Slim Fast to start?

Options

Replies

• EvanElric
    EvanElric Posts: 34
    Options
    I've used Slim Fast. Tastes like balls. Weight loss does't have to be that torturous.. I wish I hadn't started my weight loss journey with shakes and pills. I'd be at my goal weight by now.
    If you really want to use slim fast, go ahead. it could be a good learning experience in that you'll learn what doesn't work.. c: good luck anyhow
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My goal is my pre pregnant weight (133) and my goal date is May 15 2015 and that is what my app gave me. But most of the time I have calories left over like yesterday (3\22\14) I had 622 leftover.

Wait, wut? Are you trying to net or gross 1200 calories? If you had 622 left, does that mean you netted 600? If your logging is correct and you actually are netting that low, that isn't helping anything either.

Can you open your diary?
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Following is a quote from @ Trogalicious. He has lost 153 pounds. Please read and do this….

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more. I LOVE food. Some of the changes I made were to cut out the unhealthy foods a little at a time, making small changes. Someone pointed out my sodium was way over what is recommended so I started looking at labels for sodium. I personally would rather have a little more fat & calories than the sodium they add to make up for the lost flavor.

I can't stand those weight loss shakes. Like I said, I LOVE food. To me it's about sustainable changes to my everyday habits. I can't stomach fast food anymore. Eating from one meal from Burger King has my tummy in knots for days now. Every Sunday we prepare a large selection of veggies that we like to have a "salad bar" in the fridge and every night we can quickly put together our salads for lunch the next day. I can't stand ordering a salad from a sandwich shop anymore because I'm so spoiled with a mix of greens, tomoatoes, cucumber, onions, three different bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, low sodium cottage cheese and a couple ounces of whatever meat/chicken/fish is leftover in the fridge from the previous nights dinner (if there isn't any a little bit of canned tuna or chicken or a boiled egg is always good).

However you choose to pursue this, good luck!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    1260 calories seems very low to me.....(not seems, it is)

Get a food scale, and weigh/measure everything.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I use Slim Fast shakes & meal bars for convenience and it has helped me. I don't always have the time to make something to eat because I'm always running around.

I don't have a lot of time either. I have 4 little ones some with special needs and 3 dogs and more... So really dinner is the main meal we eat at home the kids go to school so they eat there.

Here is the thing....when you finish getting "started" with Slimfast...your kids and dogs will still be there. The time limit will still be there. So you will have to eat real food....along with having kids and dogs. So why not start that now, and figure out what works? :smile:

Slimfast is full of sugar/carbs/chemicals....oh....and it's not satisfying! If you grill a bunch of chicken breasts at one time and keep them in fridge you can grab on and put it on a salad. Boom. Lunch done...you can chew it....and it will fill you up WAY more than a slim fast.

Eggs/egg whites in a non-stick pan take like 2 minutes to cook. Add in some toast/microwave some bacon/turkey bacon whatever...boom. breakfast done in like 5 minutes or less and it will hold you way longer. Or have a 2% greek yogurt for some protein and fat.

Point being...your life isn't going to change once slim fast starts. So get ahead of the game and start now the way you want to be living. It will be cheaper, less painful, and healthier! Good luck!
  • Paant
    Paant Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Don't do what I did! "I'll use SF as a jump-start". All it did was make me gain weight! Why? All the sugar in it just made me crave more sugar!

If you want to do this, you'd be better off with a high-protein drink. These are so much better at giving you a fuller feeling without the sugar. I started drinking a 100% Whey Protein Optimum Nutrition (ON) drink and am amazed at how full it keeps me. And here's the difference:

SF: Calories - 190
    Carbs - 24
    Sugar - 18
    Protein - 10

ON: Cals - 120 (powder form. Add another 95 for cup of skim milk for 215 total)
    Carbs - 3
    Sugar - 1
    Protein - 23

See the huge difference in carbs, sugar, and protein? I'd rather have a high-protein drink that's 35 calories more, than a high-sugar and carb drink, that doesn't fill me and only gets me hungrier! Good luck. I know you're going to get all different points of view.
  • FatMomma89
    FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok so a lot of you think that 1260 is low and some think I put in the wrong information. So here is my info and my goal date is May 15 2015

