Eating Breakfast..

Options
OK so I have never been a fan of breakfast, I'm never hungry in the morning and the thought of eating makes me gag! I have been to doing my best to force feed myself breakfast, but its difficult. Does anyone else have this problem, or have any tips to make eating in the morning easier??

Replies

• pavenewpaths
    Options
    Yes, but I know that logically eating something in the morning will get my metabolism running and I'll be less likely to be starving in the afternoon since I'm usually only able to get my second meal at about 2:30. So to prevent overeating in the afternoon I always have a piece of fruit in the morning, usually an apple or grapefruit, and a cup of tea or black coffee.
  • joylotus
    joylotus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually have a 200-cal green smoothie. : ) This week: spinach / raspberry / banana / Chia seeds.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I know that logically eating something in the morning will get my metabolism running
    If your metabolism ever stops running you'll be dead
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, but I force myself to eat something before I leave in the morning. Usually it is a bowl of oatmeal, but sometimes I'm naughty and just have a banana. I find when I do eat in the morning, I consume less calories during the day, which is a positive indicator of how important breakfast is.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A. You don't need breakfast.
    B. Drink a smoothie if you insist.
    C. Carry on
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal is a great breakfast to start your day healthy and quick.
    Put half a cup of non fat (greek) yoghurt + half a cup of oatmeal in a bowl, stir and place in the fridge (in the night before your breakfast).
    The next morning take it out and enjoy :D
    You can top it off with a lot of things (fruits, cacao, peanut butter, cinnamon, etc...).
  • glitterysam
    glitterysam Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I used to be physically ill if I tried to eat in the morning but I've gradually worked up to having a banana, coffee and even a yoghurt if I really push it!
    I found leaving a bunch of bananas in the office means I have to eat one each day when I get in and after the walk it helps- I sometimes break it in half so doesn't seem as much
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat before 1pm, and haven't had a problem with that. It suits me not to eat until then. I don't tend to feel like eating until lunchtime, and when I do et earlier, I'm usually hungrier mid morning than if I don't. I simply prefer to eat the bulk of my calories in the evening, so that's what I do. Occasionally I'll eat breakfast when I get up, if I'm ravenous then, or if I know I need the extra energy if I'm being unusually active at work or something. Otherwise, I'm fine with coffee until lunch.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy I skipped breakfast regularly, but still ate lunch and dinner. Now I typically skip or go light on dinner. Doing so makes me very hungry by the time breakfast rolls around. Eating breakfast and lunch makes more sense to me because it gives me calories when I am awake and active. Dinner seems like such a waste of calories because I am my least active in the evening and while I am asleep. You can try to reset your appetite by swapping out breakfast for dinner, it worked for me.
  • potatotofries
    potatotofries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My body have an autopilot mode to have a breakfast. I love breakfast meals, I'd eat breakfast for lunch and dinner if I could lol :D

Maybe you could try doing a little exercise in the morning, like some morning run, stretching, yoga, or any little exercises you could do in your bedroom. Once you get some sweat, I think you'll find yourself a little hungry, then you could just grab a smoothie or eat cereal.
  • potatotofries
    potatotofries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy I skipped breakfast regularly, but still ate lunch and dinner. Now I typically skip or go light on dinner. Doing so makes me very hungry by the time breakfast rolls around. Eating breakfast and lunch makes more sense to me because it gives me calories when I am awake and active. Dinner seems like such a waste of calories because I am my least active in the evening and while I am asleep. You can try to reset your appetite by swapping out breakfast for dinner, it worked for me.

I totally agree with choosing breakfast and lunch. I never could skip dinner because I'm always staying up late for my projects, so I have my reasons for taking more calories at nigh. But now I don't really have much things to do at night so I decided to skip dinner (i don't feel hungry at all), and if I got hungry I just grab some fruits.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get up at six and don't usually eat until midday. If I have breakfast, it makes me hungrier throughout the day.

I mean, if I'm hungry at breakfast time, I'll eat something, but normally I won't be.

Personally, I think it's more about finding what works for you than eating at a set time.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am of the opinion that you should never force yourself to eat if you're not hungry. Even if this means skipping breakfast. I usually have breakfast, but I'm usually hungry in the morning. Probably because my breakfasts tend to be heavier than my dinners. When I have light breakfasts, my dinners tend to be heavier. Either way, the calories usually even out. So, I still end up right around my calorie goal for maintenance. If you really feel breakfast is important, make a smoothie. I sometimes have smoothies with my breakfasts. They're great for nutrition and taste good, too.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Just eat when you normally do - timing of meals and snacks isn't really relevant.
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My son is the same way. He can't eat that early. Now that he is grown up, he gets his coffee and eats a protien bar. I always eat breakfast because I know that your metabolism won't get started until you break the fast.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast because I know that your metabolism won't get started until you break the fast.

No. Your metabolism only stops when you're dead. The effects on your metabolism are negligible at best. As long as you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. Gym performance, yes, but not weight loss.
  • pamhv
    pamhv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a hard boiled egg. I usually exercise in the morning and find if I eat too much I have a really hard time.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat in the morning! How you time your calories throughout the day doesn't matter, so skip breakfast if you like. I generally do better when I skip breakfast or keep it very small, and get most of my calories in the latter part of the day.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I drink a big cup of water in the morning. My big cup fits about 4 cups of water. This gets my metabolism going. I don't eat actual food until like 10am, unless I'm totally starving. I have coffee between 9-10 am.

You don't *have to* eat breakfast. I get most of my calories between 6pm - 10pm most days...
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Was like you many moons ago - now if I don't have breakfast I go mental! Fats and protein / aminos is what your body craves mainly - eggs and avo or eggs and bacon and in my high fat day, eggs, avo and bacon !