Which is healthier?

I typically eat my largest meal of the day at breakfast. I'm curious to see which of these two breakfast options are healthier for me in terms of losing body fat. The overnight oats are a bit more calories but I just fit them into my overall for the day.

Overnight Oats
3/4 c old fashioned oats
1 c unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1/2 banana
1 scoop choc whey
*155 Calories

Protein Waffle
1 egg
1 scoop choc whey
1/2 banana
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons PB2
*467 Calories

Replies

• Cmejstrik
    Cmejstrik Posts: 25 Member
    There is no way the oats are 155 calories. Way more in just the oats, never mind the whey, peanut butter, and banana.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    There is no way the oats are 155 calories. Way more in just the oats, never mind the whey, peanut butter, and banana.

My apologies. 555*
  • Oats. They're probably one of the most healthiest breakfast options around.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I love overnight oats!!
    your recipe sounds yummy!
    I usually eat them for lunch though
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Hope you were not looking for a straight "option A or B" answer... LOL! Here is a set of video's on basic food information that will help you structure your calories and macros. This goes along with the IIFYM train of thought. Video quality leaves something to be desired, but information is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk&list=PLnPAPdT4m_g_jts_h2xcr2MFzW5uwJ2uP

Cheers!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I would go for option 1, but more because I like it.

You can have the answer much easier by putting all the ingredients into myfitnesspal and then check on micros, macros and vitamins.

Stef.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Hard to say without knowing the other macros and what your goals are.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    the question itself is flawed
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    There is no 'miracle breakfast' that will help you lose body fat, your question is wrong.
    Just switch up your breakfast every now and then, depending on what you feel like.

It's about calorie deficit in total, and for lowering BF% and upping muscle mass, I would suggest at least 100 grams of protein and weight training.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    They're both healthy, so eat the one that tastes better. Or alternate between the two for variety. Or eat any nutritionally balanced breakfast you feel like.

Just log the calories and stay within your calories for the day.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    I'd go for oatmeal personally because it's the only breakfast that keeps me satisfied until lunch.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    I heard somewhere in the forums that all you need is to eat a Vegan breakfast and jump on a mini trampoline for 10 minutes, 4 days in a row. You increase LBM and lose up to 40 pounds, so I guess you can eat what you like as long as you swing by Walmart and pick up a mini trampoline... :laugh:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Overall, i vote on the oats; it excludes the egg.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    I do the oats because its delicious, but I make mine
    half cup of oats, one serve chobani yogurt (high protein) half cup milk, 50g berries.

Fasted cardio every day half to one hour before breakfast

My latest trick, I am trying *bullet proof coffee*. I found it on the forums here. Coffee for breakfast with coconut oil and butter, no milk or sugar/no carb. Supposed to keep you in the "fasted" state, and not hungry during the morning. I tried it for 2 days, surprisingly it tastes ok and I don't feel hungry at all. Porridge is now lunch. Not sure how it will work out long term but Im willing to try for a couple of weeks. Only trouble is I have a smaller window to eat my pre planned carefully balanced meals!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    They both seem kind of eww. Why not just eat normal every day food? There is nothing magical about any of the ingredients in either.

And to the other poster..if you consumed calories, you aren't fasted are you?