Experiencing Sugar and Fat Withdrawal: CRISIS MODE!

Options
13»

Replies

• AmplifiedHeart
    Options
    Sugar is super addicting and is in most of the foods in the grocery store aisles. Try to stick to the natural sugars found in fruits and agave, and those pesky white sugar cravings will go away.

:heart:

White sugar is natural. Sugar beets and sugar cane.

White sugar is highly refined...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be just as addicting as drugs. Don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise.

Bull. Spit. You've obviously never been addicted to or known anyone who was addicted to drugs. You owe them all an apology.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Some people do NOT understand because they do not have your issue. Its like depression. People that have never had it, just don't understand it. Its ok. They cannot be held accountable for things they have never experienced or understand. Don't pay any attention to the ones who are hatin.

There is a saying: It is better to remain quiet and be thought A fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. :laugh:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I've tried the full abstinence approach (in 2012 when I tried that strict paleo thing for a full year). Yeah, my cravings for certain foods diminished *for a while*. I think it helped my compliance that I was eating at a surplus during that time. I also think that a return of those cravings is inevitable.

When I went back to non-paleo, it took me a while to regain my self control...but the more I tried it, the better I got at it. I came to the conclusion that self control is a skill that can be improved by practicing it...or at the very least, a habit that I could improve.

It seems to me that very few people have found the solution to their cravings in full abstinence for a period longer than a few months. Yeah, there are some who have gone years, but I believe these people have will power that would have allowed them to succeed without abstinence from these foods. (The non-food stories of many of these people are really interesting and IMHO demonstrate this will power I'm referring to.)

TL;DR - perhaps those who say they don't have the will power don't have it because they haven't practiced/developed it.

I will agree that many people who blame addiction or whatever are people who are still in the blame phase of things. That being said, I have personal experience with compulsive eating disorder. While afterwards, you may feel disgusted with yourself or even purge (thus stemming to bulimia), there are cases of blind consumption... of course, this is not special to food, though. Generally speaking, I don't allow for excuses.

I do think it's important to recognize that both over-consumption and over-restriction can be compulsive behaviors that are literally not subject to rational thought. While I don't think that's the case here... It's hard to explain the schism in the psyche that comes with it. I'm still trying to find the right words for myself!
  • Quasita
    Options
    Sugar can be just as addicting as drugs. Don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise.

Bull. Spit. You've obviously never been addicted to or known anyone who was addicted to drugs. You owe them all an apology.

This is not actually bull, there is scientific proof of addiction cycles related to sugar. It can directly impact the production and absorption of neurotransmitters in the brain, and these chemicals are the same as those released during drug use, nicotine consumption, and sex.

That being said, there's also a biological need that is necessitated by consumption of high sugar foods. They spike insulin production, which in turn can bottom out the blood sugar level. This sudden drop in blood glucose can trigger a sense of intense urgency to supply sugar to the body in a self-preservation type of response. This physiological response is why artificial sweeteners can cause sugar cravings, and are often the cause for repetitive consumption. Now, it's been proven that you can stop this by eating a high sugar, low glycemic index food like fruit, but someone with a candy bar stash is probably not going to turn to the apple for a sugar fix. As they say, over consumption can trigger "addiction-like" behavior, which can indeed get out of control.

Yes, both of these situations require the initial choice to consume the sugar/fat, but such is the same with drug addiction. I'm not making excuses, and I'm not equating the severity. However, our bodies can become addicted to all sorts of things, and those things don't have to ruin our lives to be serious.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Some people do NOT understand because they do not have your issue. Its like depression. People that have never had it, just don't understand it. Its ok. They cannot be held accountable for things they have never experienced or understand. Don't pay any attention to the ones who are hatin.

There is a saying: It is better to remain quiet and be thought A fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. :laugh:

Interesting that dissent (or even questioning a conclusion) is "hatin" in your eyes.

Perhaps you should have considered heeding the saying you provided.

Just a thought.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh really NO SUGAR at all, no fruit, no sweet potatoes, no bread etc.

I doubt this. :noway:
    [/quote]

Sorry, should have clarified, no added/refined sugars. I also eliminated white/bleached flour. I started with South Beach Phase 1. Complete 2 week detox and followed the next phases that slowly reintroduced the natural sugars in fruits, dairy, etc. .

Comparing one addiction to another is just dumb, not at all helpful but denying that sugar is physically addictive is just incorrect. Each person is different just like not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. Some don't want it, some have a problem that needs to be managed but are not addicted and some are just plan addicted.

I thought this was a "motivation and support" topic. That's all I was/am trying to offer.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I gave in and binged. Feel bad now. Tomorrow is a new day. Argh. :*(
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Is 1800 net too much of a deficit?

