The best Fitbit to buy?

Options
John31TL
John31TL Posts: 140 Member
Hi, more and people on here are raving about the fitbit. I realize they are different prices and types etc, anyone know which one is simply the best to get and why.

Cheers

John

Replies

• _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I myself prefer the fitbit ONE heres why. It has a clip that can either go in your pocket, or on your underwear, or on your hip. My wife puts hers in the center of her bra. The fitbits are pretty accurate. It recognizes when your walking up steps (one floor=10feet) yet it wont false log a floor if you were in an elevator. I'm very selective in what I wear on my wrists. A watch is about as far as I go because I work with chemicals (boat captain/ mechanic) and have already changed out two watch wrists bands due to fuel melting the rubber bands so A fitbit flex or any other wrist style it not acceptable. Also I don't like wrist style because it false logs if you are a "hand talker" my coworker and I were in a meeting and we laughed because while he was talking he logged 250 steps because he kept waving his hands around. If you get one feel free to add me my fitbit address is in my profile
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

It's all a matter of personal preference. Some people can't wear a bracelet at work, so the Flex is out. Others (like me) would launder a tracker clipped to their clothing.
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just got a Fitbit flex a couple of weeks ago and loving it. So my advice is get a pink one and give me the small band and I will swap you for a large blue band. You can't buy pink bands separately . Loving it, great weight loss tool.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    Well, the Force is out of the running now that it's been recalled, so that narrows things down a lot. I had the One and loved it. The only reason I switched to a Flex when those came out is that I often forgot to put my One on, and I lost it a couple of times. The Flex is water resistant so I wear it all the time, even in the shower. I just miss the graphic display on the One, as well as having it count flights of stairs, but that's outweighed by the fact that my Flex is literally always with me. I would recommend either one, depending on whether your need to always have it easily on hand is outweighed by your desire for the stairs and graphic display.
  • loveit001
    loveit001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new posting here but have been using a Fitbit One for a little over a month-- it works great! It also links up great with MFP. I'm not thinking that the sleep mode does much, but the rest is awesome!
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have my flex and I love it. The force was too large for me (my wrists are really tiny), and I don't want to clip something to myself. It is all a matter of preference.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the Force and it is awesome. You can probably get one on EBay. It really motivates me to walk 10,000 steps per day.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I bought a zip last year because I wasn't sure if I'd like the product. I have to admit it, I fell in love with it. The zip is the most basic model and comes in a variety of fun neon colors. If money is a concern then this would be the way to go since it is the cheapest of the Fitbit models.

I recently upgraded to the Flex and my husband upgraded to the One. I debated on the Force, but I am glad I didn't get that one since it has now been recalled. Out of the models currently available, the One has the most features. I'm actually debating switching my Flex for a One.

There are pro's and con's to each:
    Zip
    Pros:
    -fun colors
    -tiny
    -counts steps, distance, & calories
    -has a smiley face on it that grins real big when your active and sticks it's tongue out at you when your inactive
    Cons:
    -uses a watch battery that has to be replaced every couple months
    -doesn't track sleep
    -doesn't track stairs
    -not water proof (sweat proof yes, but can't be submerged in water)
    -doesn't have the feature to start an activity log before a workout
    - easy to lose/can end up in wash if you forget to take it off (my zip has been through the wash once and surprisingly enough survived)

One
    Pros:
    -tiny
    -counts steps, distance, stairs & calories
    - tracks sleep
    - can start activity logs before workouts (comes in handy for knowing the exact start time & duration)
    - has a flower on it that grows as you become more active
    - occasionally says silly things on the screen
    - rechargable battery
    Cons:
    - only 2 colors
    - not waterproof (sweat proof, but can't be submerged)
    - easy to lose/can end up in wash if you forget to take it off

Flex
    Pros:
    - worn on wrist
    - can be submerged up to 10 meters
    - counts steps, distance, & calories
    - can track sleep
    - can start activity logs before workouts
    - rechargeable
    Cons:
    - funny clasp that some people have reported randomly coming undone (causing them to lose it)
    - accuracy is lowered when pushing a shopping cart, stroller, ect
    - can't track stairs
    - pain to start activity/sleep logs (sometimes it's really easy and other times it just doesn't want to do it)
    - no display other than 5 dots that light up as you get closer to your goal
    - can be a dress code violation depending on where you work.