Current weight 199
    Goal weight 130
    Height 5'6
    I am a female
    I am lightly active
    I workout 4 times a week (I work out an hour or two each time)
    My goal is 2 pounds a week (If I knock it down 1\2 a pound I get only 10 extra calories)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No I just don't agree with slim fast, as you can make your own protein shake at home and it will most likely be better quality then slim fast!!
    I've tasted it before, a Co worker had them and I drank one and thought it tasted bad! Shakes you make at home, can taste really good!!!
    I had a csection as well, and I know the frustration your going threw. But don't give up, just re figure your numbers, make sure that your weighing and measuring everything you eat!! And you can do this!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just saw you posted your stats.
    I started at 202
    Currently weigh 135.
    I'm just about 5"8 tall.
    I did this without using slim fast, or any other type of "dieting plan"
    If I can do it, so can you!!
    If your not losing now, re calculate your numbers and be accurate. It will happen for you!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Ok so a lot of you think that 1260 is low and some think I put in the wrong information. So here is my info and my goal date is May 15 2015

Current weight 199
    Goal weight 130
    Height 5'6
    I am a female
    I am lightly active
    I workout 4 times a week (I work out an hour or two each time)
    My goal is 2 pounds a week (If I knock it down 1\2 a pound I get only 10 extra calories)

Edited because I just noticed year - sorry.

Eat food, not shakes. Pre-plan, pre-cook. It can work with a busy schedule and kids. Good luck.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Following is a quote from @ Trogalicious. He has lost 153 pounds. Please read and do this….

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this... plus:

slimfast?

pKnRM.gif
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I did it for about a month for the same reasons... plus I'm a super busy toddler mom & nanny, so it was easy! Worked for me & I had no trouble transitioning to "real" food
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back any of your exercise calories? If not, that could be why you are stalling - your body needs fuel - feed it 1260 cals isn't that much.
  • FatMomma89
    FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back any of your exercise calories? If not, that could be why you are stalling - your body needs fuel - feed it 1260 cals isn't that much.

Sometimes
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Sexycna2011, I LOVE your c-section scar ticker. Just shows how awesome you are. I used a slim fast type drink as a jump start when I couldn't gain control of my eating habits. It worked for me, I think I used it for about two weeks. It was enough for me to break the cycle of my endless snacking, and it allowed me to have one real 'meal' a day (always a salad). I had also started doing just 30 minutes of cardio a day (alternated 30 minute dvds), 5 days a week. For me personally, I needed this start. I had tried and tried for the past 4 years to change my diet, but I just couldn't. I was totally out of control.I went on to eat much better and continued my 30 minutes a day until I was fit enough for longer workouts. I think our situations are different though. I was in a bad bad place. REALLY out of shape. You have already been able to restrict your food, and are already working out. Sorry, I don't have the answer that will work for you in your situation. You really are getting a lot of great information and advice in here, but I'm going to go against the grain and say, maybe you need a mental break from your diet and calorie counting? If you were to limit your slim fast use to 1, or 2 weeks, maybe that could just be the break you need. Dieting is stressful. Especially when you are not getting the results you hoped for. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck towards your goals!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat real food at a deficit? Why do people make things more complicated than they need to be?

tumblr_m4016qhlHg1rolvqk.gif

I do agree. I've been asked so often what my secret is. People always act disappointed when I tell them I count calories.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It worked but there are better meal replacements out there. You can also try lean cuisines, things like that are preportioned
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking slimfast for breakfast and lunch. Lost 4 pounds in two weeks. I am going to start exercising at least three times a week. It helps me and keeps my calories for the day at my goal of 1200 calories. In addition, I splurge on Saturday so I don't feel deprived all the time. I eat a healthy dinner of no more than 300 - 350 calories.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Before I launched my Paleo lifestyle,
    for a SINGLE week,
    I drank two shakes made with a high-quality whey protein powder
    and ate normal food twice per day.
    That daily routine stopped my food orgies.
    I used that week to get my pantry cleared out, and
    brought in the proper foods.

Best Wishes!