Counting Steps

Options
I use a pedometer at work, I do a lot of walking. I run a food department for OSJL. Today I recorded 15,113 steps for 1 hr and 51 minutes which burned 887 calories. I was wondering if I should be adding this to my exercise diary. I add when I walk my dog and play Wii Sport. If I add the steps I don't come close to my calorie goal.

57895803.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would. I do.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have used a fitbit for nearly two years and let it automatically sync to MFP. It motivates me to move more throughout the day.
  • tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    is this a new job? how long have you been walking that much for work? if its something that you've always been doing, I would say no. I am on my feet all day for work and do quite a bit of walking as well but I only add extra exercise that wasn't a part of my daily life before I started this fitness/weight loss journey.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    15113 steps seems like a lot for less than 2 hours - on a busy day for me I can get over 20,000 for the entire day :indifferent:
  • frankmochrie
    frankmochrie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    is this a new job? how long have you been walking that much for work? if its something that you've always been doing, I would say no. I am on my feet all day for work and do quite a bit of walking as well but I only add extra exercise that wasn't a part of my daily life before I started this fitness/weight loss journey.

I've been doing it for 3 years now,,it's my 2nd job my day starts at 1:30 am and ends around 3 pm. My 1st job is driving so I don't get much from that, but the other job involves a lot of lifting and walking. I haven't been counting it. I'm not sure what to do about it.

57895803.png
  • frankmochrie
    Options
    15113 steps seems like a lot for less than 2 hours - on a busy day for me I can get over 20,000 for the entire day :indifferent:

I'm not sure how the time is counted. It only showed 1 hr 51 minutes but that was in a 8 hour shift. I have been getting around 15,000 steps just at work. I haven't counted the whole day. Not sure about the time?

57895803.png
  • frankmochrie
    Options
    I would. I do.

I did add it today. I like the fact that I burned that many calories. It just doesn't seem fair I guess, like I'm cheating myself:happy:

57895803.png
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how the time is counted. It only showed 1 hr 51 minutes but that was in a 8 hour shift. I have been getting around 15,000 steps just at work. I haven't counted the whole day. Not sure about the time?

57895803.png

Ah okay that makes sense - they are designed to track all steps throughout the day - is it a fit bit or one that syncs with MFP? If it is that might be the best way to do it. Then MFP will adjust your calories for you. Sorry I am not exactly sure how to do it as mine is a Loop and doesn't sync with MFP.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would. I do.

I did add it today. I like the fact that I burned that many calories. It just doesn't seem fair I guess, like I'm cheating myself:happy:

57895803.png

Make sure you change your activity level to sedentary if you haven't already so that you're not double counting the calorie burn.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Certainly log it by all means. Be wary of eating back these calories however "proceed with monitoring". 15,000 steps is higher than an average person so this is great (I am averaging around 10,000 steps a day personally and am not inspired to increase this right now). (as a side note is that dog of yours a Skye terrier? (we have 2 Skye Terriers) ) .

For reference: 15,000 steps in 2 hours is 125 steps per minute = 2 steps per second(ish), this is really hoofing it so likely average the steps over the 8 hour period.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This is done during the course of your day, I would not added it. Your setting should be set to active and any additional exrrcise should be recorded.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    This is done during the course of your day, I would not added it. Your setting should be set to active and any additional exrrcise should be recorded.
    ^^^This.

Work is activity level. Exercise is workouts.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • frankmochrie
    Options

Ah okay that makes sense - they are designed to track all steps throughout the day - is it a fit bit or one that syncs with MFP? If it is that might be the best way to do it. Then MFP will adjust your calories for you. Sorry I am not exactly sure how to do it as mine is a Loop and doesn't sync with MFP.

It's a VERIDIAN and it doesn't, sync.I'm going to get one that does. I don't think I was reading the time right. It was 15,000 steps in 8 hours. I'm not going to worry about the time. Today I did 12,700 steps in 6.5 hours had a short day at work.

57895803.png
  • frankmochrie
    Options
  • frankmochrie
    Options
    Certainly log it by all means. Be wary of eating back these calories however "proceed with monitoring". 15,000 steps is higher than an average person so this is great (I am averaging around 10,000 steps a day personally and am not inspired to increase this right now). (as a side note is that dog of yours a Skye terrier? (we have 2 Skye Terriers) ) .

For reference: 15,000 steps in 2 hours is 125 steps per minute = 2 steps per second(ish), this is really hoofing it so likely average the steps over the 8 hour period.

Good point about not eating back these calories, that is what I was not sure about. I'll wont add it until after my food is added for the day. As for my kid (dog) his is a Yorkie, mother was a Boston Terrier and his father was a Yorkshire. His name is Benson and like I said his my kid. I see Skye's have long fur, mine is short fur but wiry. His my buddy, loves to walk.

57895803.png
  • frankmochrie
    Options
    I said that I wasn't going to worry about the time but I have too in order to add it to my log.

57895803.png