Buying clothes in your goal size.

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of medium sized sweaters. I thought they'd look just right at goal. I'm not at goal yet, but they fit now, and the rate I'm going they will look baggier than I thought once I'm in my goal range.

But otherwise, no. I have a few old pairs of jeans from back in the late 90s during my teen years. Those serve as a marker.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think goal clothes are good to have, but I wouldn't go too overboard. Save some fun for when you ARE that weight and can actually enjoy the whole process of going to a shop, trying on that size 12 and looking great in the dressing room mirror. It will feel so much more exciting than just buying clothes for the future. Also..by the time you hit feb next year, you might look at some of the clothes you bought and be over the style!

What the other guy said; thrift shops all the way. They often have some really nice clothes and great brands, you'll have more fun scouting out that diamond in the rough, and if you buy a fantastic dress for $4 and haven't hit your goal weight in time, or (god forbid) you hit a stumbling block that throws your new healthy lifestyle totally out of whack, it won't feel like a crushing financial waste. Curious to know as well, what will be your milestones? Are you thinking of getting a new article of clothing for every few pounds or only for those big "Ahahahah YEEEEES!! BOOYAH" accomplishments?
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    nope. no money to buy clothes at all, much less ones i cant wear yet. i do have a few peices that were snug, that i'm hoping to fit into (hello little black pencil skirt!) but since i'm in transition r.e breastfeeding and losing weight all at once, and i want to do some serious recomp once i get close to goal, i have NO idea what size or shape i will be then. 140 pounds of fat looks very different than 140 pounds of muscle. :) hoping for a size 6, but muscle, not just thin.
    so. i wait. gonna need new shorts for the summer though.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    :(
    i totally agree with u
    My goal for now is to first get into the 1 digits sizes instead of double digits.
    Im always so jealous when i shop wiht my friend who wears a double zero... or just a 0,
    one day im going to fit into the XS category instead of XL

x.x

Why not just shoot for the best version of you instead of a size?
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No. I have such a long way to go, and by then the style may change.. and it's hard to say if those clothes would look right at me even at that weight. I see the motivational aspect of it, but I know I struggle to find clothes (no matter what size I am).. so personally I don't do this.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I havent bought anything, but i have a way too full box of my old clothes that used to fit when i was smaller, the sizes are all different so i can slowly empty it out as i go! I call it my "skinny box" and one day, i want to be able to fill it with the clothes dont fit because they're too big, and call it my "fat box"
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't mean to sound unsupportive but buying clothes in sizes you wish you were is depressing, stressful and shaming yourself for who you are now. It is a common mistake most women make. What if you will never be that size again? Then you got clothes kicking around as a reminder of your 'failure'. It is all just another way to stay a dieter for life. When I started my journey, I actually did the opposite, I threw out anything unreasonably small. I didn't need that crap hanging over my head.
    I don't need to try it on every couple months and cry if it looks like crap, neither do you.

I plan on buying new clothes AFTER I am happy and safely in the maintenance stage.
  • BeautifulChaos27
    Options
    I was debating doing this but I haven't been a healthy weight in so long I really have no idea what size I will be once I reach my goal weight. My boyfriend guessed a medium because of my big boobs, but I'm thinking (and slightly hoping) a small - since odds are my big boobs will become smaller boobs. But, I don't wanna go and buy clothes and then never fit into them... soo I'm stuck.
  • jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I ordered a lovely pair of jeans, but when they arrived they were too small, but rather than sending them back, i hung them on my wall near my bed so I would see them every day, when waking up, and going to sleep.

I tried them on yesterday, and they fit :D It was such an exciting day :D I'm going to hang some more up today for inspiration.

xx
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In general, no I don't do this - I can't buy clothes in the correct size without trying them on, what I think will look great on the rack looks pretty darn terrible on me!

Having said that, I did pick up a pair of ripped cropped jeans which look amazing for £4 in a sale - however the only size they have left was a uk 10. I'm a uk12/14 now so figured what the hell.

Am kinda tempted to buy a bikini though....
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I used to be smaller, so I have my old clothes to go by. Once in a while I'll bring out the size 4 shorts I really, really want to fit into again (they're badass shorts!)

I'd never actually buy anything I couldn't fit into because 1 - I have no money to do so and 2 - My body shape doesn't allow for me to just assume I'll fit into/look good in something even if it's my goal size.

Even when I had a 26" waist and was a size 2-4 I'd try on jeans at my size and they wouldn't look good, or they wouldn't "fit right" in the butt/waist area.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes buy something in a smaller size if: 1. I already own the same style in my current size, or 2. If I'm really close to going down a size, so I have a back up.

