Am I ready for p90x?

Options
Hi everyone :) I started out weighing 260 lbs a year or so ago, now I'm sitting at 160. I only have 15-20 lbs left to lose and I was wondering if doing p90x would help me work off that extra weight and tone up? I think 90 days is a fair amount of time to lose that last bit of weight but I also want to build some muscle.

My issues right now is that I'm all flabby and stuff because of my weight loss, and I want to tighten up. I'm 23 years old, I exercise 5-6 times a week for at least 60 minutes, I consume around 1600 calories a day, and I'm 5'6" with a small build. My measurements are 38-29-38, and I'd like to take that down by 3-4 inches around the board. Do you think it's an appropriate time to start p90x/will I get results from it or should I wait until I only have 5-10 lbs to lose (as the wise internet suggests)?

I know I'm capable of doing the program, but I'm more concerned about getting rid of my "dumbo wings" and winkly belly and I feel like my current workouts, however strenuous, don't cut the mustard. For some reason my legs/butt look fine after weight loss but everything else...not so much. Thanks, I hope to get some good advice! :D<3

Replies

• RomulanWarbird
    Options
    ~bump~
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started p90x at 200lbs, and at the end of the 3 month programme I was 170lbs. Diet is everything, I tried to follow it as instructed as closely as my limited finances would allow. Each time you workout, go literally flat out as hard as you can. At the end you will look and feel better than ever before. Good luck
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Thank you! I wonder if I can supplement a lot of the proteins with protein shakes. I don't eat much meat (it's so expensive to buy the non-hormone kinds).
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    "Ha ha, only if she's 5'3"!"

I call P90X the hardest 3 weeks of your life (before you quit), hahaha. So many pull ups (You can use a chair and there are many variations of the movements) and overall a super strenuous workout with little breaks for most of the people doing it. If it's any consolation, now that you know most people who start it are overreaching then why not throw your hat in the ring.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do p90X, but a couple caveats:

1) Be aware of the time commitment before you buy this program. The time involved for p90X workouts if you follow the program. Day 1, 3, and 5 workouts will total about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Day 4's workout is 1 hour and 30 minutes. Days 2 and 6 will be right about 1 hour. If you choose to do the Day 7 workout, I believe it is 45 minutes (or you can rest on Day 7).

2) If you do not like resistance bands, this program requires quite a bit of equipment. I'd suggest at least 3-5 sets of hand weights, a pull-up bar, a yoga mat and a yoga block.

P90X is a great program, but I found the time commitment to be too much for me. Jillian Michaels has a 40 minute workout called "No More Trouble Zones" that sells for around $10. For me, this was a much better investment of both my time and money. You will still need some hand weights, 3 sets would be enough to start, but do not need any other equipment. I found it to be a super effective workout! Builds a great deal of muscle and definitely strengthened muscle in all my "trouble" areas! It is all strength training, so I did it 4-5 days per week and mixed in 2-3 days of cardio on my off days.

Best of luck whatever you decide!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. If you have to modify the movements to get through it so be it. Make sure to do the yoga even though a lot of people complain about it.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I've had p90x for a while. It was a gift :3 But I was never quite ready for it! I've tried some of the workouts and they kick my butt, but I get through them and I have plenty of time to do them, plus a little home gym. Just need the pull-up bar. And Mail- haha! I can do like 2 pull-ups. 2. I just want to increase that number so badly, I'm willing to give anything a shot. And maybe if I do it my boyfriend will start too. :)

Thank you for your feedback, it's really helpful. If I find that p90x requires too much time/equipment I'll definitely check out the Jillian Michaels, too. I like home workouts because over the summer I don't have access to the campus gym anymore. Which is dumb. >:c
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I loved P90X and YES you are ready for it. There are modifications to make it manageable. I did the program several times, you'll get out of it what you put in. Push yourself to get better and you will see results. I'm currently doing P90X3 and like it even better. It's 30 minutes, but more intense.
    Options
    That Ab ripper workout is pretty tough. I did a couple rounds of P90x and was never able to complete all those reps.
  • _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    As Tony Horton says "do your best and forget the rest" I started out at 251 (you can see in my pics) and dropper 35Lbs unfortunately I didn't finish 90 days straight but it wasnt due to me giving up. (work related travels in remote areas) I still use the disks as a maintainer they really work me, still get doms, and can feel my body changing consistently. Good luck to you bailing aint failing as long as you hit play the next day!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I did P90X without all the equipment. I made my own modifications using free weights to work the same muscle groups when they did the pull ups. I didnt follow the diet plan and really didnt lose much weight but I did tone up quite a bit and lost 5 inches overall in the first 30 days. It is an excellent program to build strength and tone up. LIke someone else said if you have a hard time fitting in the workouts and can afford it the new P90X3 is great at only 30 minute workouts.
    Options
    Ideally I would recommend if you can, to do a hybrid workout. On the weight training days go to a gym and lifts weights (especially on leg day). Do the rest at home. If you don't have access to a gym then do as is, since it still is pretty good.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I would have said P90X3, only 30 minutes a day, but you own P90X so why not??? Or, like above, make it a hybrid with some weights.
    Congrats on the job well done so far!!!!!!!
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have not done P90X but I have done P90X3. I did not finish the program because I switched over to a different program. To be honest the workouts were great but Tony's jokes got annoying. I did notice a lot of toning in that month. It will definitely get the job done and the added muscle will help you metabolize more calories to lose that last 15 lbs. Good luck.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    PS I didnt have a pull up bar when I started but I picked up a cheap one off ebay for under $20. Do as many pull ups as you can unassisted and then either get a pull up assist band or you can use a chair. You will increase the number of unassisted pullups pretty quick.
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkuK3mMowM

You tube workout: Jillian Michael's "No More Trouble Zones".
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm excited to get started. If I have any issues with the workouts as far as time constraints go, I will definitely check out the Jillian Michaels and P90X3. Unfortunately I will only have gym access till May 1st and I won't be able to go back till August, so that's why I'm insisting on a home program and won't be able to do hybrid training very long (plus I have weights, a step, a resistance band, medicine balls mats...etc.) :D
    Options
    I just tried ab ripper today again. Its been a long time. That was really really tough.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do your best and forget the rest.

P90X is an amazing program ...it's not easy but..like Tony says....press pause button..they'll be there when you'll come back.
    Going at your speed and doing what you can is still good enough and will give you plenty of results...you will also get better each week etc...

Yes, you can do it.
    Options
    The one thing that I hate about the ab work out though is that it really hits your hip flexors too much. I noticed in P90X2 they changed it so that it does not do that.