Started Medifast today looking for anyone else on programs

Replies

• randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Thanks for the tips! These are brilliant. Unfortunately, I am allergic to tree nuts, so almonds are a no go for me. I will be adding everything else to my grocery list for this week to be sure!
  • dbritt07
    dbritt07 Posts: 17 Member
    I just noticed this post from 2/13/13 where I had lost 105 pounds. As of 1/15/14, I have lost 257...so anybody reading this and wondering..yes; Medifast does work...wonders. It's worth every ounce of effort and every $ you'll spend; which btw, is a big savings for me compared to what I spent prior to Medifast.

Nancy, what do you do if your doctor is anti-Medifast? I recently started going to a Naturopathic who has done wonders at getting my system in order. From what supplements I need (Had a full comprehensive metabolic testing done) to balancing my hormone issues. He said based upon my prescription that the large amounts of soy in Medifast is counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve. The Soy will increase estrogen and decrease testosterone. He also said he wanted me on 2,000 calories a day, 6 1.5 hour workouts a week, no wheat, no sugar and NO Medifast. I can't tell if I should ignore him and go forward or not. I am seeing great results on MF but I don't want it to mess me up my system more either. He thought 900-1,000 calories a day was dangerous for my heart. I don't have heart problems but he said calories that low can give you that problem.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    It works if you stick to it. :) I just finished week 1 (after being off of it for 3 months - big mistake!) and lost 13.4 pounds in 7 days. The first time I was on Medifast was middle of last year and I lost 45 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I then proceeded to go off plan for the past 3 months because I got overconfident and gained it all back plus 2 pounds. The key for me no matter the plan is I must weigh myself weekly at least or I lose site of everything. Once I stop weighing myself or get out of the habit which isn't hard as I hate scales, it all comes back..Good luck to you!

BTW - a large loss like that is common the fist week, I lost over 14 the first time I was on this during the first week but it then the next week it dropped to like 6, then 4-5 each week after but it averages out to roughly 5 pounds a week - at least for me it did, Not bad really!

Well that answers my question about this diet - good luck to you all but I will stick with my slow and steady weightloss with food I can buy at the grocery store! :ohwell:
  • dbritt07
    It works if you stick to it. :) I just finished week 1 (after being off of it for 3 months - big mistake!) and lost 13.4 pounds in 7 days. The first time I was on Medifast was middle of last year and I lost 45 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I then proceeded to go off plan for the past 3 months because I got overconfident and gained it all back plus 2 pounds. The key for me no matter the plan is I must weigh myself weekly at least or I lose site of everything. Once I stop weighing myself or get out of the habit which isn't hard as I hate scales, it all comes back..Good luck to you!

BTW - a large loss like that is common the fist week, I lost over 14 the first time I was on this during the first week but it then the next week it dropped to like 6, then 4-5 each week after but it averages out to roughly 5 pounds a week - at least for me it did, Not bad really!

Well that answers my question about this diet - good luck to you all but I will stick with my slow and steady weightloss with food I can buy at the grocery store! :ohwell:

Glad I could help :) Do what works for you. This works for me but again, I get conflicting messages from my doctors - both my MD and my Naturopathic who hate this plan and are dead set against it. To be fair, I never transitioned to the next phase so I can't blame Medifast for my weight gain, that was my fault.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Has anyone maintained their loss after doing Medifast?
    Just wondering because I have a friend who paid $2000.00 three years ago. Lost 50# in about 6 months, and has gained it all back and 15# more. She actually was inspirational for me to "try one more time". I did not like the restrictiveness of the plan though, or some of the foods she ate. So, I came here and decided the calorie counting thing was right for me. No gimmicks or restricted foods and the price is right.
  • dbritt07
    Has anyone maintained their loss after doing Medifast?
    Just wondering because I have a friend who paid $2000.00 three years ago. Lost 50# in about 6 months, and has gained it all back and 15# more. She actually was inspirational for me to "try one more time". I did not like the restrictiveness of the plan though, or some of the foods she ate. So, I came here and decided the calorie counting thing was right for me. No gimmicks or restricted foods and the price is right.
    [/quote

And you've lost 156 pounds? Wholly crap that's awesome! Good for you, I love it when people conquer the fat demon. :smile:
    My problem appears to be wheat and sugar mostly. I eat it, even in small quantities, and I blow up like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon. Do you count carbs as well or just calories? Again, congrats on your success, you must be really proud of yourself!
  • I just noticed this post from 2/13/13 where I had lost 105 pounds. As of 1/15/14, I have lost 257...so anybody reading this and wondering..yes; Medifast does work...wonders. It's worth every ounce of effort and every $ you'll spend; which btw, is a big savings for me compared to what I spent prior to Medifast.

