breathing while running

Options
Hello. I am overweight and can do certain cardio activities with ease (elliptical, arc trainer) but find running to be extremely difficult for me. I think the main issue is I don't think I'm breathing correctly. I breathe through my mouth while running and it causes my throat to hurt and I feel like I get winded faster. I started a c25k training app and want to run a full 5k later this spring. I guess my question is, is there a way to change my breathing pattern while running? Or, what is the best way to breathe while running?

P.S. If you have an extremely smart *kitten* comment, please keep it to yourself.

Replies

• hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to breathe in and out through my mouth nowadays. When I was younger my soccer coach told me to breathe in through my nose for 2 beats/steps, then out through my mouth for 2 beats/steps. That's just too much concentration for me during a run. And your nose gets just as cold/dry from it. I finished c25k last summer and just slowed down my pace when I got winded easily.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am overweight and can do certain cardio activities with ease (elliptical, arc trainer) but find running to be extremely difficult for me. I think the main issue is I don't think I'm breathing correctly. I breathe through my mouth while running and it causes my throat to hurt and I feel like I get winded faster. I started a c25k training app and want to run a full 5k later this spring. I guess my question is, is there a way to change my breathing pattern while running? Or, what is the best way to breathe while running?

P.S. If you have an extremely smart *kitten* comment, please keep it to yourself.
    MOUTH BREATHER!!!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I live in a high humidity region, so Ive had to focus more on breathing while running - as I start up I take really deep breaths - in through my nose, out through my mouth. Starting off with a focus on breathing has made a positive impact on my overall running. Its simple, but seems to work.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I might have had an answer...

...but

...so best of luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Running is hard. It just is. It's not the same as the elliptical. I was under the illusion when I started that because I could use the elliptical with ease that running would be a breeze. HAH! Stick with it, it will get easier.

I feel the need to put in something smart *kitten*, but I can't think of something myself. So, I'm going to steal the previous poster's: MOUTH BREATHER!!!!

**I admit it, sometimes I breathe from my mouth. Even while running. That's not the issue, you just need to get in better shape. Elliptical shape =/= running shape. Sorries.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So speaking as someone who HATES running, it's hard. If your body is not used to it and your mind isnt used to it, it will just hurt more and be harder than other means of cardio. That will just take time to get used to.

Now for breathing I'm sure there is a right way, but what feels most comfortable for me is through my mouth. I pace my breathing off of my strides.. so for an example when I jog I breath in two steps, breath out two steps. My breathing sets a good rythem, and I find when I focus on that rythm I also tend to run longer.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    MOUTH BREATHER!!!

ab1acd5e-2f91-42df-aec9-6694541c24ca_zps90b31445.jpg
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Runners breathe in through their noses, out thru the mouth. I've been running races since I was 6 years old, and trained as a runner. When you're training, they teach you in thru the nose out thru the mouth. Sometimes I do in and out thru the nose, but I always have my mouth closed when I'm running generally.

It takes practice, but you'll get it
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be trying to run too fast to soon. Slow down and don't worry about pace (even if its slower than your walk) you should be able to hold a conversation. Speed and pace will come in time Good luck
  • seleniumbaby
    Options
    Hi! The breathing method I have used for several years now is in 3 beats through the nose, out 2 beats through the mouth. That way, you are 1) taking in lots of oxygen and 2) alternating which foot lands on which breath (inhaling or exhaling). It also helps you regulate your breathing so you don't breathe too fast. It might seem awkward at first, but I recommend (as an amateur, not an expert, of course) trying it out because it has really helped my running personally.

Again I'm not an expert, these are just my thoughts on the subject. :)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You likely need to slow your running down a bit. I have been a runner for longer than I have not . I was taught that to breathe through a cramp required slowing down a little bit, breathing in my nose and out my mouth. It took some practice but over a few runs I just was able to breathe that way.

When I took up swimming, I struggled A LOT. I could not figure the breathing out. I had to slow down. When I slowed my stroke down I was able to find my rhythm. Now that I have a rhythm I am working on my speed.

Be patient.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    MOUTH BREATHER!!!

[img][/img]ab1acd5e-2f91-42df-aec9-6694541c24ca_zps90b31445.jpg

FIFY, well, sort of.

Change the letters in and to lowercase for them to show in MFP.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Elliptical will make you better at the elliptical, and same for Arc Trainer. Neither will help your run as much as running. I'd recommend running slower and breathing naturally from your belly. Don't labor/force your breathing. Just keep it natural. And run slower.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think you are running too fast if you are struggling with your breathing, slow down. yes it will feel like a total waste of time but you need to slow down and get control of the breathing or you will never progress. I personally breathe in and out through my mouth as my nose gets runny when I run. I breathe in for 2 steps, out for 2 steps.
  • nik_nak_1983
    Options
    I am useless at running, really bad but I am persevering, on day you sill go out and it will jut work...the pace you're going at will match your breathing and you will just be flying, honestly keep at it is hard work no getting round it, good luck to you x
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I think you are running too fast if you are struggling with your breathing, slow down. yes it will feel like a total waste of time but you need to slow down and get control of the breathing or you will never progress

^this.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just slow down, a lot. Who cares how fast you are as long as you put in the miles.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your lung capacity will expand the more you do it and it will get easier. Keep in mind the benefits too, it will help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1224041-breathe-through-your-nose
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think you are running too fast if you are struggling with your breathing, slow down. yes it will feel like a total waste of time but you need to slow down and get control of the breathing or you will never progress

^this.

+10