Keep going over my daily calories!

Options
My calories are set quite high due to 1. not having the willpower etc to live off 1200 calories per day and 2. not wanting to loose weight too quickly... but i still keep going over!

this week so far i have been eating MUCH better than what i was eating before i joined this site... It's embaressing to think now but last week an example of just one day of food would be -

big bowl of nesquik cereal with full fat milk, 2 slices of toast with butter and marmiet. (breakfast)
fast food such as burger king or else a couple of bacon and cheese sandwichs (lunch)
a whole large pizza extra cheese etc with chips maybe some garlic bread and chicken wings (dinner)
snacks i may eat a whole pack of biscuits at once or a couple of bags of crisps or the king size chocolate bars
and drink fizzy drinks throughout the day as well

now so far i've changed breakfast to a bowl of fruit and fibre with semi skimmed milk, lunch is either some toast or a sandwich, dinner depends what we have maybe some mince and pasta or whatever and drinking water throughout the day

I know not the healthiest diet but i'm just trying to fix the mess i was before with my eating habits lol, and it will probably take time

but somehow i still manage to go over my calories per day, even some days just by 60 calories. it doesn't bother me, or demotivate me as i'm really proud of trying so hard so far

but i guess my question is... is it bad to be going over every day? when i weigh myself on friday will i have not lost anything because of this? (this is my first week so i'm still learning!) because i'm pretty sure if i haven't lost anything it will be a bit upsetting as i have been trying really hard this week!

i think maybe i need to do more excercise but atm i only have wii active and it's really boring so i end up only doing about 10mins, and tried going out for walks but it's freezing and meant to be heavy snow by the end of the week.

Sorry I'm rambling now!!! So basically my question... going over my calories... will it have a big effect on my weight loss?

Replies

• lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you set to lose a pound a week or half a pound a week? If you go over too much, you will not lose weight. The first step is just tracking your food. You can't fix a problem until you recognize it. Then, you can start modifying your diet so that you are eating lower calorie, more filling foods. For example, two packages of instant oatmeal that is sugar free is only 200 calories for breakfast, and is very filling. You won't feel hungry until lunch.

Just hang in there, I went over almost every day in October, but continued to log my food and be honest with myself. I have been on here 148 days and have lost 19 pounds.

There were at least 6 weeks when I didn't lose anything, but at least I didn't gain anything. Slow and steady does the trick.

Good Luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

1200 is the min for a woman ! a small sedentry woman...
  • dvanwyck
    Options
    I agree...keeping track is the first step. at this time of year, the goal is to "not gain" as far as I am concerned. Most people gain 5-10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New Years. I figure, if I don't gain, I am 5-10 lbs ahead come Jan 1st.
  • chazsucks
    Options
    Thanks

I joined the site a couple of weeks ago and was just going to try and 'maintain' for a while and see where i was going wrong and then try and lose weight but after a few days of seeing all the absolute rubbish i was pouring into my body and how much of it i really couldn't keep doing it lol!!

I think i'm set to lose 1lb a week, should i maybe change it to 2lb? Will that make my calories per day go down more though? xx
  • chazsucks
    Options
    Maybe this will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

1200 is the min for a woman ! a small sedentry woman...

Thanks for the link!!! reading it atm very helpful xx
  • hankal
    hankal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes it will have a great effect on your weight loss. you will see no progress and then say the
    "heck with it". 1200 is too low I think I am 68, just starting this program and, am using 1800/day.
    I am using the "Flat Belly Diet" as a guide. I try for 400 cal/meal, with 2 200 cal snacks to ward off the pig out problem.
    I think you have way too much bad fat in your daily meals and should try for MUFAs. I know it is difficult and at times we say
    forget it. I can honestly say I have not felt hungry on my program. I am also including exercise, recumbent bike and dumbells to burn up some calories. Try to continue reducing your caloric intake, add MUFAs(olive oil, olives, nuts,peanut butter etc} to curb hunger pangs, a little exercise like walking, no elevator and you will be on your way. All the best
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Very hard to go to alittle from alot! It takes your body time to adjust, going over at this stage doesn't matter. It takes at least 21 days for a habit, your body about 3 months. So give yourself some slack,don't expect going from the way you were eating to a healthy life style over night. [3 months at least maybe 6]
    Every change in life takes time, switching to a healthy lifesyle is easy for you but takes the body time to adjust and get use to new foods,caloric intake,& exercise.
    The major part has been acomplished![mental part 90%] Now the journey begins,day by day, week by week, & month by month and in a year you will look & feel different! Its a process, didn't get like this over night and won't change back over night either!
    You will lose the weight,do it right. [MFP is a fabulous helper] Believe to achieve,make a plan do your plan, & visualize yourself at the final goal! [use picture of what you want to look like]....Good luck in your new lifestyle, You can do what ever you choose to do just have to have commitment,determination,willpower,& above all attitude! Made the right choice and your body will be grateful for it!:wink:
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I joined the site a couple of weeks ago and was just going to try and 'maintain' for a while and see where i was going wrong and then try and lose weight but after a few days of seeing all the absolute rubbish i was pouring into my body and how much of it i really couldn't keep doing it lol!!

I think i'm set to lose 1lb a week, should i maybe change it to 2lb? Will that make my calories per day go down more though? xx

Your comment demonstrates my dieting hypothesis totally: the mere act of observing something can change its outcome (its like quantum mechanics for weight loss).

Paying attention, recording what you eat causes you to make better choices. You're becoming "mindful" of what you eat. Just by thinking about it you are no longer able to engage in mindless consumption.

You've already made a choice to improve. Now you're on the road you still have decisions to make and information to gather but if you're goal is to get healthy, eat better, lose weight or exercise more.....you're on the right track!!!

