OPINIONS PLEASE! (don't worry I won't cry.) My goals:

Options
I am a 20 year old 5ft3 female.
I am currently quitting smoking (3 days down, woo!) so my goals may seem very easy at 3lb every 4 weeks but I do not want to push myself to hard as I want to succeed in quitting and losing weight. I do eat to replace smoking, which slowly but surely I will stop. So I will stop rabbiting on now. Here are by goals:

StartWeight+Date: 12 stone 7 on the 11/03/14
GoalOne: 12 stone 4 by 08/04/14
GoalTwo: 12 stone 1 by 06/05/14
GoalThree: 11 stone 13 by 03/06/14
GoalFour: 11 stone 10 by 01/07/14
GoalFive: 11 stone 7 by 29/07/14
GoalSix: 11 stone 4 by 26/08/14
GoalSeven: 11 stone 1 by 23/09/14
GoalEight: 10 stone 13 by 21/10/14
GoalNine: 10 stone 10 by 18/11/14
GoalTen+UltimateGoal: 10 stone 7 by 16/12/14

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My biggest recommendation is to not put time limits on weight loss, it's not linear sometimes and you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Just focus on your calories and you will lose weight at your own pace.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'll start off with 3 lb a week is very ambitious. Maybe the first week or two when you start it's reasonable (easy) but as time goes, the 3lb mark is a bit high. 2/week is probably healthier for weightloss,

And of course anything Beta_ray_bill says =-)
  • pattirn57
    Options
    Losing weight while stopping smoking is difficult. Your goals seem reasonable. Make sure you always have celery, carrots, apples , and other low cal things around to snack on...also, walk or exercise . When I quit 17 years ago, I realized how much TIME I wasted smoking..make sure you have things to occupy your time..I started to crochet again. Good luck !
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to have goals, but if you put an expiration date you are more likely to gain it all back after. Diets are temporary - aim for a lifestyle change. The weight will come off in both cases, but you'll have more long term success if you just incorporate it into your life. It's taken me over a year to lose 45 lbs and I'm still going. I have another 20 or so to lose to get to my "goal", but I know I'll get there eventually if I just keep doing what I'm doing. Maintenance is also a lot of work once you do get to your goal weight.

Read these: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It will help you get started. Good luck to you! There's a lot of great people and resources here.
  • pattirn57
    Options
    3 pounds every 4 weeks !
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With 26 lb. to lose, a healthy, realistic, sensible goal is .5 lb. per week.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh ok.. yeah, much more reasonable.. =-) I read 3/week for 4 weeks.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    My biggest recommendation is to not put time limits on weight loss, it's not linear sometimes and you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Just focus on your calories and you will lose weight at your own pace.

This.

Keep in mind that there are other factors to consider as well. You're likely to gain water weight before or during your period, and any time you have too much sodium, or drink too little water, or overexercise and get sore muscles. So you might not hit your weight goals by your deadlines, and it may have nothing to do with fat loss -- you might just be retaining water on your weigh-in day.

I do think it's good to have these goals, as long as they're not hard and fast deadlines. Keep them as a lighthouse to guide your way, not a destination. :flowerforyou:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    ^This.

Not pushing yourself too hard is a great idea, but I also don't recommend putting a time limit/goal on things. Weight loss is definitely not linear. There are going to be some weeks you lose at the rate you are targeting, some weeks less, and others nothing at all. It can be frustrating when you hit those little to nothing weeks, and if you don't "hit the target on x day" you're going to be disappointed and even more frustrated.

Just keep on keeping on. Log your calories as accurately as possible, weigh your food, and let the weight come however and whenever it comes off.

Good luck!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe in time limits on goals especially weight loss goals.
    Go by the way your clothes are fitting or what the tape measure says, scale weight is rubbish.

Also I think that putting up time limits is only setting you up for failure. The weight is gonna come off but not according to your plan. So just get on with it, celebrate the milestones and don't worrie about how long it takes you, to many things inbetween that might set you back a ittle bit but make life more enjoyable (like birthdays, last minute bbqs and such things)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! That's really wonderful! I did that myself after 10 years of smoking so I know how difficult it can be!
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! Chewing gum should help your cravings. My dad had a heartattack due to stress and smoking and chewing gum helped him quit (its been almost 10 years for him).
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on the result - weight loss, I would set behavior goals instead. Most people fail at weight loss because they fail,to execute the correct strategy over a consistent period of time. Then 98% of those who manage to lose weight put it all back on because they are not able to sustain the behaviours

Set behavior goals:
    - will eat "x" amount of calories each day
    - will stay within macronutrient boundaries each day
    - will allow flexibility in eating by planning my treats
    - will get to bed at 10pm each night so I can get 8 hours sleep
    - will not miss a attend th training workout this week

Etc etc.... You get the point

Determine the best strategy to lose the weight you want and rather than measuring your success by the scale, measure your success by how well you nail the behaviours. Use the results (scale, bf%, the way your clothes fit) to adjust strategy

A
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on the result - weight loss, I would set behavior goals instead. Most people fail at weight loss because they fail,to execute the correct strategy over a consistent period of time. Then 98% of those who manage to lose weight put it all back on because they are not able to sustain the behaviours

Set behavior goals:
    - will eat "x" amount of calories each day
    - will stay within macronutrient boundaries each day
    - will allow flexibility in eating by planning my treats
    - will get to bed at 10pm each night so I can get 8 hours sleep
    - will not miss a attend th training workout this week

Etc etc.... You get the point

Determine the best strategy to lose the weight you want and rather than measuring your success by the scale, measure your success by how well you nail the behaviours. Use the results (scale, bf%, the way your clothes fit) to adjust strategy

A

I agree wholeheartedly with this. That way, if you don't get the result you're hoping for one week, due to water retention or what have you, you won't panic and give up. Do the right things, and be patient. You can't help but succeed that way. Good luck!
  • Cmejstrik
    Cmejstrik Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is missing the mark here. Quitting smoking is THE most important thing you can do for your health right now. It's hard. I quit a million times before it stuck, so I know it's hard. I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight right now. The stress makes it harder to stay off the cigarettes. I hope you do whatever you need to to not smoke. You can lose weight later.

So, maybe try to eat at maintenance right now, and slowly decrease calories as you are successful at quitting? And forgive yourself a few pounds. It's worth it for the benefit of finally being a non-smoker!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is missing the mark here. Quitting smoking is THE most important thing you can do for your health right now. It's hard. I quit a million times before it stuck, so I know it's hard. I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight right now. The stress makes it harder to stay off the cigarettes. I hope you do whatever you need to to not smoke. You can lose weight later.

So, maybe try to eat at maintenance right now, and slowly decrease calories as you are successful at quitting? And forgive yourself a few pounds. It's worth it for the benefit of finally being a non-smoker!

As an ex smoker, COMPLETELY agree. Don't bite off more than you can chew. What you are doing is awesome and HUGE. If you gain a bit of weight doing it than so be it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

This.

I know everyone is different with their goals and motivation. But for me personally it was better to set a goal with no strict timeline on it and then achieve it and reset. For example, last March I started MFP at 262 lb with the goal of hitting 220 lb by the end of 2013. I had achieved my goal by September and by the end of December I was headed for 199. Once I hit that goal in mid-January, I decided I wanted to get to 180 during 2014. I'm now around 189-191 depending on the day so I felt 180 was "too easy" for this whole year and now my goal is to hit 170 lb during this year.

That's just me though. We are all different in what motivates us, and you have some good advice already.

Also, great news that you're quitting smoking!!