Fighting the Beast

Options
I am so mad at myself. When it comes to my healthy lifestyle change I do so well for a while that I fall off. Two weeks ago I was so close to 50 pounds lost. When I got on that scale I wanted to cry. I was 5 pounds away from 50 pounds lost. So guess what I did I celebrated by allowing myself a cheat meal than a cheat day. Now I'm back to my old ways. I don't drink water or watch what I eat. Thank God for some reason I don't know why but I haven't gained any weight back. I also haven't lost any more weight. Can someone please tell me what I can do to get motivated and stay motivated? Can I please get some advice from people who have lost weight and kept it off. This journey has been so difficult. I don't want to give up because I know it will all be worth it. But I have a long ways to go. I need to do this for myself and my children. They deserve a healthy happy mommy. And I deserve to be healthy.

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Seems like you outlined your motivations above; your kids and yourself.

Good thing is you didn't gain any weight. Also another great thing is since you fell off for a few weeks, when you get back on the horse you probably going to lose that 5lbs in no time since its like you are starting all over.

You almost lost 50lbs. Your wonderful progress should be another motivating factor. How bad do you want it?

Okay, you slipped up. Now you know that as of now you aren't disciplined enough to have "cheat days" right now. As time goes on and you become more self-disciplined things will change and you will be able to add "cheat meal" as you call them without falling off.

You recognized your triggers so now just move on and keep it pushing.

Today is a new day so forget the past, forgive yourself and move on.

You got this!
  • ritabrienfit
    ritabrienfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the success you've had so far. It's been so motivating to be able to watch your progress this far.

I understand what you're saying. A couple weeks ago I went on vacation and ate like I was on vacation. I gained 4 lbs. And when I got back, I had trouble eating healthy again. So I picked a day in the future (a day that I new I had a regular routine) and said, ok. I'll get back on track that day, but I'm still going to track what I eat between now and then. I found myself getting back on track a day or two before that which was great.

Maybe try something like that to get yourself back on track? Just say to yourself, ok, Wednesday (or whatever day) I'm going to get back on track. And then between now and then log everything you eat or drink even though you're not really starting back for another couple days. You might find that because you're paying attention, you'll be able to bounce back sooner than your deadline to bounce back. Then the weight coming off again each day or week or however often you weigh yourself will be motivation enough to keep going. And maybe for now keep your celebrations to non-food rewards until you know you have the discipline to keep those cheat meals to just a meal. A new shirt, a day trip to one of your favorite places, a manicure, etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I make a choice to tighten up my eating.

I too just got back from vacation and gained 4lbs...the week after vacation I logged but did not keep a close eye and was at 1800 most days...which is still a deficet and I lost weight but then the next I made that choice to be done screwing around. I was back at my goal of 1600-1700 and bam 3lbs gone..good bye vacation weight...

So just make that choice...that decision that you are going to do what you need to do.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. It means a lot when I reach out for support and people respond. I am going to try to just get started again. I was thinking about going to the gym today and talking to a trainer and nutritionist. I need all the help I can get.
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi, I'm glad you're here and asking for help. The idea of "I must be motivated" is frankly a (very popular) lie. Most of the time, I don't feel motivated--but I choose to do the right thing for my weight loss anyway. My exercise is scheduled every day, and I record everything I eat. How I feel about it is irrelevant--my actions are going to determine my weight loss. It's like the Nike ads--"Just do it!" Don't wait until you feel like it--just start doing the work--you'll get there!