Be patient, you may not lose it as fast as you'd like. But its a very large ship (your life) and it takes time and patience to turn it around, to point it in a better direction and to gather up the steam you need to gain momentum.

congrats and good luck!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is way too low in my opinion. Its going to catch up and you're going to get so hungry you'll go on a big binge. Cutting out the fast food and sugar should help you lose weight in the beginning as long as you watch your portion size. In the long run you will have to amp up the exercise. I suggest stopping in at your library and checking out what they have for workout DVD's. Most libraries carry them and usually can keep them for 7 days. This way you can try a few different ones and not make a $ investment until you find something you like.

And finally, this is a tough time of year to start with all the holiday stuff going on but honestly why wait until the New Year to "start". I know a lot of people advocate for just maintaining right now but if not now when? Its still going to be cold in Jan, you're still going to crave the bad foods, and there's going to be stress to make you want to eat. Just keep in mind: IS THE CHOICE I'M MAKING NOW MOVING ME CLOSER TO OR FURTHER FROM MY GOAL?
  • americansugar80
    Options
    i wanted to go on a diet too and i thought i didnt have to log in my foods on paper before i joined this site cause i have it handled and controlled and i know how to go on a diet...well i was wrong! :smile: i would go on a diet and i wouldnt even follow through with the diet after like the 3 rd day and my hubby even teased me about it!

When a friend referred me to join i wasnt going to but here i am 10 days into it and this site has helped me know where to be at in my calorie goal. Here i'm thinking its a good diet to be on, WELL here's the thing...he told me, "its not a diet, you change your life and your habits." So i really am PROUD that you even changed your eating habits to begin with, your already changing your life to be better.:heart: so BE SURE you are ready to change your life if your going to try.

you have to be a bit under or about your calorie goal in order to lose the wieght first. but being over 60 doesnt seem all so bad.
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great job at working on changing things. This is not an over night process, it takes time and effort. Pick one area to focus on - maybe lowering your fat or sodium intake. It sounds like you are off to a great start! Don't lose motivation!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over my allowed 1200 cals, usually by 1-200 cals. I have still managed to lose 18 lbs in about 3.5 months. It has come off slowly, but I try not to rush it and be patient. I also try to burn cals at the gym so that I can eat more. Do you have a gym close by? Memberships have gotten really inexpensive lately:) congrats for taking the first step!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Figure out how to do it. Diet without exercise or exercise without diet is a waste of effort. This is exactly what I was going through when I first committed myself to losing weight 6 years ago. I tried working out. Nothing. I tried eating better. Nothing. When I finally gave in and started exercising every day AND eating better, it was like a switch was thrown. I was losing upwards of 1lb a day at one point, and lost 100 lbs in 1 year.

Also, if you find yourself always going a little over, take a little out of every meal.

One more tip; plan out your days. I know exactly what, when, and how much of everything I'm going to eat today because I planned it all out this morning. If I stick to my plan, I'll make my goal today. This takes all the emotion out of it. I don't have to decide what and when to eat based on how I "feel". Instead, I eat when I'm supposed to eat and follow the plan.

This WILL get easier.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Figure out how to do it. Diet without exercise or exercise without diet is a waste of effort. This is exactly what I was going through when I first committed myself to losing weight 6 years ago. I tried working out. Nothing. I tried eating better. Nothing. When I finally gave in and started exercising every day AND eating better, it was like a switch was thrown. I was losing upwards of 1lb a day at one point, and lost 100 lbs in 1 year.

Also, if you find yourself always going a little over, take a little out of every meal.

One more tip; plan out your days. I know exactly what, when, and how much of everything I'm going to eat today because I planned it all out this morning. If I stick to my plan, I'll make my goal today. This takes all the emotion out of it. I don't have to decide what and when to eat based on how I "feel". Instead, I eat when I'm supposed to eat and follow the plan.

This WILL get easier.

Not ture.. a weight loss is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. Regardless as long as your deficet you WILL loose weight. I walk for 30 minutes a day. And I'm still loosing weight.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Compared to what you were eating, I'd say you seem to be doing much much better and taking in less calories should give you some type of weight loss. Stick with it and keeo coming back here for motivation and tips, it really does help tremendously. Take one day ata time, one meal if you have to ata time and try and make them as healthy as you can. You will learn from your mistakes and it will get easier for you to make better choices. If you should make a mistake, don't beat yourself up over it, just pick yourself back up and keep at it! As far as going over your calories, it's hard to say because I don't know where you have it set. If you go over by a few like 100 or less you should be fine. Keep at it and you'll get there. Good luck!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

This WILL get easier.

Not ture.. a weight loss is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. Regardless as long as your deficet you WILL loose weight. I walk for 30 minutes a day. And I'm still loosing weight.

Guess what. . .that means YOU'RE EXERCISING.

The op is having trouble sticking to her calorie goals. If she has exercise calories to eat, it will be much easier.

Don't tell me "not true" then throw out some baseless numbers you heard on biggest loser or read in a fitness mag, and don't chop my legs out from under me when I'm giving helpful advice that YOU already follow.
  • kaymiller2
    Options
    Thanks

1 lb per week loss goal is good to start. If you make the deficit too much at first, you will want to quit. Dont try to keep it to 1200 just cause of all the ppl on here that do that! Just eat what MFP tells you that you can. Just keep on, and even if you dont lose a ton the first few weeks, if you stay within 100 cal of your goal, you probably will sooner than you think. I know we all have different metabolisms, etc, etc. The most important thing is: Do Not Quit.
    ps - And 'TateFTW' is right... if you exercise even some, it will give you more calories to eat. thats the main reaon I exercise! lol!