survive but I was sent out of ER with metforman and instructions to diet and exercise because it was the ERs standard operating procedure. I would be dead now if I did not do my online research and arm twisted my PMD to do the full workup. C-peptide, ICA, GADA, IA2A and Zink transporter 8 antibodies.

More than 50% of new type 1 diabetics are diagnosed as adults not as children but most primary physicians are not aware. If you are misdiagnosed as a type 2 then the probability of long term complications by time of recognition of true diagnosis is huge. Also be aware that in adults Type 1 can have a slow gradual onst rather than the accute onset seen in children - another reason for the misdiagnosis.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    I found the Newcastle study very helpful. The study contends that Type 2 is caused by excess fat in liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat. I have successfully reversed my diabetes inasmuch as I have been instructed to stop medicating.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in August 2012 with an hba1c of 10+, and began losing weight using MFP. It took me six months to drop 10% of body weight, by which time my hba1c had improved sufficiently for my GP to give me license to experiment with reducing metformin. I was originally prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily.

It took me another year to hit 20% of body weight lost. By this time my hba1c had been 4.9 for two tests running (three months apart) and I was only taking a single 500 mg tablet every other day. I was instructed to stop medicating altogether. This week I did my first hba1c following three months without medication. Hoping the results are still good.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Having had type 2 diabetes for the last 22 years (was up to 170 units of insulin 5 years ago) and now being totally off insulin (since Oct 2011) and my blood sugars (A1C's) averaging in the 5's ....some say I am "cured".
    I have a very hard time saying I am "cured" from diabetes. I say my diabetes is controlled for I know I have a genetic predisposition to this disease.

The diet they speak of; of 3 shakes and one healthy meal is the exact diet I was put on that I had lost 200 pounds in 9 months and eliminated my dependency on injections of insulin. The diet works no doubt. But the mental/behavioral work, exercise and change of eating habits have to be a lifetime commitment to remain that way.

All the best in your journey to find what works for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    4)You did not get type 2 diabetes because you are a lazy fat slob- it is your genetic heratage.
    It's not one extreme or the other. Just because someone has genetic factors making it easier for them to end up with diabetes does not mean they aren't a lazy fat slob.
    Check out Eat to Live, Super Immunity by Dr.Joel Fuhrman... He will also be on Dr. Oz this Monday
    NO :angry:
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would not say cured
    but controlled is a better way of putting it
    I was diagnosed December 2 2013
    through diet and exercise I have gotten my numbers down considerably
    they are in the normal range
    but this does not mean I can go back to old habits
    to prevent the complications of my genetic heritage
    I will have to eat healthy and exercise
    and eventually I might still end up with diabetes that will need meds
    BUT
    through diet and exercise I am increasing my quality of life
    and
    extending my life
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It's not one extreme or the other. Just because someone has genetic factors making it easier for them to end up with diabetes does not mean they aren't a lazy fat slob.

The point I was trying to make was that T2 is a genetic disease.

Yes any one can be a fat lazy slob, but you will not automatically become a T2 diabetic if you are.

The media hype about T2 is that you are a T2 diabetic because you are a personal failure rather than it is you genetic heratage that you can not control.
    You have impared metabolism due to your genes. It is the impared metabolism that makes you fat not necesarily over eating and lack of activity. The insulin resistance comes before the weight gain not as a result of it!

Blaiming diabetics for thier disease and limiting treatment because it is suposedly a personal failure does not help solve the problem.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would not say cured
    but controlled is a better way of putting it
    I was diagnosed December 2 2013
    through diet and exercise I have gotten my numbers down considerably
    they are in the normal range
    but this does not mean I can go back to old habits
    to prevent the complications of my genetic heritage
    I will have to eat healthy and exercise
    and eventually I might still end up with diabetes that will need meds
    BUT
    through diet and exercise I am increasing my quality of life
    and
    extending my life

this! i've got a horrific amount of t2 in my family, and i'm hoping i can stave it off till i'm old. if i get it when i'm 80, well thats not as bad as say, getting it in my 30's. the longer one lives with it the higher the chances are of those nasty complications.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was told im pre diabetic and can try to keep it at bay by changing my diet and exercising as if i have already got full blown type 2, but that i will no doubt have diabetes type 2 in the near future because of family history...

Thankfully having a genetic predisposition for diabetes is not a guarantee! But your being very mindful of that risk and taking steps to prevent it is admirable!

