Running my first half this Saturday...calorie question

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
Runners, advice please!

I am running my first half on Saturday. I am currently at a 500-800 calorie deficit, aiming for 1-1.5 lb/week loss. Would it be a good idea to eat at or much closer to maintenance this week?

Replies

• dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm running my first half on April 6 and I'm wondering the same thing.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    My answer would be yes but to also follow the same routine you did for your previous long runs. I was never in a deficit for any of my 1/2's or the training. I would assume you've ran 10+ miles already in training. What was your cals like then leading up to it and how did you feel during and after, how was recovery? This should help you determine if you need more.
  • JTick
    Options
    My answer would be yes but to also follow the same routine you did for your previous long runs. I was never in a deficit for any of my 1/2's or the training. I would assume you've ran 10+ miles already in training. What was your cals like then leading up to it and how did you feel during and after, how was recovery? This should help you determine if you need more.

My long runs have been a little rough. My longest was 11.5, and it was a bit of a struggle. I'm eating 1950 right now every day (TDEE-%) I'm thinking increasing my calories at least 200-300 would probably help some...it's a long ways to go on a deficit. I'm thinking that keeping my food choices the same but just eating a bit more of them might be helpful, but of course I have no experience to speak of for long races.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

My long runs have been a little rough. My longest was 11.5, and it was a bit of a struggle. I'm eating 1950 right now every day (TDEE-%) I'm thinking increasing my calories at least 200-300 would probably help some...it's a long ways to go on a deficit. I'm thinking that keeping my food choices the same but just eating a bit more of them might be helpful, but of course I have no experience to speak of for long races.

Think that's very wise and a great idea. Definitely keep the foods the same; the worst time to try something new is around race time. I think the extra fuel will help you. Good luck!
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    Depends whether you want to just get round in which case it doesnt matter what you eat you could run a half fasted quite comfortably.

If you want to run at your limit then you need to fuel yourself a bit more the day or so before, I would suggest eatin close to maintanence Thursday, eat roughly 300-500 over maintanence on Friday and eat say 500/600 calories for breakfast Saturday. This will give you plenty of stored energy to get you through a half (no point eating more or for much longer before your body only has a limit to the amount of energy it can store in your muscles)

You will not add fat by doing this dont worry about ruining your progress, you will burn 1200+ calories in the race
  • JTick
    Options
    Thank you both for the help. I'm certainly not worried about ruining any progress this week...I just want to get through this race to the best of my abilities, and then look towards more weight loss.
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you both for the help. I'm certainly not worried about ruining any progress this week...I just want to get through this race to the best of my abilities, and then look towards more weight loss.

Thats good (I used to worry I would) but now I use the day before as a treat day. Honestly I think its more of a psychological thing, as I said your body has a limit to what it can store.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat close to maintenance for 2 days leading up to the race, and eat the same breakfast you have been for training! Congrats on your first 1/2! The adrenaline of race day will help carry you through until the finish line!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Have fun!

I'm running my first half in June so this was a great question.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would eat "safe" foods the night before so you don't wake up starving. My night before can include a banana, bowl of oatmeal, yogurt, and a bagel or similar, and sip an electrolyte all during the day. In the morning, a banana and some toast and a swig of water/electrolyte. For training though, I would probably not do anything out of the ordinary. Don't be eating at the Chinese buffet the night before or trying that new Mexican place. Stay away from high fat stuff and hard to digest food like red meat. One weekend ain't gonna kill you - you will sweat off a pound or two of water anyway.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Runners, advice please!

I am running my first half on Saturday. I am currently at a 500-800 calorie deficit, aiming for 1-1.5 lb/week loss. Would it be a good idea to eat at or much closer to maintenance this week?

you should be fine to eat at maintenance a couple days before your race
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    For me, when it's race day all I'm focused on is "fueling", not "dieting". All the maintenance, and deficit, and all that good stuff will just have to wait till the morning. This is race day. And making sure I've got the fuel I need to race my best race takes precedence. The right fuel before, during, and after.

Now. Once race day's come and gone, then you know. I can reassess the situation and get back to my regularly scheduled meal plan.

Good luck with your half marathon. They're magic. You'll enjoy yourself.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Ditto on not changing what you eat you eat, even within a couple of weeks before the race.

My personal experience has been I prefer to gain a pound or two the couple of weeks before a race. My best time improvements happened when tI did this. Don't know if there is a cause and effect factor but it has worked for me.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    and remember to refuel for the 2 days AFTER the 1/2. Your muscles will need calories to repair as well!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the advice to eat at least maintenance calories if your goal in this race is performance. You need to FUEL your body!

After the race, I would personally go back to your usual number of calories but with plenty of protein. Although I do always splurge on a nice post-race meal! Burrito is my favorite re-fuel - rice to refill glycogen stores & protein for my muscles.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    After the race, I would personally go back to your usual number of calories but with plenty of protein. Although I do always splurge on a nice post-race meal! Burrito is my favorite re-fuel - rice to refill glycogen stores & protein for my muscles.

Also do the burrito thing after a race. Locally La Juanitas makes a great burrito and if I'm racing out of town will take a couple with me just for this reason.

I usually don't worry about calories after the race, even the day after sometimes, sort of a reward, though I don't usually eat a ton because I'm not that hungry after a long run for quite a while. I do watch the quality of the food though.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question! I'm running my 2nd 1/2 on Saturday, and I'm losing weight despite eating about 2500 calories/day. But, I also run and swim. I've been considering trying to eat a little more leading up to the race, and DH says I shouldn't swim this week, but I love swimming, so I'll probably still do it anyway.

I don't know what your pace is or what the course looks like, but, as others have said, you'll burn 1300+ calories (at 125 lbs, I burn about 100 cal/mile at a 7.5 mph pace), so I'd be concerned with fueling your body with complex carbs and worrying less about the deficit for the week. Best of luck to you!
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I just wanted to say that I'm definitely not an expert, but I did my first half last weekend, and I'm so jealous that you get to have your first half experience soon! It was amazing!

I wondered the same thing, and I got a lot of the same answers. While I know that everyone is different, for me, I wish that I hadn't changed my diet. I ate at/above maintenance for the two days before the race, and tried to make sure I took in plenty of carbs. I didn't "carbo load" per se, but I did increase my carbs and overall food intake.

For my shake out runs, I noticed that I was more lethargic and just generally felt bloated. The morning of the race, I also felt bloated and just kind of.... heavy, if that makes sense. I finished strong (for me) and luckily didn't have any stomach issues, but I would definitely be careful about changing your diet too drastically right before your race! If your diet was working fine in training, it would probably be fine at the race too.

Like I said, just my experience - have a WONDERFUL TIME, and good luck!!