The reason I'm debating on switching is because the other day it only tracked half of my walk. For the first 30 mins of my walk it thought I wasn't moving at all. It's the first time I've noticed such a huge error. Since then I've been paying more attention to my activity logs and have noticed that for some of them my Flex didn't start detecting movement for 5-15 mins after I started. This to me is a pretty big problem. I know for a lot of people that would be enough to make them switch, but I love the fact that it's on my wrist and that it's waterproof to some extent.
    Just got a Fitbit flex a couple of weeks ago and loving it. So my advice is get a pink one and give me the small band and I will swap you for a large blue band. You can't buy pink bands separately . Loving it, great weight loss tool.
    You can buy a pink band directly from fitbit. They are $14.95 a piece.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Whatever one you chose, make sure you check the compatability with your phone, I found out the hard way that the flex doesnt worh with my older model smart phone
  • John31TL
    John31TL Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys, really found them useful, you're all stars.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the FitBit One. Since it's a small clip-on, it's easy to put anywhere. All of my family members who are FitBit users use the One. I have a couple friends with the wrist versions.

I started with the original FitBit which was a clip-on, then moved to the Ultra when it came out, and now I have the One. I just like that it's discreet and very accurate. Personally, I could never use a wrist model because I have sensitive skin and I itch whenever I have sweat that stays on my skin, but that's just a "me" thing.

Overall, there isn't a feature that FitBit has that isn't present on the One. All of the tracking features, syncing, alarms, etc. I used to complain about the case/clip being loose but when mine started coming apart, I bought a new case ($15 on their website) and the new one is designed much better than the original. I just got my fiance a One to replace his 2 year old Ultra that was starting to fall apart and his case was also the new design that's much more secure.
  • FreeSpirit1992
    Options
    Someone I work with wears her Flex to work and told me she really recommends it. I was looking into buying one already, but now I really want one.
  • digitz79
    digitz79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the One. I have had the Ultra, then the Flex, and now the One. I found the Flex was difficult to use at times and not as accurate as the Ultra I had been using previously. Eventually I fell victim to the irritation that many people have experienced with the Flex and the Force. I had them replace the Flex with the One and I love it. The accuracy is much better to me, it is easier to use, and no more irritation.
  • lzlsk
    lzlsk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whatever you go for, KEEP YOUR RECEIPT. I have a ONE and I lost it in a move. They sent me a brand new box (like I had just purchased it from the store). It happened to be a lemon so they sent me another box. Not everyone gets a lemon but it can happen. If you have a record of your payment through the site or amazon purchase history (which is what I used), they are so quick and fast about replacing your device. Now I have no shortage of accessories and the second replacement is up to par.

My original I had washed twice with no technical problems but the 1 year warranty covers that as well. I'm not the only one who has had amazing customer service from them. This is why I would stick with fitbit in general. Also fitbits connect to many apps and sites.
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you (the person purchasing) wants. I have a FitBit Ultra (found it on Amazon). I like it because it's a clip, and the clip is stronger than others, I've worn it on roller coasters, etc with no issues of falling off. I chose the Ultra because of the display and the clip. I realized while doing my research into trackers, that one of the things I must have was a display (so this ruled out the Flex for me). I like being able to track my progress throughout the day by pressing a button, I feel it keeps me motivated.

Lately though, I have been looking into wrist wearables again because the only downfall I have found in my FitBit is the fact that I keep forgetting to put it on/change it to another pair of pants/bra/shirt, etc when getting out of the shower. I think I may go with the Vivofit because of the large display. It's getting harder and harder for me to read the output on my fitbit because the numbers/information is so small.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and I've been wearing it for about a month and half now. I debated the Flex but heard that many people were losing them and I need to the display to check in on to keep me motivated. The One tracks sleep, but I don't need a tracker to tell me I don't get enough sleep! lol
    The Zip is a cheaper option and does everything I need it to do. I LOVE it and I'm happy with my choice.