Am I cheating??

Options
2»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I do the same kind of thing...and with exercise also....and like last Sunday I splurged bc I had extra calories from the whole week! I don't think its cheating!

I'm exactly the same! When I'm on night shifts I'm sometime having lunch at 1am! So I tend to look at my weekly deficit, and just use my daily calories to make sure I'm on the right track!

And I don't think there is anything wrong with fitting some ice-cream into your day as long as you hit your calorie target! I save up a few calories for a glass of red wine a few nights a week, am still losing weight and don't feel like I'm missing out on the things I love! :drinker:

I never thought about looking at it weekly until I recently seen posts about it - I honestly relate to the shift work thing and pretty much found it harder to meet my calorie goals on night shifts - especially coming off nights into my days off - my first day off I could have literally been satsified with about half my calorie goal (due to when I would wake up and when I would eat my first meal for that day). I was eating when I wasn't hungry just in to meet my goal.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Personally I see sleep as the point the day changes, not midnight, but YMMV. Actually it really annoys me that if I'm doing active stuff after midnight but before sleep then I can't tell my Fitbit to add it to the previous day and to use sleep as the reset point.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    The term "cheating" relates to that old diet mentality where certain things were considered "fattening" and therefore to be avoided. In the new age of moderation, its is really A-okay to have ice cream and any other food you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

This. And the comment about demonizing food. Exactly.

I would love to see the word "cheat" removed from our collective vocabulary here. I feel the same way when people talk in terms of cheat days.

For me a rough day is when I eat to sooth my emotions (fear, anger, grief) or when I eat myself into an unconscious stupor.

A cup of ice cream is fine and is not something that must be eliminated from your diet. Personally, I don't keep it in the house because my self-discipline muscle is not as strong as I'd like, but that's me.

You are fine.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I might be a little bit old school, but ice cream is cheating no matter how you slice it.

"Old school" doesn't mean "wrong".

There is nothing wrong with ice cream. The idea that some foods should be eliminated so you can lose weight is why most people fail.

Moderation.

This! you can't expect to succeed and cut out everything you love permanently . This is a lifestyle change not a diet with an end date. learning moderation is the key!
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you are still losing weight.... that is the real goal of all this..... right..

You may want to stop it if you find yourself at the end of the week 10 lbs heavier....:noway:
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    I don't think that's "cheating" if you do still lose weight.

However, that was honestly how I fell off the wagon on my last diet. Not trying to freak you out, just a word of caution with that. I did fine with it for a while, but eventually, I just kept rolling them over and was over my goal every single day thinking I'd make it up somehow and I never did.

Hopefully you're more disciplined than I am! I won't do it this time because of that. And it's not that I would caution anyone against it at all. Just for me, personally, that was a slippery slope :/

I wish I could do that and not get back into bad eating habits.

Just my experience. Like I said, if you (or anyone) can be responsible with this, go for it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you are still losing weight.... that is the real goal of all this..... right..

You may want to stop it if you find yourself at the end of the week 10 lbs heavier....:noway:
    No, because it would not be the ice cream per se that is making her fat, the cause would be eating well over her TDEE, which would include ice cream. Food is food and none is good or bad for you,unless you have intolerances, allergies, or your doctor tells you that you cannot eat certain foods due to a medical conditions.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Joke.... SLL...:wink:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Its only cheating if you only log 1/2 cup. Otherwise its just calorie counting.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is no cheating in this unless you aren't logging the calories. Since you are logging the ice cream then it isn't cheating.

No food is bad, only too much food is bad.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    On my clock, after midnight is the next day. So I think you did it right.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nope lol. If you eat it at 3am it is tomorrow's food.
    Cheating is when I drove home late one night, felt peckish but had no calories left. I got a drive thru and logged it as next day. It was about 400 calories and really regretted it the next day, I wanted those 400 calories back.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    The term "cheating" relates to that old diet mentality where certain things were considered "fattening" and therefore to be avoided. In the new age of moderation, its is really A-okay to have ice cream and any other food you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

This. And the comment about demonizing food. Exactly.

I would love to see the word "cheat" removed from our collective vocabulary here. I feel the same way when people talk in terms of cheat days.

For me a rough day is when I eat to sooth my emotions (fear, anger, grief) or when I eat myself into an unconscious stupor.

A cup of ice cream is fine and is not something that must be eliminated from your diet. Personally, I don't keep it in the house because my self-discipline muscle is not as strong as I'd like, but that's me.

You are fine.

I'm not too fond of the words "cheat day" either. How am I cheating? I can eat what I want. lol.. As long as my weekly calories are on point I'm fine. lol... Mind you I do eat mainly nutrient dense foods because I like them but if I want ice cream, pizza, or carl's Jr. I do not plan for it. I just do it if I feel I have been consistent enough, which frankly I'm pretty consistent most days and disciplined so if I want it Ill have it. lol
  • melinda11587
    melinda11587 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just hate my first night back bc I'm usually up 20 hours...so I tend to overeat that day...sucks! Coffee in my friend on those night.s...one for the appetite suppressant and 2 for the energy!
  • buildabetterbody66
    Options
    If you are questioning it, then I don't think you are comfortable with it. Yes, it is good that you do log it instead of eating it and not logging it, and you say you are not over with your calories on a weekly basis. However, I have recently paid a lot of attention to macronutrients and the types of food I put in my body. Not saying ice cream is a never food, but I would consider it an occasional treat and on a regular basis I would substitute with something with more nutritional value such as Greek frozen yogurt. You will find weight loss is better and you lose fat, maintain muscle if you are more conscientious of nutritional values.