Nancy, what do you do if your doctor is anti-Medifast? I recently started going to a Naturopathic who has done wonders at getting my system in order. From what supplements I need (Had a full comprehensive metabolic testing done) to balancing my hormone issues. He said based upon my prescription that the large amounts of soy in Medifast is counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve. The Soy will increase estrogen and decrease testosterone. He also said he wanted me on 2,000 calories a day, 6 1.5 hour workouts a week, no wheat, no sugar and NO Medifast. I can't tell if I should ignore him and go forward or not. I am seeing great results on MF but I don't want it to mess me up my system more either. He thought 900-1,000 calories a day was dangerous for my heart. I don't have heart problems but he said calories that low can give you that problem.

Be glad your dr. is anti-MF! It sent me to the emergency room because of the soy. I found out the hard way that the soy posed a HUGE problem for me & the amount of calories was WAY too low for me. I'm doing great just following MFP & my current dr. couldn't be more pleased with my weight loss. Just sharing my personal experience.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    I just ordered my food as well!:wink:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Kimbelle, good luck, read the quick start guide and learn the rules of the program. I sent you a friend request.
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Today was my first day on Medifast. I am tired and hungry at the end of the day, but going to just go to bed and try again tomorrow...think that is how I need to take it...one day at a time :) Would LOVE some MF friends...please add if you would.

Laura
  • keopeo
    keopeo Posts: 13 Member
    Hola!

My first day was yesterday 3/10/14 looking for Medi buddies as well, please feel free to add me.
  • HI all. I was surfing for Medifast ideas and found this board. I'm amazed to find someone, keopeo, who started the same day as me- March 10, 2014. I'm doing OK so far. Biggest mistake was not using a deep enough bowl for the chicken soup and it made a huge mess in the microwave. Looking forward to sharing my progress and seeing how well all of you are doing!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    My first day was yesterday (3/13). Day one was hard. Hard to wrap my mind around calling a 110 calorie bar a "meal". But today is better and I'm learning how to adjust my expectations.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Hello,

I'm starting Medifast tomorrow, March 19th, I'm worried about the 1st three days since I find it hard to resist the sweets! I'm ready to lose this weight though! Feel free to friend request me.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    That's a good idea for a milk re-placer!
  • ranefyre
    ranefyre Posts: 2
    You know, the best thing about the MF program? They made huge variety of food that slow metabolism people like me don't normally get to eat. I'm not stuck with a crappy shake or bar as a meal replacement. It's mind boggling that I am eating a brownie that when baked tastes better than a lot of regular versions I have had. A few of the meals taste better than the meatless versions I found in health food stores. Granted, if you had been cooking for years like I have, they aren't even close to gourmet or high end pastries, got it. But when you spend all of your time and energy only one real meal vs 3, that meal tastes so much better.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    I did it. Its awesome. I lost over 70lbs and have kept it off for more than two years. I learned so much about myself. My eating habits. And how to take care of my body on that program. Its much deeper than just eating medically formulated meal replacements.
  • Decided to go on this when my father lost 20 pounds in 2 months, his blood pressure and cholesterol dropped as well. I need to lose 50-60 pounds, and I like not spending time prepping and cooking. Today is Day 5, and I've already dropped 5-6 pounds...so it's really working for me, even if some of that is water weight.

I've found most of the food is decent with some really good (most of the bars, shakes & chips), others taste good but the portion is not filling (veggie chilli). I don't know why some people think they can go on a Diet, never cut back or be hungry - for every diet, you're either cutting fat, carbs or calories or some combination thereof. Key is to find one where you're dropping wieght and able to stay on it, but the first couple days on any new eating plan are never easy. Try to pace yourself by eating a Medifast every 3 hours.

Is MediFast the answer for everyone? Probably not, depends on how your body reacts and what you can stick with...but I really like it and am well on my way at this pace!
  • angiermesa
    angiermesa Posts: 2 Member
    I'm restarting Medifast. It works you just have to work the program! I have lost 11 lbs in 13 days so far!
  • p0nderful
    p0nderful Posts: 29 Member
    Hello All!
    At the suggestion of my endocrinologist, I am starting MF on Monday. Of course I am hearing a lot of negativity, but I think everyone has to find their own way to weight loss. I weigh 210 and have been at this weight for years, no matter what I try. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to learn to live on a very low calorie diet. So I am psyched to try this and committed to do it for one month and see how it goes! Wish me luck!