I learned my lesson. Now I do this too.

Huge summer clearance sale, so I bought a bunch of shorts and capris on sale that I thought I'd be wearing this summer.
    Can't even keep them up with a belt.

Same here. I found these beautiful black dress pants on a really good sale,I got them and hung them up waiting to wear them!! Tried them on, and the butt and thighs look saggy and big. So I never got a chance to wear them, and I can't return them, as they where on sale months and months and months ago.
  • Othelie24601
    Options
    I've recently started my weight loss journey (7 days in, really recent lol!) and I was wondering if anyone uses clothes in smaller sizes to help motivate them to loose weight?

The full story
    I started my weightloss journey last week and am already seeing improvements and this is motivating me to keep going. I go on holiday in February 2015 with my best friend on a girly sun holiday for a week. My ultimate goal is obviously to be healthy, but I want to be able to wear shorts and a t shirt, and a one piece on the beach without feeling massive!! I am currently a size 18 allover. Yesterday I got a bit overexcited and treated myself to a skirt in a size 12 as it was in the sale. I emptied an old suitcase and told myself I will buy myself something for my smaller holiday self every time I reach a goal/milestone. I just want to get others ideas in this, has anyone done this and it's proved successfull?
    Also my nanny is a dressmaker so if the clothes don't look right on my smaller frame she can do wonders with scissors and a sewing machine!!

Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this and answer.

Loosing inches xox

SW 01/03/14 250lbs
    CW 21/03/14 238lb
    GW#1 30/01/15 happy in a one piece
    UGW ? 140lb

I bought a pair of pants in a size smaller then what I'm wearing now, because it's my go to pants and they were on sale. But I don't think I'm going to buy things in my goal size. Mostly because I don't have the room and I can't sow to save my life.

But if this is something that motivates you, and since you have someone to help you adjust the clothing then go for it. Do whatever works for you!
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I bought a winter coat on clearance in a size L. I started at a 5x and now I am a 2x. I love my little purple coat so I am going to work hard not only to fit into it, but to be able to wear a great big pile of sweaters under it!

Normally I wouldn't do this, but my current coat is humongous and coats are very expensive when it's time to buy one. Now is a great time to get a good deal. I got mine for $20 at Sears. If I had been thinking, I should have bought a bathing suit in August/September!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I don't do this only because I'm living just above the poverty line, but I do have a couple goal outfits in mind that keep me motivated. I have never worn a cute summer dress or bikini, and every time I visualize how great I would feel in one of these items, it keeps me running on that treadmill or doing those crunches. So they will be my rewards when I lose the weight!

This is closer to me than buying ahead - in fact not being able to wear my existing clothes is scary to me; as I don't have money to buy smaller clothes - even second hand is expensive for my poor budget! But my form of exercise is walking (its free :smile: ) and I have started a jar of change that I find walking in hopes that I will be able to afford some new clothes. I will alter clothes as I can. I am almost slowing my dieting to accommodate my clothing budget - bras are the worst as I won't buy them used.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think it's motivating to buy clothes in a size slightly smaller than you are now. I did this while losing weight, got them at the thrift store. I don't think it's a good idea to buy clothes in your goal size. I wouldn't have found it very motivating to look at a size 6 when I wore a size 22. The goal size jeans you buy now may never fit due to style/cut. I have size 4's that fit perfectly and size 10's that are snug.

Agreed! I buy clothes that are down just one size, so I can have something to try on & see that something is happening, even if it's small. I can see that two months ago, this shirt didn't fit, but now it does - that's SO motivating to me. I don't really have a 'goal weight' & I couldn't imagine buying something 10 sizes too small. I don't want to force myself to have to get down to 115lbs or something just because of a pair of jeans I spent money on. If I end up at 150lbs & am happy & healthy, then that's where I'll stay.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this, except for 1 pair of pants that fit a little snug. I'm trying not to buy any new clothes until I reach my goal. I don't have that much extra money to spend anyway =(
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I bought a gym shirt that I love in a couple size smaller. It might ave also been the only size available haha but in general I dont
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't do this. I had some clothes that were too small for me (some that I used to wear and a couple that I almost fit into at some point) and when I slimmed down this time I completely changed shape so they never fit me. I ended up sulking because I still couldn't fit in the clothes I had and liked lol
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in goal size or goal weight. I think it is limiting.

I'm going to be the best me I can be. There are no "numbers" that promise to be that.