Keeping a Healthy Lifestyle?

Options
paigenevaeh
paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
At risk of making a "woe is me!" post but here we go!
I started my weight loss journey in August..and I can't say I started losing the "healthy" way. I was eating about 900-1000 calories a day (the horror!). As a result I lost 18lbs between August-February.

This did however lead to a cycle of restricting/binging (I am in therapy for this), and I tried to make healthy changes; upping calories, more vegetables etc. But about 3 weeks ago I fell off the wagon. Stopped counting calories, started gaining the weight back. So frustrating as I am 7lbs off my goal weight. For what it's worth, I exercise 5x a week, usually a mixture of Jillian Michael's DVDs & pilates.

So, pretending I am a total noob (which I guess I am to this healthy eating thing!) how can I start a healthy lifestyle change that I will be able to keep? What are your tips? I'm looking to have about 1400-1500 calories a day.

/end moany post.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's best to just make one healthy change at a time. You are adding in exercise for now, keep that up for a few weeks, until it becomes habit, and then work on the diet. One dietary change at a time. For example, start by making it a habit to eat a big salad with dinner every night. Do that for a few weeks, and then once it is habit, change something else. Changing everything at once is an easy way to overwhelm yourself.
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think you may be onto something there! I am impatient, and I want change and I want it now!!! but I know that's not going to happen.
    I'm already in the habit of exercising regularly :) I've always been pretty active/
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    It helped me a lot to pre-log my food and to eat purposely so that I reach my calorie and protein goals, even if I don't feel like it at the moment.
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your weight can fluctuate based on a number of factors and at the end of the day its just number. It's great to have a goal, but a higher muscle density will result in greater weight but a healthier person. Look at the overall picture, how your clothes fit and you may want to take measurements as well. Everyone "falls of the wagon" on occasion. Focus on your success, you got back on track and your working out 5 days a week.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Menu planning is good also - if you plan your meals ahead of time and prelog the night before you can see what your diary looks like and if it's lacking somewhere you can add what you need.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Don't put foods into a "good" category or a "bad" category.

Focus on actionable goals (eat a serving of vegetables at dinner every night) rather than outcome goals (losing 5 pounds). A healthy lifestyle is so much more than the number on the scale!