I'm a binge eater... how do I stop?

Options
13»

Replies

• MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Could you say a bit more about what you mean by bingeing? It means such different things to different people.

For me personally I define binge eating as times when you do things like grab those economy size - big bag of hershey kisses or bag of cookies at the store. When you get home you start with just a few and by the end of the evening you have finished off the entire bag. Same thing with cupcakes, ice cream, or caramels.

For some people it is the entire bag of chips. Or entire large pizzas. It is kind of like the mind shuts off the part that says you are full.
    The only thing that works for me is to write down everything I eat and limit myself to the total calories recommended on MFP or exercise to get additional calories allowed.

I plan to have at least one sweet splurge during the week- such a scoop of custard at Culvers.

But once again limit the amount and access to the items that trigger me to go to excess.

Some things I have just had to keep out of the house even though other family members like them. Things such as cupcakes or doughnuts. Because one is never enough.
  • Seraphina_Rowan
    Seraphina_Rowan Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me with my binge eating is identifying the time of day that it would most happen, and had that at a cut off point. Mine is 8pm so no more food. Yes, its really hard to just tell yourself no, but it is possible.

Not bringing bad foods into the house or trying to resist them as much as possible is the best route to go. If you arent binge eating on junk again, take those trigger foods out of the house, it will only help you in your journey. Im not saying you cant have that food sometimes but, you need to eat it in moderation and then walk away from it, have someone hold onto it for you, put it somewhere where you dont want to really access in your home.

It is possible to do it, and it is hard. Im not saying there will be times that you fall off the wagon but you CAN do it, you can get back ON the wagon. Its only to make minor slip ups because it will only make your journey, yours.
  • mattbarnett2000
    mattbarnett2000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow binger here. Just reading a few posts thru and thought i should chime in.

IMO, sometimes binging happens, and that is why alot of us here are here in the first place. It is very hard to break long standing habits, so don't beat yourself up if you do happen to binge.

My advice is just to try and start a new day fresh, don't weigh yourself for a few days after, and get back to the good habits that you are trying to establish.

Good luck everyone
  • perdikatherine
    Options
    It's so good to know that other people face similar problems... I struggle with binge-eating too, though not as often as I used to. I try to keep it under control, usually one day per week, when I indulge in my cravings. My problem is that I usually crave for fatty sweets like cookies and muffins and I don't feel satisfied with the healthy alternatives posted above... On this day, I eat above my recommended calories, usually 3,000-4,000 calories (I know that's very unhealthy and I'm trying to work on it). The day when my cravings catch up with me is usually mid-week, when I have classes in the evening and I can't go to the gym. So, I think that my brain sees this day as my 'free' day and give in to everything. Of course the next day I have to pick myself up again and get back on track with healthy eating. Sometimes I feel that there will be a day when I won't be able to go back to the healthy lifestyle pre-binge and I'll fall off the wagon for good. Sometimes, I feel desperate and disappointed in myself...
    Any suggestions welcome...