Not losing weight!

Options
I'm just wondering if I'm eating the correct amount of calories. I'm a 34 year old female, weigh 171 and I'm 5'7". My BMR is 1548 and my TDEE is 2128. I'm currently eating 1635 calories a day. I walk 4 times a week at a moderate pace and do zumba 2x a week.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you've lost 15 lbs.... :smile:

How long have you been trying to lose, and has the current calorie goal a recent change, or have you been eating at this level the whole time?
  • angelabenderzimmerman
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds since December 30th when I started. I've been stuck with the same 1-2 pound variance for almost a month.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. So you're either not being accurate with your counting or not logging everything. Over estimating your exercise calories or your figures are off. Go back to basics make sure you are weighing and measuring everything accurately and that you are using accurate entries on the database. Then double check your BMR/TDEE figures but remember what ever calculator you use to determine those it's an estimate. Good luck
  • angelabenderzimmerman
    Options
    I measure everything and count everything I eat. My BMR and TDEE are accurate from the calculator I used today.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You may be overestimating your calorie burn. You've lost 15 lbs, it takes less energy to simply move your body around now, and your body has probably adapted to your exercise routine, meaning it takes fewer calories to simply do the exercises. Keep up with the weighing/measuring of food and switch up your exercise routine. Add intervals to your walks, take an extra zumba class instead of a walk, or try a new workout all together. See if that gets the scale moving.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I measure everything and count everything I eat. My BMR and TDEE are accurate from the calculator I used today.

If you don't weight your food (solids) you have a large chance you are underestimating the intake along with probably over estimating burns.
  • angelabenderzimmerman
    Options
    I'll try to switch up my workouts. Thanks!
  • theineld50
    Options
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to shake things up a bit. If you've been eating and exercising at the same level for quite a while, your body may adjust to that level of intake and activity. Maybe throw some higher intensity workouts in throughout the week. How long have you been eating that reduced calorie level? It takes quite some time for adaptation to happen, but it could potentially be responsible for your weight stall. Eating at maintenance levels for a while (slightly increased caloric intake from your current level) can help increase metabolism, but honestly you're not that far in deficit to begin with. A leptin reset can sometimes pop people out of a plateau as well, but the necessary diet changes can be kind of extreme. Intermittent fasting is something else to look into, and would be a bit easier with lots of health benefits. Check out the Fast Diet.

IF study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23582559

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia on leptins:
    Dieters who lose weight experience a drop in levels of circulating leptin. This drop causes reversible decreases in thyroid activity, sympathetic tone, and energy expenditure in skeletal muscle, and increases in muscle efficiency and parasympathetic tone. The result is that a person who has lost weight has a lower basal metabolic rate than an individual at the same weight who has never lost weight; these changes are leptin-mediated, homeostatic responses meant to reduce energy expenditure and promote weight regain.

Some leptin reset stuff.
    http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/
    http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Based on your post, you do not appear to do any strength training. Is that is the case, I highly recommend you start a good strength program. This will help fire up your metabolism and help maintain lean body mass while you are losing weight. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Exercise changes doesn't mean weight loss...switching stuff up will give you a bit more calorie burn but not much.
  • theineld50
    Options
    Based on your post, you do not appear to do any strength training. Is that is the case, I highly recommend you start a good strength program. This will help fire up your metabolism and help maintain lean body mass while you are losing weight. Good luck!

This! Putting on a bit of muscle boosts your metabolism a lot. It's difficult/impossible to put on muscle while cutting calories unless you've got plenty of body fat, but as this guy mentioned it'll help maintain lean body mass which is important for burning calories and which tends to waste on long term diet programs with no lifting/resistance training.
  • angelabenderzimmerman
    Options

Exercise changes doesn't mean weight loss...switching stuff up will give you a bit more calorie burn but not much.

I already weigh/measure/calculate everything I eat. And log my exercise. I have a fitbit and use run keeper and MFP. I like to think I'm headed in the right direction.....
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    It might be that your body is just slow in losing weight.
    (People can be ignorant sometimes - "oh when I lose 1 lbs a week by eating 1800 calories then EVERYBODY must and obviously you're just not logging everything and cheating on yourself"-People, sigh)

Does your diet bother you, is it hard for you to eat that little or did it become normal for you?
    If you're comfortable with it, just stick with it. Not losing motivation is key, and even if it goes a little slower for you than for some other people, I am confident you will be able to get it off!
  • angelabenderzimmerman
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I already weigh/measure/calculate everything I eat. And log my exercise. I have a fitbit and use run keeper and MFP. I like to think I'm headed in the right direction.....

You are headed in the right direction..you have lost some weight and seem to be fluctuating 1-2lbs..which is actually quite normal.

I have gone 4 weeks without weight loss...sometimes fluctuating as well...it's not linear...

I guess my point was "changing up" your exercise doesn't do much if anything at all...I have been doing the same exercise for 6months...weight lifting and yes I lift heavier almost every workout but it is the same exercise...if I changed my exercise up everytime I flucuated I would be going nuts..

and not to belabour this point but logging accurately is key and you measure/weigh everything ...there is one more thing...choosing the correct entries...it can be a pain sometimes but that is also important.

Your diary is closed so it's hard to say for sure about that but I find lots (even vetrans) sometimes have to go back and readjust because they realize the entries they used weren't right...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    It might be that your body is just slow in losing weight.
    (People can be ignorant sometimes - "oh when I lose 1 lbs a week by eating 1800 calories then EVERYBODY must and obviously you're just not logging everything and cheating on yourself"-People, sigh)

Does your diet bother you, is it hard for you to eat that little or did it become normal for you?
    If you're comfortable with it, just stick with it. Not losing motivation is key, and even if it goes a little slower for you than for some other people, I am confident you will be able to get it off!

I don't see that anywhere in this thread...

am I missing something?
  • hannaawh
    Options
    If your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. So you're either not being accurate with your counting or not logging everything. Over estimating your exercise calories or your figures are off. Go back to basics make sure you are weighing and measuring everything accurately

edit: @SezxyStef not angelabenderz
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. So you're either not being accurate with your counting or not logging everything. Over estimating your exercise calories or your figures are off. Go back to basics make sure you are weighing and measuring everything accurately

This quote has nothing about what you said earlier...I see no reference to I eat this and lose this so you should be able to as well...

It was standard advice given to those with a closed diary who are saying they aren't losing weight...and don't let people know in advance that they do weigh/measure etc.
  • hannaawh
    Options

This quote has nothing about what you said earlier...I see no reference to I eat this and lose this so you should be able to as well...

It was standard advice given to those with a closed diary who are saying they aren't losing weight...and don't let people know in advance that they do weigh/measure etc.

It is rude and something I do not just notice on this thread.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

It is rude and something I do not just notice on this thread.

your new here aren't you....