I also have a history of Type 2 diabetes in my immediate family, but I have yet to develop pre-diabetes. Admittedly, I was well on my way when I was morbidly obese. I am very thankful that I'm not currently at risk, and I'm forever vigilant about my diet & exercise because of that. I try very hard not to take my health for granted. And I get tested annually... just to keep an eye on things.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have heard that pre-diabetics or newly diabetic people can reverse type II with the loss of even 10% of their weight. Because my dad has diabetes, my mom and both my sisters had gestational diabetes for almost all of their combined pregnancies, and with my high fasting blood sugar and genetics, I'm predisposed to it. I tend to try to treat myself like I already have it in hopes of avoiding it, particularly as I'm likely giving my dad a kidney soon because his diabetes has wrecked his to the point of being unusable. I won't last long with diabetes on 1 kidney, so even though the glucose tolerance test they made me do came back fine, I'm just going to keep it in mind that it could be coming any time so I'd best be used to living like I have it now.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ...particularly as I'm likely giving my dad a kidney soon because his diabetes has wrecked his to the point of being unusable.

You are a kind, compassionate soul. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Things to know about type 2 diabetes - and diabetes in general!

1) it is a genetic disease that makes you insulin resistant and predisposed to abnormal glucose metabolism and weight gain.

2) Decreasing your carb intake and increasing your activity can help decrease the effects BUT it will not change your genetic make up.

3) You are NEVER CURED - but you can decrease the long term health conequences with diet and increased activity.

5) Weight gain is caused by geneticly altered carbohydrate metaboism which leads to the symptoms.

6) if you know you are geneticaly at risk, then limiting carbs of all kinds and staying active can help keep long term consequences from developing. Constant BG moitering before and after meals is esential to good managment.

7) Each person with a type 2 needs to test their blood glucose levels to see how each type of food effects them personally. If your BG reaading runs too high following a meal then you need to adjust the number and kinds of carbs in the meal in the future.

6) There is no such thing as prediabetets. Its like being a little bit pregnant. --- Your diabetic or your not - if you have the genetic heratage for T2 then lifestyle changes now will save you health. You are not predestined to loose you sight, limbs, kidney funtion etc.

Also and the is HUGE just because you are NOT a child does NOT mean you can not be an Antibody positive type 1 diabetic. The therapies are VERY DIFFERENT and can be the difference between life/death and major preventable comlications.

I was misdiagnosed as a T2 by age only at 60 years. Was in diabetic ketoacidosis with a BG of 485, was fit, active and normal weiight. Was in fact an adult onset antibody positive type 1 diabetic who needed insulin to survive but I was sent out of ER with metforman and instructions to diet and exercise because it was the ERs standard operating procedure. I would be dead now if I did not do my online research and arm twisted my PMD to do the full workup. C-peptide, ICA, GADA, IA2A and Zink transporter 8 antibodies.

More than 50% of new type 1 diabetics are diagnosed as adults not as children but most primary physicians are not aware. If you are misdiagnosed as a type 2 then the probability of long term complications by time of recognition of true diagnosis is huge. Also be aware that in adults Type 1 can have a slow gradual onst rather than the accute onset seen in children - another reason for the misdiagnosis.
    State your source. Half the crap you just spewed is BS.

1. It can be, but not always. No diabetes in my family and I've had it since I was 29 years old.

2. True, but BS on the "genetic makeup - See #1.

3. Yes you can be. Went I got down to 15% BF 3 years ago, I was no longer on meds, and both my fasting and A1C levels were normal.

4. Maybe not, but it's because I'm fat, and have high levels of visceral fat.

5. OK, whatever. Diabetics are special snowflakes.

6. No argument there.

7. This is extreme and more for Type 1s.

8. Yes there is such a thing; this happens when either your fasting number or your A1C comes back higher than normal. That's called being prediabetic, which means if you don't do something about it, you'll be diabetic very soon. If both numbers are above normal, then your diabetic.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    This is a really interesting discussion and I'm thrilled to hear from so many people who are actively changing their eating habits and getting more exercise to lose weight and improve your health. Thanks for sharing this research study, and it's one of many that are showing that making lifestyle changes as early as possible, even before an actual diagnosis of prediabetes for people with a strong family history, gives wonderful benefits in terms of delaying the onset of T2 for several years. This is another good reason why I encourage everyone in the family to follow the same healthy diet as the person with diabetes: it improves everyone's health. ~Lynn /Glucerna