Again I'll ask.

You might find yourself less likely to binge if you bump up your daily calories. Even though I'm in the middle of a fairly aggressive cut, bumping my net calories from 1971 to 2100 made a noticeable difference in my attitude/compliance/hunger/life.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been back on track for a couple of days. So far, I have felt alright. Right now, I am craving pizza and chocolate chip cookies and if I don't get them soon I AM GOING TO TEAR OUT MY HAIR AND BECOME A SPITTING, RAVING LUNATIC. If I go near the stuff, I will binge. One cookie or one slice of pizza will not cut it. This is agony. I have done lost over 70 pounds in the past with MFP and I know the first two weeks are the hardest. I just forgot how hard.

Don't know how this thread devolved into yet another "sugar is addictive no it's not you owe all addicts an apology" thread as the OP never said he was addicted to anything.

OP, cravings can be beaten. If you are like me and know you can't control yourself when your trigger foods are near then get away from them ASAP! Throw them in the bin and moosh them up with the veggie scraps so you aren't tempted to pick them back out of the bin (yes, I've done this). Do whatever you have to to get through the first few weeks. If you start thinking about pizza and chocolate chip cookies then go for a run or do something that takes your mind off them until the cravings pass.
  • briebab23
    Options
    Go eat healthy sugars.. like fruit or something. Here is a chart

http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/
  • cshulga
    cshulga Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm going through this as we speak right now as well lol It's terrible... I want to go to bulk barn and binge on candy so badly. I won't allow myself to, but man is it ever hard!

Stay strong brother! lol
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I gave in and binged. Feel bad now. Tomorrow is a new day. Argh. :*(

You be aright.
  • gigila72
    gigila72 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow- this man just was looking for support and some individuals had to make it into a battle about what is an addiction and what is not. That's to too bad.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    OP, tomorrow is another day. Nobody ever died from one day of indulging in pizza and cookies.

Personally, I've learned to have a decent amount of respect for both my desires and my limitations. I haven't removed anything from my diet, but whenever my brain says "if you get X, you'll binge" chances are that it's right so I'll avoid X on that day.

Very often, I will eat something that gives me a similar taste experience on that day (for instance, a grilled ham and cheese would be good for me for a pizza craving) and make sure to treat myself to the real deal on a day soon when I have the calories and all sides of my brain are on board with the idea.

Good luck. Also, try not to freak out so much. Anxiety sets you right up for a binge, emotionally.
    Wow- this man just was looking for support and some individuals had to make it into a battle about what is an addiction and what is not. That's to too bad.
    The word "sugar" must never be uttered within the halls of MFP, lest it summon a demon from Hell.

It's not a very dangerous demon, it will mostly just chase its own tail to be honest, but it's still pretty annoying.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Go eat healthy sugars.. like fruit or something. Here is a chart

http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

*head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk*
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I hate these addiction threads with the fire of a million suns.

A thousand times this. I will never be convinced that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine. You don't see people living on the street corner waiting for their next hit of a Snickers.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

A thousand times this. I will never be convinced that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine. You don't see people living on the street corner waiting for their next hit of a Snickers.

Maybe not a snickers but Nutella is a different story, ha!

tumblr_m6lyozTvGI1qexljco1_500.jpg
  • Quasita
    Options

Well, sugar is a lot cheaper than cocaine, so even if physiologically it is just as addictive, you're not going to see the same life impact. People end up on the street because a bump of coke costs more than a pound of sugar *shrugs* Chemical reaction and life impact are two very different things.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I relate, I go up and down with my eating too. I exercise enough that if I could get my eating in line, I would have been at goal weight along time ago. Because I don't like to tell strangers what to do, I'll keep it about me.

The first issue I have is I don't log 100% of the time, for different reasons. It's usually because I have thrown the towel in on self control for the day, and I don't want to know how much I am eating. Taking the time to pause and log my food really helps me to evaluate if I really want to eat it.

Also, sometimes I wait too long to eat, and making something healthy seems equivalent to climbing Everest, but look! Chocolate Cake! Ready to eat! I would say this is actually the majority of my issue. Having yummy Progresso Soups on hand helps a lot. And not the diet ones, but the full calorie ones, with a microwaved sweet potato diced and thrown in. I like the Chicken Corn Chowder with a sweet potato, YUM.

Which brings me to my next point. Ultimately, I can be eating the most pristine diet, but if it doesn't satisfy me, it ain't working. I had a Rueben sandwich the other day that fit into my calories, and it was a spiritual experience. But I planned it out.

TLDR: I do the best when I log, plan my day out, make room for delicious food, and take it easy on myself. If stress is a trigger for me, it won't do me any favors to constantly belittle myself.