can everyone have a flat belly?

Options
Just wondering if its possible that if someone tries and does the work, is it possible to achieve? I ask because I'm a good weight yet still have a giggly pooch

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I hope so lol I'm in the same boat
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    I'm pretty sure yes. If you're at a healthy weight, then focus on strength training for body composition rather than losing :)
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Not me! lol. I have a billion stretch marks from pregnancy, and I will never have a flat stomach again.

For most people it depends largely on your age and how much weight you have to lose/have lost. I know some folks need cosmetic surgery to remove some of the skin.
  • christinelast
    Options
    I hope so too!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Chances are you have fat in other places you're overlooking such as on your thighs, hips, butt.

You'll have to keep reducing your bodyfat via a calorie deficit to get a flat stomach, and you can't determine where the fat will come off. For some people the fat will come off the stomach last, especially that stubborn area near your bellybutton.

Some people have had great success leaning out their stomach with low carb dieting (with a calorie deficit), others use fasted cardio (as soon as you wake up) to burn off the fat.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Anyone can get their body fat % low enough to have a flat stomach, unless you have an issue with loose skin, then it won't look quite as flat.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Anyone can get their body fat % low enough to have a flat stomach, unless you have an issue with loose skin, then it won't look quite as flat.

What iif the person is at a healthy weight and still has a belly? That's my case as well
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options

What iif the person is at a healthy weight and still has a belly? That's my case as well

LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lifting has made my tummy SO much flatter!! (And my bum rounder!!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lifting has made my tummy SO much flatter!! (And my bum rounder!!)

Yup this..I love how lifting is changing my body...I wont even wear long shirts now cause I love my bum in jeans again...
  • aworkoutroutine
    aworkoutroutine Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In terms of having no or very little fat, almost all people can achieve this unless they have a thyroid disorder or very very loose skin. But even in those cases either surgery or medical drugs can help!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hope so lol I'm in the same boat

Every time someone asks something about a flat belly you chime in. Every time I tell you that it is possible. This is for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1224559-information-vs-application

This is for the OP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

By the way, I was obese when I got pregnant with both of my kids. I now have a flat stomach. Lifting and an appropriate calorie deficit was the key. Stick with it long term. You can get there.
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    In terms of having no or very little fat, almost all people can achieve this unless they have a thyroid disorder or very very loose skin. But even in those cases either surgery or medical drugs can help!

Its funny you say that cause I do have hypothyroid! Is it still possible though?
  • cupidval
    cupidval Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so! I'm fine with how the rest of my body looks except for the one pack (beer belly). lol I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve a flat belly (six pack would be nice). :laugh:
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so! I'm fine with how the rest of my body looks except for the one pack (beer belly). lol I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve a flat belly (six pack would be nice). :laugh:

I think that's called a keg ;-)

And same for dudes, lift.

AND IF YOU DONT WANT TO LIFT, High intensity interval training can help... But not as fast or as awesomely as lifting :-)
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! ( hypothyroidism needs to be factored in but in most cases is not insurmountable, some body types can have loose skin also but again corrective measures can be put in place ). Also note that the belly and thighs are fatiptal city - it is the last fronteir of fat storage and always "falls" last.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't know about EVERYONE, but most if they work at it.

I don't have one, and I've had a tummy tuck after losing 100lbs+. Then I had another abdominal surgery, had my abs cut through and I think I may need another tuck (which will NEVER happen!! - that was the worst surgery ever!)

SO, right now flat is not looking like it's in my future until my BF is below 14% or something.. and I'm in pretty good shape.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It depends on genetics, health, body shape, BF %...a number of factors. I will never have a flat stomach, unless I become extremely thin and probably very sick. How do I know this? I have been anorexic and not had a flat stomach. My mother carries weight on her belly, all my (even very thin) cousins and family members have non flat bellys, I have several illnesses that will stop it from happening including one that means I have a collection of fluid in my abdomen. So no, not everyone can, but you don't know until you try. Just don't make it the be all and end all.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone can have a flatter stomach, comparing to themsevles, that is...with the right diet and workout routine. But if you want to compare yourself to miranda kerr...that's a different story..
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Thx everyone. I really hope mine gets flat soon cause I'm already getting real skinny
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I will never have a flat belly, even as a young teen when I was skinny and very little body fat, my stomach concaves out. It had no flab but it definitely wasn't flat.

I also carry my fat in my stomach area and from there it spreads, so it will take a lot more effort then I am putting in now to get that fantastic low fat stomach. Currently I am just looking for a reduction. LOL